Guest traybears

can we aford this move!! supermarket wage??

Guest traybears

:sad:hi,how much would you earn in a supermarket per hour,or hospital or cleaning etc.want to work a few hours to help.oh wages going to be a lot lower than we origally thought.can we really aford this move??going out with around £40,000,want to buy after 6 months but want to weigh everything up first.need to know a rough wage.as have 4 kids,going on temp visa 495 =no child benefit!!turning into a nightmare!!feeling desparate!!!

Guest jonseywife

Hi Traybears

Im worried about the money side too as we have four kids also................ but at least we have to child benefit to fall back on, as we going out on a PR !!!

Have you checked out the job sites to get a rough idea on what wages you can expect?? Try these link below, hope it helps :

Job Search - Australian jobs - Job listing - Find a job - CareerOne

SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site

Good luck & hope it works out OK for you

Sally-ann :)

Guest traybears

HI,THANKS FOR THAT HAVE FOUND AN AVERAGE WAGE OF $53,000 PER YEAR.NOT TOO BAD.WE MIGHT NOT BUY FOR FIRST 2 YEARS TILL MORE SETTLED WORK WISE.ALSO THEN CAN BECOME PERMINANT.WE JUST SO GOT TO TRY IT.THANKS GUYS.TRACY &STEVE.XX.

HI THERE DONT KNOW ABOUT SUPERMARKETS BUT WHEN I WAS OUT IN PERTH IN MARCH MY WIFES FRIEND HAD SEVERAL WEE CLEANING JOBS IN PRIVATE HOUSES SHE WAS GETTING $15 AN HOUR CASH IN HAND. WHEN WE WENT SHOPING WE OVERHEARD A YOUNG LAD ABOUT 17 ASKING FOR AN APPLICATION FOR A JOD IN A DELI WAGES WERE $17 AN HOUR AND THAT WAS WITHOUT EXPERIENCE. JUST LIKE OVER HERE THERE IS LOTS OF CASUAL WORK GOING ABOUT IF YOU KNOW WHERE TO LOOK.IF YOU HAVE YOUNG CHILDREN AT SCHOOL THE BEST THING IS TO TALK TO THE OTHER MUMS. HOPE THIS HELPS A LITTLE. PUT IT THIS WAY YOU ARE BETTER BEING POOR IN OZ THAN POOR HERE AT LEAST THE SUNS SHINES. :jiggy:

LIFE IS A COIN , YOU CAN SPEND IT ON WHATEVER YOU WISH , BUT ... YOU CAN ONLY SPEND IT ONCE

Hi Traybears

Aldi pay $19 per hour as do Coles. Think Safeway is less though. I applied for Coles but failed the online test (quite hard i thought) I used to work at Coles 20 years ago and you could just pick up application and go for it but now everything is online. I applied for Safeway too but that was about 5 months ago and not heard. I think you are requested to be available 24/7 and be able to work whenever they want.

I am in Melbourne but assume its the same anywhere. I would do private cleaning you could get $20 per hour cash in hand if you picked the right area. Very easy to put a quick ad in the paper.

Anyway if you come to Melbourne my hubby wants to train as a painter and decorator so tell your hubby to show mine the ropes!!!

All the best hope it all falls into place

Georgina

Guest traybears

hi everyone,thanks for all your replies.its really helped.still going to go for it!!!

$53,000 doesn't sound so bad - where's that? My hubby is an electronics engineer and gets less than that and nurses start on less than that too - what job was it for?

Ali

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Guest traybears

HI ALI,SOME FRIENDS OF OURS ARE GOING, SENT IT TO US.I'LL FIND OUT THOUGH.THIS WAS THE AVERAGE WAGE (53,000).34,000 WAS MINIMAL AND 93.000 AS MAXIMUM.IT WAS ON A WEB SITE,HAD A LIST OF TRADES JOBS

Guest traybears

HI ALI,WEB SITE FOR SALARYS IS WWW.MYCAREER.COM.AU THEN GO TO TRADES AND SERVICES THEN SALARY CENTRE.HAVE ALL JOBS THEIR.TRACY.XX.

hi everyone,thanks for all your replies.its really helped.still going to go for it!!!

Hi There....I think a lot of us are going out (including us) and taking a big chance with the money side,:skeptical: my deep down opinion is that I would rather be poor out there than rich here...we will both be taking pay cuts and dipping into our equity to live at first, but just plodding on in the UK is getting very depressing and going nowhere.:arghh:

GOOD LUCK

Pat & Helen

Think I need to get hubby another job then!!

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Guest traybears

Hi Pat & Helen,i Agree With You.just A Bit Scary With 4 Kids To Support.but I'm Sure We're all Do Well And Be Happy.thanks.tracy.

Guest traybears

hi ali,did you check your oh's job on there?tracy.

