k8bug79

What do you think will happen to the spouse visa in the next few years?

Hello, I am waiting until we can afford to move to apply for the Spouses visa, I am married to an Australian citizen by descent and have 2 children with him, 1 from a previous marriage.

We started looking at this abouta year ago. Visa processing times were quick and easy. But then the big shake up happened and the processing times are creeping up and up. I know that regardless I will have to wait whatever the time is, as when we are ready to go what will be will be. However I have been trying to find out why the times are increasing and any peoples views on what is likely to happen to them in the future. At the moment we would nee dto be totally ready financially as by the time the visa was processed we could have as little as a few months to get out there before medicals and police checks expired. Originally our plan had been to get most of the way, lodge the visa and then start looking for jobs in the hope of a relocation package and if not leave it until the last possible moment.

Now we are looking at getting hubby to go out there ahead and findinga job and a house and we join him. But I don't want to plan this route if suddenly the processing jumps to a year for eg.

On an aside does anyone know if I could join hubby a bit earlier than my visa on a tourist visa?

Sorry I know there are loads of threads on this visa and loads on the general changes but I can't seem to locate the information I am looking for. Does anyone have an opinions or inside knowledge of what the plans are with the spouses visa?

Thanks

The

Kate (34), Lewis (37), Eve (11), Rhys (7), Phoebe (5)

DH granted Citizenship by descent 30/10/09 sub class 100 visa granted 4/12, Arrived 5th Sept 13.:biggrin:

I don't think anyone has a crystal ball, but the general trend is that all Partner visas seem to be taking longer to process - for no other reason that DIAC has applied an arbitrary cap to the number of visas that can be issued from a given office in a year.

One of the agents said, it is better to apply for a visa in the present - when you know what the current rules are - rather try and predict how they might look in the future.

I know it's extra expense, but have you considered applying for the visa ASAP then you making a short validation trip (by yourself)? Once you've activated it, you'd have at least another four years to make the move. The additional cost would just be the cheapest return flight you can find and maybe a few nights budget accomodation - which would be cheaper than the cost of the visa application (when you add in medicals etc).

I don't think anyone has a crystal ball, but the general trend is that all Partner visas seem to be taking longer to process - for no other reason that DIAC has applied an arbitrary cap to the number of visas that can be issued from a given office in a year.

One of the agents said, it is better to apply for a visa in the present - when you know what the current rules are - rather try and predict how they might look in the future.

I know it's extra expense, but have you considered applying for the visa ASAP then you making a short validation trip (by yourself)? Once you've activated it, you'd have at least another four years to make the move. The additional cost would just be the cheapest return flight you can find and maybe a few nights budget accomodation - which would be cheaper than the cost of the visa application (when you add in medicals etc).

I did think about that but I think the children, certianly my eldest, would have to do a validation trip also which given their age it would not be fair to do a return flight, and we are unfortunately in no situation to afford a full holiday out there at the moment. However if they didn't need to go me and hubby had been banding about the idea of us two going for a reccie and going backpack/ budget accomodationa nd cheap as possible to check out Adelaide and Melbourne.

Can anyone shed any light on whether the children definitely need to go. The younger two can't get citizenship by descent as my husband has never lived in Oz so doesn't have the minimum 2 years residency and as I said my eldest daughter would be going with me with her Dads permission.

DH granted Citizenship by descent 30/10/09 sub class 100 visa granted 4/12, Arrived 5th Sept 13.:biggrin:

Bum! It does seem more complicated than I thought..

I know if only I had thought all this through before having kids lol. I had the option as I met Lew when I was 16 and we got together, split and I married my now ex. See if I had onlyhad that crystal ball we all need i could have been there living it up now lol........actually no becasue at that time the cut off point for applying for citizenship by descent was 18 and Lew was already 19 and he didn't realise until last year he could apply. Ah well guess we'll just have to sit tight and hope

From what you've described. All of your children would be considered as migrating (they don't have Australian passports) and would therefore need visas that would need to be validated too.

You'll find some way, I'm very sure :o)

Thanks. On the plus side I really can't see the processing ti,es becoming ludicrous such as years, because as someone said on here before there will always be Australians who meet and marry other natiionalities, and they are not in the custom of splitting up genuine families/ couples. However I dread suddenly finding that the processing times go towards a year :-( Thanks for your opinions though

I've been wondering the same thing about the increasing wait. I'm Aussie and moved in with my Irish partner in April this year so we aren't elligible to apply for his Visa until the middle of next year. We were hoping to be moved to Oz by next Christmas. We'll be lucky to be there by Christmas the year after at this rate!

I've been wondering the same thing about the increasing wait. I'm Aussie and moved in with my Irish partner in April this year so we aren't elligible to apply for his Visa until the middle of next year. We were hoping to be moved to Oz by next Christmas. We'll be lucky to be there by Christmas the year after at this rate!

Wishing you luck when it comes to applying. I just hope we can find the money soon to amke movinga reality and then hopefully the wait times won't have increased too much:daydreaming: