and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest Joanna1

Taken our dog to kennel ready for flight :-(

Guest Joanna1

Hi everyone

Just wanted to update on our dogs journey. Well it started today, we have dropped him at the kennels, were using Golden Arrow Shippers. Found them to be very friendly and the kennels were in a very good condition.

He flys to Melbourne on Monday and will have to complete 30 days quarantine. There is already a German Shepherd in the kennel and he is flying out the same time so at least I know he knid of wont be alone on the plane.

It was awful leaving him there and yes I cried but just got to keep it together after all it is only 37 days unitl we collect him.

I have to say though it wasnt nice coming home to a quiet, empty house.

So if anyone out there is about to do the same, good luck and dont worry I am sure all our 'babies' will be just fine. :biggrin:

Hi everyone

Just wanted to update on our dogs journey. Well it started today, we have dropped him at the kennels, were using Golden Arrow Shippers. Found them to be very friendly and the kennels were in a very good condition.

He flys to Melbourne on Monday and will have to complete 30 days quarantine. There is already a German Shepherd in the kennel and he is flying out the same time so at least I know he knid of wont be alone on the plane.

It was awful leaving him there and yes I cried but just got to keep it together after all it is only 37 days unitl we collect him.

So if anyone out there is about to do the same, good luck and dont worry I am sure all our 'babies' will be just fine. :biggrin:

Aw Joanna as a fellow german shep owner i know whats it is like when they go into kennels :eek:My keena stayed in Uk kennels for 20 days when we visited oz a while back :biglaugh:i was a wreck , she loved it ,all that fuss and meeting new people !

:hug:Goodluck with yr journey

If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle:cute:

Gulp!.....25 days until we drop our baby off at Golden Arrow too.

Really not looking forward to it, she's a very soft 3 year old Golden Labrador!

She has been shaking all day today, think she knows somethings not quite right?!? well it hasn't been for months now, we have lived at 4 different houses, thought she would have toughended up by now!

Bless our dogs xxxx

My Father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belguim with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery!

Good luck , we used Golden Arrow they were great ..

to much partying to much booze gives you spots and makes you snooze!

sharon.

Guest SunshineSmile
Hi everyone

Oh i feel your pain.. this is the part I am really dreading.. I HATE the thought of it.. im just so afraid someone will be mean to my babies (not rational thinking at all, I know).. we actually have a practice run tomorrow so to speak. We are going to a wedding, so dogs will be in kennels for a couple of days... Lets see how they cope :cry:

But seriously, Im sure your babies will be fine, and we are all here to help you through to the other side, so to speak! :hug:

Guest aussie06
Hi everyone

Hello,

that will be fine :spinny:

What is the breed of your boy?

Bye!

Guest peacock

Im sure they will be fine, they get treated very well on the flight, and you will be able to visit them in quaritine before they come out,

Guest Liverpool lou

We have to go through the same thing next month..Gulp!!

we too are using Golden Arrow and appreciate your comment stating the kennels where clean etc and they will be looked after.

Im sure your dog will be fine and you can look forward to your life together in Oz.

Good luck x

Guest peacock

Our dog went into Byford kennels in WA, treated very well and its a very nice spot for there first taste of Ozzie wildlife.

Hi everyone

Hi we know exactly how u feel, our hairey mutts flew out 9days ago and are currently in quarantine with 3wks left to serve. We have visited them twice. Each time we leave them the boy gets really distressed. We can hear him howl as we leave which is really upsettin. We phoned quarantine for a update a few days ago to be told 1 or maybe both had completely shreaded their bed. At home nothin has even been chewed so they obviously upset. But the alternative of leaving them in UK just wasn't an option for us. So all we can do is hope they'll be ok til we break them out. We don't know if by us visitin we're makin it worse? But they are bein cared for n we they come home with got a big garden ready for them n plenty of walks on the beach

Ian

23/11/08 skills ass passed. 24/11/08 online 175 applied for. Feb 09 NBV reg'. 14/05/09 CO assigned 11/06/09.