Not yet - I'm waiting to see if he gets a pay rise!!

Hi Tracy....just looked at your ages......at least you have youth on your side.....I am 46 and Helen is 38. We are hopefully going out on my skills so we will have a temp 457 to rely on....but where there is a will ..there is a way,eh.Pat

Patsmec,

Hubby and are are 43 - it's never too late!

Ali

Hi Ali

Me and Helen are from near Clitheroe and its 10 to 3 we have a BBQ/ 40th party at 5pm ....and its raining cats and dogs, we are over in Perth in August to try and move things along....your winter....got a feeling the wheather will still be better than this.

Pat

Guest traybears

hi chellem,which visa are you going on?what does your oh do?tracy.

Patsmec - we've had rain but it's been much needed and not everyday like uk.(although we are forcast rain all next week), but because people have outdoor patio areas you still sit outside if it's warm enough. It gets a bit chilly first thing in the morning and at night but generally has been about 18 - 20 degrees during the day, I've not worn a jacket for 6 months (just a cardigan or jumper in winter) and hubby has only worn long trousers if we've been out somewhere nice for dinner.

Ali

Guest THE JONEZYS

We have been over here for 7 1/2 months now and I have just started looking for casual/part time work. What I have found is that retail and cleaning actually pay a bit more than office work. Most admin jobs I have applied for are around $16 an hour but retail and cleaning pay around $19/20.

Lesley

Guest Macd
We have been over here for 7 1/2 months now and I have just started looking for casual/part time work. What I have found is that retail and cleaning actually pay a bit more than office work. Most admin jobs I have applied for are around $16 an hour but retail and cleaning pay around $19/20.

Lesley

I do office work anything from reception to legal secretary and wonder why this is, you'd think it would be the other way round. Is it because people don't want to do these jobs? :err:

Tracey

Guest Dave53
Hi There....I think a lot of us are going out (including us) and taking a big chance with the money side,:skeptical: my deep down opinion is that I would rather be poor out there than rich here...we will both be taking pay cuts and dipping into our equity to live at first, but just plodding on in the UK is getting very depressing and going nowhere.:arghh:

GOOD LUCK

Pat & Helen

We have been in Australia for almost 20 yrs now . We are in a position whereby we travel between Britain and Australia about every 18 mnths or so on family visits, and as such can see " both sides of the coin " . When I read posts like this one , my mind immediately goes back to when we first emigrated . I took a 50% cut in pay on arrival , and boy did we struggle . It was only because we had a fair bit of money ( about $60,0000 ) in the bank that we kept our heads above water . Don't fall into the trap of thinking that being poor in Australia is preferable to being rich in Britain . That is dangerous ground to be on .Being poor with the Sun on your back is no substitute for being rich and wet !! . The Sun and open spaces won't pay your rent or put food on the table and the attraction will soon disappear .. I'm sorry to be so blunt , but that's just the way I see it ... I may be wrong of course .. All the very best to you .

I kinda agree with Dave..even though I hate myself for being so negative/realistic!:embarrassed:

My OH (clever thing, but quite :wacko:) brings home a bit more than your quoted average, and although we do it, it can be quite stressful and like others we know (Aussies) live from pay date to pay date.

I think that a positive can-do attitude helps heaps. I also think that if you are bringing money over and are quite canny from the off (and not lulled into translating $ into £ before you start living off a more limited budget!) you could bulk out any shortfall, at least until you become PR's and eligible for certain benefits.

I've come clean and listed our monthly outgoings on another thread (am stupid so have forgotten the title already:wideeyed:), if that's any help.

Where there's a will, there's a way and all that! And it is fun in the sun!

:wubclub:LC

Hi Dave53…..Thanks for the honest reply, probably sounded like I had the rose specs on...I think I simplified the message a bit too much.

Yes we will be taking a pay cut and dipping in the equity but there will still be a safety zone in the bank to allow us to buy a home with a 20 – 30% mortgage hopefully and we are hoping that Helen will finish Nursing at an aussie uni and that should make things comfortable again.

But I am not under any illusions that it will all run smooth …but I fancy taking a chance with the future in Oz rather than here and we will take the pain before the gain to help give my young sons the chances that I think are more and more limited in the UK.

Cheers Pat

Guest Dave53

Pat ..

I think you have the right attitude . You realise that its not going to all milk and honey and that there is no substitute for hard work and a lot of sacrifice . With that I think you will overcome the obstacles . I apologise for being so blunt in my earlier posts . It's just that I read so many posts that want me sometimes to scream out and say " think again !! " . I suppose we are in a unique situation whereby we almost have two lives , an Australian one and a British one . Both are good in their different ways , and honestly there is little to choose between the two . There is good and bad in both .However having said that , would we do the same again ??? ... probably not ..