huntsman spider

Guest jeza

came across our first huntsman yesterday. . . oh my god, what a disappointment! This one really was nothing much to worry about - small little body and all skinny legs! I was expecting something much bigger and certainly hairier!

What did I do about this little fella? Just gave him a good shoeing. he disintergrated very easily and quickly with one swift belt of my shoe.

My youngest daughter is terrified of daddy long legs, and I was worried how she would react. She too had a good laugh at this supposedly 'huge' spider. (Although she did not want to get near it) She was very relieved to see it was really not so bad after all!

seen no snakes, spiders not scary, and just as I am beginning to relax, up sneaks a BIG.... who know what!

came across our first huntsman yesterday. . . oh my god, what a disappointment! This one really was nothing much to worry about - small little body and all skinny legs! I was expecting something much bigger and certainly hairier!

What did I do about this little fella? Just gave him a good shoeing. he disintergrated very easily and quickly with one swift belt of my shoe.

My youngest daughter is terrified of daddy long legs, and I was worried how she would react. She too had a good laugh at this supposedly 'huge' spider. (Although she did not want to get near it) She was very relieved to see it was really not so bad after all!

seen no snakes, spiders not scary, and just as I am beginning to relax, up sneaks a BIG.... who know what!

Yeah .... you know what they say about tempting fate :wideeyed: ...... you do realise all his mates will come to get their revenge :wink:

• Haha 1

Guest chris955

You do know that spiders don't hatch full size don't you ? :laugh:

We get them about saucer sized where we are and all the rain has forced them inside, the geckos take care of the small ones but I have photos of a big huntsman eating a lizard under our BBQ area.

even bigger - even the size of a clock - they are still skinny little buggers and not at all what i was expecting! I had visions of something much worst. Those visions are now paying off as i have a good laugh!

yep, mine was that kind of size. (I've goggled clock spider) But I think my visions of what it would be like were just so much worse, now i am laughing all the way to the bank! They are sooooo skinny! Really, I only killed it for my daughters sake - I think I have seen these spiders in nz, and never given it a second thought!

Guest guest36762
You do know that spiders don't hatch full size don't you ? :laugh:

We get them about saucer sized where we are and all the rain has forced them inside, the geckos take care of the small ones but I have photos of a big huntsman eating a lizard under our BBQ area.

can we see that Chris?

ps, he has no mates now !!!- cause I've drowned the lot of em!!! :biggrin: Yep, he, or she, was in our lovely flower pot, so had to get the hose out to squirt the bugger out so I could see to him! Guess all his mates have died to. . . .SORRY!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest BrightonBoys
I think the rule is - the further north you go the bigger the spiders! You'll probably have to go to Queensland to cure your disappointment :biggrin:

All I can say to this is EEEEKKKKKKKKKK, Michael (the oh from QLD) has seen them eating birds and rodents.

On my negative list for moving to Aus, this is at the top of the list!! It is also number 3 and 7!!

:eek:

Guest guest32776

I've had a couple the size of a fat man's dinner plate come out from under the car when pressurizing the tyres. I also enjoy the old Queensland camping eco toilet thing at night with my torch beam on the roof where the beady eyed little blighter is waiting to jump into my hair! I'd never kill one though - apparently it brings years of bad financial luck , (even if it wasn't an important part of an eco system and had done nothing to me.) Wait till you see the bird eating tarantulas......

Guest chris955
it's a terrific photo though, shame about the subject matter

Thanks mate, I love spiders.

It was on a normal sized bucket, she wasn't really big but too big for the lizard. :biggrin:

spider2l.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

lol! Thanks for that!!!! yeah melbourne is great - but it just doesn't have the wild life i was hoping for - not!:jiggy:

The rain has forced them inside as another person said, but at least you saw it, I went to put on my shoe the other day and thought that feels funny, took it off and guess what ran out - they love sneakers -

aaargh - threw the shoe in the air and nearly fell over. I had one in my car and tried to get it and it ran away, then when I was driving it ran across the windscreen. You aren't supposed to kill them though, they don't hurt. I went to a funeral at a country cemetery once, and there were brown snakes all over the place, decided to head for the car pretty quickly.

I hate the things. I know they are harmless but they are just so icky. OH & I were in Oz at the start of the year and didn't see a single one so he is yet to meet one

Guest chris955

Thanks Bob, it's definitely a Huntsman. I have kept spiders for 30 odd years. The biggest difference is that Wolf Spiders have 2 large 'main' eyes high on their heads. They also don't sit flat like Huntsmans do, they sit up high on their legs.