House prices

landv

Posting this just out of interest to see how the tables turned between the two countries.

Avarage house price in the UK is 165,659 (source: houseprices.uk.net)

Avarage house price in Perth (I can only speak for Perth as I live here, dont know other cities) is $500,000.

Using the current exchange rate of 1.56, 165,659 pounds is $258,428 aussie dollars, which would get me nothing here in Perth.

It is hard to find any decent house for sale under $400,000.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posting this just out of interest to see how the tables turned between the two countries.

Avarage house price in Perth (I can only speak for Perth as I live here, dont know other cities) is $500,000.

Using the current exchange rate of 1.56, 165,659 pounds is $258,428 aussie dollars, which would get me nothing here in Perth.

There are other areas beside Perth, try somewhere else.

A fairer comparison would be to compare house prices in the major cities in both countries. Another thing to look at is what actually is the average property size in each country. What would you actually get for those prices in each country?

There could also be a bias in the UK value from the fact that the more expensive properties are less likely to sell during a recession

Guest TA01085

Same situation in Brisbane and probably worse in Sydney. I actually know of a couple of families who are selling up here to take the benefit of the exchange rate as it's so attractive. one coulpe came here with 200 grand in stirling a few years ago and recon they will go back with 400 grand in stirling taking into account the exchange rate and the increas in value of their propoerty. Luck B****rds

Guest TA01085
A fairer comparison would be to compare house prices in the major cities in both countries. Another thing to look at is what actually is the average property size in each country. What would you actually get for those prices in each country?

There could also be a bias in the UK value from the fact that the more expensive properties are less likely to sell during a recession

Given that most of the Aus population live in or near the main cities its a fair comparison. It terms of size its fair to say that the average Aus property is bigger than the UK but size is not the biggest factor in terms of value here its more about age. You can buy a big loder house for less than a new smaller one as you have to remember that over here they are just a plie of sticks with a brick venere and not built to last.

I agree, I should have compared two cities really, it would be more accurate, it just really shocked me, I have recently checked out UK house prices on rightmove, I havent been following the housing market over there.

A real gem of a place, and prices still affordable. Tasmania!:jiggy:

I'd love to live in Tasmania! and you're right it is still affordable.

To be honest, I am not even that keen on Perth, certanly not that much to pay these house prices.

Same situation in Brisbane and probably worse in Sydney. I actually know of a couple of families who are selling up here to take the benefit of the exchange rate as it's so attractive. one coulpe came here with 200 grand in stirling a few years ago and recon they will go back with 400 grand in stirling taking into account the exchange rate and the increas in value of their propoerty. Luck B****rds

How's that lucky?? They are going back to the UK, no matter how much money they will have.

Like where.

What? You've been here since 2008 and not realised there are a few more places in Oz than Perth? Perth itself is pretty big. You could pick up a decent house for a lot less than $400,000 if you are prepared to travel a bit. That depends on where you work too.

I had a quick look at Yanchep and you can buy a new 4 x 2 there, close to the beach for $375,000. There is a 3 x 2 for $316,500. And they are in a nice area.

I reckon it would be the same down south too. Say Secret Harbour way.

The average price in England reflects how many terrace houses there are too where you wouldn't be able to swing a cat and probably wouldn't have a garage. It's hard to compare like with like. Say to compare the house in Yanchep try looking at a 4x2 detached place with garage in Bournmouth or another place near a beach. You might get a shock.

What? You've been here since 2008 and not realised there are a few more places in Oz than Perth?

The poster was just asking, no need to get shirty:mad:

I would call them lucky because all they have to do is site tight watch the £ verse the $ over the next few years sell up again in uk & turn £400.000 into £800,000 now thats lucky.

Lol. I'd say they were more hopeful or optimistic, than lucky if they were basing their assumptions on a quick recovery of the pound and UK house price inflation. In the first instance they'd be coming back to the UK cash rich, but would likely find it harder to find a decent income once here.

What? You've been here since 2008 and not realised there are a few more places in Oz than Perth? Perth itself is pretty big. You could pick up a decent house for a lot less than $400,000 if you are prepared to travel a bit. That depends on where you work too.

I had a quick look at Yanchep and you can buy a new 4 x 2 there, close to the beach for $375,000. There is a 3 x 2 for $316,500. And they are in a nice area.

I reckon it would be the same down south too. Say Secret Harbour way.

The average price in England reflects how many terrace houses there are too where you wouldn't be able to swing a cat and probably wouldn't have a garage. It's hard to compare like with like. Say to compare the house in Yanchep try looking at a 4x2 detached place with garage in Bournmouth or another place near a beach. You might get a shock.

Errm... I have realised that there are other places other than Perth, thanks.

FYI, I live not far away from Yanchep and commuting to city is already takes an hour in rush hour.

My priority might not be living near the beach, so I won't compare houses near the beach here to houses in Bournemouth.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as shirty but found it a bit of a funny response to say "like where." The poster has already moved half way round the world and is not particularly happy with Perth. I've found every major city in Oz to be totally different and even just moving a few Kms away can change your lifestyle totally. I would certainly give somewhere else a try if I was unhappy here.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as shirty but found it a bit of a funny response to say "like where." The poster has already moved half way round the world and is not particularly happy with Perth. I've found every major city in Oz to be totally different and even just moving a few Kms away can change your lifestyle totally. I would certainly give somewhere else a try if I was unhappy here.

I never said I wasn't happy here, simply Perth doesn't float my boat.

We are here to stay for a short while mainly because we both have good jobs.

Guest chris955

It really is amazing what you can get for your money now in the UK, in a good area you can get a 4 bed, 2 bath detached house with garage and good sized garden for the equivalent of $400,000.

Holy Cow are houses cheap in UK!

We are on our way to Perth and it would be near impossible coming from UK

We live in Canada up in Fort McMurray Oil Sands, one of the richest areas in Canada and the average ordinary 3-4 bedroom house is worth 650,000 top 720,000.00

This makes it easier for us to buy a house in Perth.

I was looking and the house prices in Perth are dropping.

And the Canadian dollar is par with the Americans again.

Just giving everyone another perspective

Wish the Visa would hurry up.

Christine

Tell me about it come to Melbourne see what you get for $258.428 here certainly not a house within an hour of Melbourne.

Given that most of the Aus population live in or near the main cities its a fair comparison. It terms of size its fair to say that the average Aus property is bigger than the UK but size is not the biggest factor in terms of value here its more about age. You can buy a big loder house for less than a new smaller one as you have to remember that over here they are just a plie of sticks with a brick venere and not built to last.

The older houses are generally more expensive in Brisbane. It is location that counts here.

Guest siamsusie

The older houses are generally more expensive in Brisbane. It is location that counts here.
:angel_happy_face_haQueenslanders for me:yes:

I think this logic is flawed. The vast majority of people in Australia live in major cities. So, as a better comparison, if most people lived in London, Edinburgh, Manchester, Dublin and Birmingham, what would the average house price be then? My guess is a darn sight more than 165k.

Also, if you've been in Oz since 2008, why use a 1.56 exchange rate to reinforce your point. We came in 2008 and got 2.10 to our pounds.