Signing of the SMPs "is imminent" ...

Alan Collett

Hi VickyMel.

My understanding is that as soon as the SMPs are signed off all processing on Cat3 apps will stop.

I like to think that those Cat3 applicants who have been asked to arrange meds and penals will progress to grant, but we all know how DIAC sometimes doesn't handle applications as we might like.

Best regards.

They did when they revoked the CSL.

I can see light at the end of the tunnel!! We have our meds booked this am and I don't know how I will manage without PIO for a few hours! :wacko:

:biglaugh: Take yr mobile !!!!!!!!!!!!! pmsl !

Ah Great post Alan thankyou :arghh: we have Tra to wait for yet , Then see who wants us :S . :jiggy:I hope everyone who has waited for so long and did everything possible gets there wish ! :wubclub:

Brideycollette

I'm getting nervous now with the imminent release of the smp's in case we're not on it. Then we stay in category 4 with the long uncertain wait.

Fingers crossed for you, I have followed your story and often wondered what you had decided to do after all the knock backs, its been a very long wait and i hope it pays off for you.:wubclub:

Guest smithys
I can see light at the end of the tunnel!! We have our meds booked this am and I don't know how I will manage without PIO for a few hours! :wacko:

Good Luck Jodie xxxxx

Wishing everyone luck too for the SMP's x

Guest GemandJay

Thanks Alan

Good luck everyone... been here before haven't we, but can't help but get a little excited!!!

Hope you all have a great weekend x

Gemma

Good luck everyone!

I now want a badge to say I've survived the medicals! Rich says he now feels lighter after having blood,urine tests and £££ taken from him! :)

Guest VickyMel

Not the sort of pounds you like to loose!

That was quick you must be near a Medical centre.

Good luck all lets hope this is really it and we find out once and for all with no more waiting.

I keep checking any SMP threads on behalf of my son's partner. We are just worried that if and when they are finally announced it will be a mad free-for-all scramble you won't be able to get onto the sites, or they keep crashing because so many people are trying to apply at the same time. I wonder if the States have considered this.

I keep checking any SMP threads on behalf of my son's partner. We are just worried that if and when they are finally announced it will be a mad free-for-all scramble you won't be able to get onto the sites, or they keep crashing because so many people are trying to apply at the same time. I wonder if the States have considered this.

I thought of that the other night :eek: Guess time will tell

Guest VickyMel

:wacko: Even PIO has crashed a couple of times when major action was happening and we all keped pushing refresh and posting!

You just have to stay up all night and keep an eye on things and phone them when it happens - then they will owe you big holidays in Oz!

But you are right is is a bit of a problem

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

I suspect that the release of the SMPs is going to be the start of a whole new problem, not a solution to a problem.

I'm really sorry to be a Cassandra about this.

However, having opened an Interim SS List a couple of weeks ago, SA have now closed their Interim List with regard to certain occupations on it. SA have said:

21 October 2010

Planning levels have been reached for the following occupations for the 2010-11 Program Year and are no longer available for State Sponsorship:

* 233211 - Civil Engineer

* 261313 - Software Engineer

* 261312 - Developer Programmer

* 261111 - ICT Business Analyst

* 261112 - Systems Analyst

* 233513 - Production or Plant Engineer

Immigration SA will not be proceeding with applications that have been submitted (including those with all essential documents).

Please monitor this website for occupations in next year's Program Year. Alternatively, some of these occupations may be considered under Off List criteria.

Home :: Make The Move

George Lombard has commented:

I don't see the problem. South Australia opened up certain Schedule 3 occupations for state sponsorship, received a great wad of applications and reached their planning levels for those occupations in the current program year. Instead of stringing people along they've closed applications for those occupations. It may affect people who had pre-July ACS skills assessments but my guess is that they've taken into account those who they had previously sponsored in determining their planning levels.

FWIW this is going to be how all the states have to manage their quotas, right down to the last nurse, engineer, architect or whatever.

Cheers,

George Lombard__________________

Migration Agent Registration Number 9601056

george[at]austimmigration[dot]com[dot]au

Welcome to Austimmigration | George Lombard Consultancy Pty. Ltd.

PO Box 257 Summer Hill NSW 2130

I've emphasised the final sentence of George's post because I am sure that he is right and that what he predicts is exactly what will happen.

The scenario is that DIAC say that the Aussie Goverment will permit them to grant 23,000 State sponsored GSM visas up to 30th June 2011:

Migration Program Statistics - Statistics - Publications, Research & Statistics

23,000 sounds like a large number but it is actually tiny because there are 8 States/Territories. 23,000/8 produces a starting point of 2.875 SMP places per State in the 2010-2011 Financial Year.

The ACT have confirmed that they are not being given a "full quota" of 2,875 SMP places to offer. The ACT say that they will be allowed to offer SMP promotion to a maximum of 1,750 applicants up to 30th June 2011. Several of the relevant Sponsorships have already been granted so the ACT reckon that they are only going to be allowed to fill another 900 places or so.

I would think that some of the other States have also agreed to sponsor less than 2,875 people during this current F/Y. TAS is not a huge place so they might have agreed to a lower total. NSW complain that NSW is already over-crowded, so they might accept a lower quota total as well.

However some of the other States can argue convincingly that 2,875 is not a large enough quota for themselves. I think that WA is a prime example of a State which can easily absorb double the quota of 2,875 sponsorships.

So I think that a fair amount of horse-trading has gone on between DIAC and the different States, to adjust the quota allowed for each State but to keep the total to 23,000 altogether.

The next question, though, is how many people already have SS from each State and how many unresolved SS applications are still sitting in each State? The only State that has answered this question so far is the ACT.