Visa granted 16-7-09, flew out Sept 10- now living the dream and loving it, Whoopy

Guest Joanna1

Hi Guys

Aussie06 - Archie is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and im sure he will be fine, its me who isnt coping well and were only 3 days in, he doesnt even fly till monday.

We had Archie in 2008 whilst we were living in oz, we returned to the uk 18 months ago so he had to do 5 months in quarantine. We missed him terribly but were able to visit once or twice a week.

I think what is upsetting me now is the fact that weve decided to send him ahead of us & we are employing dog walks to go in and see him twice a week, meaning we wont actually see him for

5 1/2 weeks! Im worried about him generally, he has done all this before so im sure hell be good but it does not stop you missing them.

Maybe I will be able to relax a little more after his flight and i know he is actually there and ok.

For some reason this time it just seems harder and you know your own dog and im sure everyone says the same but hes so clingy to us, and just spends all his time following you, lying by you etc and i just feel guilty. I dont think anything will ever stop us worrying, just now hoping the time goes quick!

I have a countdown timer on my iphone......34 days until hes home with us lol

Hi we know exactly how u feel, our hairey mutts flew out 9days ago and are currently in quarantine with 3wks left to serve. We have visited them twice. Each time we leave them the boy gets really distressed. We can hear him howl as we leave which is really upsettin. We phoned quarantine for a update a few days ago to be told 1 or maybe both had completely shreaded their bed. At home nothin has even been chewed so they obviously upset. But the alternative of leaving them in UK just wasn't an option for us. So all we can do is hope they'll be ok til we break them out. We don't know if by us visitin we're makin it worse? But they are bein cared for n we they come home with got a big garden ready for them n plenty of walks on the beach

Ian

I am glad that your dogs made it safely to Oz. I have been thinking carefully about visiting our dog when she is in quarantine. People have different opinions. Some feel that the visits help, but I think that it must be very hard for the dog to keep seeing you walk away. If they are shredding their bed then they must be stressed. Maybe they do it after you leave? Your dogs seem to be getting upset, so maybe it would be better to have someone go in to walk them or play ball with them who is not someone they are attached to. I am going to pay for a dog walker as I know that Rosie will be upset to see us leave her again. I am told that they have the same kennel maid so they get to know her/him. I had two dogs and a cat in UK quarantine for six months and I visited them every week and it did not cause them any distress. If dog is different I suppose and can handle situations differently. I am sure your dogs will be fine when they are finally back home with you. Best of luck. My Rosie flies out on 29 November.

Hi Joanna

I hope Archie will be fine as I'm sure he will. We feel worse than the dogs do about all this. Lots of people say their dogs come through this just fine.

We brought our two collies over last year and used Golden Arrow - they were great. The kennels, as you know, are beautiful and in such an idilic location. I could have booked myself in for a few days to get away from all the stress, lol.

My friend Sharon (Jackboots) used a dog walking service and they kept her updated with lots of photos and information on how her dog Jack was doing.

Hope all goes well with the move and give Archie an extra cuddle from me when you see him.

Ali x

Mal 46 Metal Fabricator/Boilermaker, Ali 47 Nightfill associate Big W Ross 8 Author/Songwriter and Joe 6 Crazy Dude.

Arrived Perth 24th April 2009:jiggy:

Hi Guys

Aussie06 - Archie is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and im sure he will be fine, its me who isnt coping well and were only 3 days in, he doesnt even fly till monday.

We had Archie in 2008 whilst we were living in oz, we returned to the uk 18 months ago so he had to do 5 months in quarantine. We missed him terribly but were able to visit once or twice a week.

I think what is upsetting me now is the fact that weve decided to send him ahead of us & we are employing dog walks to go in and see him twice a week, meaning we wont actually see him for

5 1/2 weeks! Im worried about him generally, he has done all this before so im sure hell be good but it does not stop you missing them.

Maybe I will be able to relax a little more after his flight and i know he is actually there and ok.