It is pretty obvious that the SMPs are partly a political device. By leaving each State to determine which of its already-sponsored applicants it will give SMP priority to, the Federal Government can place all of the blame for making all of the hard choices onto the State Governments, whilst DIAC can be left saying, "Nowt to do with us, Guv. We're merely giving Cat 2 processing priority to the visa applications that the State Governments have told us to put into Cat 2."

However there are going to be an awful lot of people, especially in the new Cat 4, whose occupations either never make it onto an SMP or the people concerned are never selected by the sponsoring State for promotion into SMP priority and Cat 2 even though their occupations appear on the SMP List for the relevant State. That is for certain.

So what is going to happen to the visa applicants who find themselves being relegated back into Cat 4 year after year? I don't think it is rocket science to work out that DIAC will persuade Minister Bowen to resurrect the currently-lapsed Cap & Kill Bill 2010.

Evans produced a half-baked Cap & Kill Bill 2010 in the hope that he might be able to slam it onto the statute book before the General Election was called. The thing was never going to pass muster as it was, but it probably seemed to be worth a last-minute gamble at the time.

DIAC now have much more time available to them in which they can tweak the draft Bill, make its provisions politically acceptable to all 3 of the main parties and then they can tell Bowen to introduce the Revised Version. The Revised Version is likely to be passed by the pollies.

I think that the Revised Version will concentrate on attacking the people who have applied for offshore visas and who are not physically living in Oz at the time when the axe falls. Evans said that he intended to confine it to GSM visas...... If he meant that, it would not have taken more than 30 seconds to make that clear in the drafting of the original Bill.

Politically, I think the pollies would say collectively that it is not acceptable to attack people who have applied for onshore visas and who are physically living in Oz on Bridging Visas. I reckon that the pollies would shield all the applicants for onshore GSM visas, onshore Aged Parent sc 804 visas, all the applicants for onshore sc 835 Remaining Relative visas, onshore Partner applications and so on.

However, in every case the pipeline of offshore visa applications is larger than the pipelines for the onshore versions of the visas. Don't let those visa applicants into Oz in the first place and they will never be able to wreak revenge by voting you, the pollie, out of your seat in the future, it seems to me. Pollies are extremely cynical animals. They worry about protecting their own pelts long before they ever worry about the pelts on the backs of any other types of human animal.

So I think that what will happen is that Bowen will eventually "do an Evans." Sooner or later he will say, "It is obvious that Bloggs is never going to get a GSM visa because his sponsoring State keeps leaving him in Cat 4, so I will provide Bloggs with 'certainty' via terminating his visa application altogether, using my new Cap & Kill powers. It's not my fault, Guv. The relevant State Government keeps excluding Bloggs, not me. I'm merely being a humane and altruistic Minister by ensuring some 'certainty' for Bloggs. I'm the Minister and I am holier than the Pope about this one. Ditto my Federal Government. If Bloggs wants to look for the black rats in all of this, he need not look any further than the Government of the State that sponsored him in the first place. The State Government was extremely irresponsible in my view but I'm the Holy Joe who is trying to help Bloggs by giving him some 'certainty' instead of leaving him in limbo."

I'm now 100% certain that this is what DIAC are working the Federal Government up to. Consequently I think that the SMPs are going to make everything worse, not better, for thousands of visa applicants.

Sorrowfully :frown::no::sad:

Gill

Guest VickyMel

Thanks Gill

I have to agree with your thoughts here.

I personally think that if I do not get on the SMP that is the end for us and that the cap and cease might be the best option for us (in that then we have not lost all the money we spent out - just some of it) as hopefully in the number of years would take to get to the front of Cat 4 we might be drawing a pension.

From what I saw on Reza's post it is even worse in tha the quotas that the gov have given out 23,000 includes applicants plus their dependants - if that is the case then it is not a lot of places. OK for the states who were already only wanted a limited number - but awful for the states desperately after people.

I think that many of us are going to be very misearable when the announcement finally comes out.

Thanks Gill and Alan & George and everyone for the updates and thoughts - although it might not make me over the moon it is at good to know what sort of ideas are swimming around out there.

Goodluck to all of us

VickyMel

Guest Lankan1
Reza,

Patience, patience, patience!

You will find out when the SMPs are published.

Best regards.

Dear god please pay some mercy at me & put the ANZSCO code 261399 in South Australia, Queensland, WEstern Australia SMP :wubclub:

I wish all your dreams will come true!

Dear god please pay some mercy at me & put the ANZSCO code 261399 in South Australia, Queensland, WEstern Australia SMP :wubclub:

I wish all your dreams will come true!

I hope you get SS as soon as possible

Regards:wubclub:

Guest Gollywobbler
:wacko: Even PIO has crashed a couple of times when major action was happening and we all keped pushing refresh and posting!

You just have to stay up all night and keep an eye on things and phone them when it happens - then they will owe you big holidays in Oz!

But you are right is is a bit of a problem

Hi VickyMel

With a bit of luck, Poms in Oz is crash-proof for the foreseeable future.

The forum was getting too large for its server (once again) but a couple of weeks ago Cerberus1 took PiO off-line for several hours one Saturday whilst he and a couple of other IT Wizards moved the forum to a larger, better, more reliable server.

Hopefully the recent server-move will protect Poms in Oz from sudden surges in usage for the foreseeable future.

Cheers

Gill

Guest VickyMel

Hi Eric

We all are a bit confused. I doubt anyone moving up will be instantly be allocated a CO - it usually takes DIAC a few weeks to sort thenselves out and switch everyone around after each set of changes that have come about over the last year.

But going by previous changes they will start prioritising Cat 2 applicants once they are ready.

DIAC did announce that people with SS - who are on their states SMP will be processed as Cat 2 - but other than that I think we wait and see what happens?

Good luck

VickyMel

Archived