For some reason this time it just seems harder and you know your own dog and im sure everyone says the same but hes so clingy to us, and just spends all his time following you, lying by you etc and i just feel guilty. I dont think anything will ever stop us worrying, just now hoping the time goes quick!

I have a countdown timer on my iphone......34 days until hes home with us lol

Hi. I know what you mean about feeling guilty. Rosie our border collie keeps looking at me as though she knows something is going on and I feel as though I am going to do something terrible to her. She went to the vets last Wednesday for her vaccinations and she was a quivering mess. She was panting and shaking uncontrollably and was trying to get out of the waiting room windows. All this after she had been on Zylkene for a week to help calm her down. She has her blood test on 2 November and then the last visit for the worming and frontline treatment two days before she goes. I am dreading it and I have to ask my son to take her as I know I am passing on my nervous energy to her. I made enquiries with Golden Arrow but decided on Pet Air UK as they did not require Rosie to stay in their kennels for four days prior to her flight. They let your own vet do the last checks etc. My dog has never been in kennels before so it was a big deal with me for her to spend another four days in their kennels. I paid for Rosie's made to measure crate to be sent to my home so that Rosie could get familiar with it. It is in the dining room and I put Rosie's meals and treats in it and now she goes happily in it to have a drink of water from the attached water container. I also throw her ball in there so that she has a good experience with it. I just could not imagine a stranger getting Rosie in to the crate in a strange place without stressing her. Your dog has already had the experience of the crate and kennels so should not be as stressed. We are driving Rosie down to Heathrow on the day of her flight and she will only go in to the crate when we arrive there. I just want her to be in the crate for the shortest time. Golden Arrow wanted me to leave her in Shropshire with them and they would take her to Manchester and then she would have to change planes at Heathrow. This way Rosie is put on the plane by the Pet Air UK vet who will seal the crate and she will only alight in Melbourne. I know I am going to be a wreck when I leave her in Heathrow, but I must just hold on to the thought that the alternative would be worse. To leave her behind with someone who maybe would not take care of her or love her as much as we do. At least this way, they do end up going back to the same loving home! I wish you and your four footed friend the very best of luck. Please let us know how he gets on.

Guest woodmelody

Hi there , Well I said bye to Boris this afternoon as he is flying tonight to Sydney with Sky dogs and I cant speak too highly of them. Bill gave me a great contact for a dog walker who is allowed to exercise the dogs during quarantine karen@dogwalks.com.au they also post photos of loved pets online so I will be able to see he is ok for the 30 days he will be there .

There is also great information about registering your dogs in the various states along with other useful information , What a great service even when you cant get to visit ,

Guest woodmelody

Hi everyone, Well Boris has arrived safely at Sydney kennels and im so glad that I have the dog walking service as they will post some photos on line for me tomorrow after he has had his first visit. Im now on countdown as I leave on Saturday for Queensland . The empty house feels so strange and im missing my walks through the fields but it wont be long before I get him back. Cant wait for walkies on the beach .

Guest aussie06
Hi everyone, Well Boris has arrived safely at Sydney kennels and im so glad that I have the dog walking service as they will post some photos on line for me tomorrow after he has had his first visit. Im now on countdown as I leave on Saturday for Queensland . The empty house feels so strange and im missing my walks through the fields but it wont be long before I get him back. Cant wait for walkies on the beach .

that is good news... hope mine will be safe too as he is really nervous when he is in cage

Guest Joanna1

Well guys, archie is on his way, flight has just taken off....think ill be awake the next 22 hours worrying....will keep you updated!

Guest woodmelody

Hi All , Well boris not only arrived safely but has had his first visit from Dogwalkers and posted pictures on the web , I now have to arrange to have him shipped again after 30 day to rockhampton Jets pets have made a very reasonable quote and they come recommended, and I get to pick him up at the airport the time im sure will fly as I don't arrive till Monday and will be working straight away . Just need to find a suitable house and its all sorted . Roll on some sunshine as its raining here cold damp grey !