Teaching Assistant

ozgooner

Hi, not sure how it works in Oz. There has been a couple of posts in the past re. this. Try doing a search using the words 'teaching assistant' from the search above. Ley x

They dont have teaching assistants in Australia in the same way as UK. We have teacher aides (called different things in different states) but they are usually untrained (except for first aid certificate), lowly paid and often short term contracts. Some states do have a higher tier called integration aides and they do a cert iii in integration studies and they then work with kids with disabilities in mainstream classes.

Aide positions are hard to come by because they are in demand from mums who want school hours while their kids are small. The teacher retains the ultimate responsibility for the child and the aide just implements a program, be it literacy, toileting or behaviour management or they do things like photocopying and making play dough.

I have been an sso (school service officer) in Adelaide since 1996. This is the only year that i haven't worked in school due to medical reasons.

I wouldn't bother going for any kind of certs in the uk as they mean jack over here. I did my cert 2 in the uk yrs ago as i was doing this for 7 yrs before moving over to Adelaide.

Like Quoll has said it's hard to get a job in this field as they are willing to take on parents with no qualifications. You don't also know if you have a job from year to year which i find a bit strange as it's all (apart from the odd 1 or 2) casual work. To get permanent hours is like winning a million bucks.

• 2 weeks later...
thank you all for the information , I thought it may be a good idea to do something before we go, i am a buyer so maybe casual work in that line would be better and just have the school holidays off . Thanks again.

Hi I did my HLTA in the UK this is High level of Teaching Assistant also allows you to teach groups of students on your own in something that you specialize in like mine is Vocational, i am sure this would give you good experience and in the uk its higher pay than Teaching assistant.

Hi I would like to do a teaching Assistant course before we get to Oz, can anyone tell me which course would in England would be recognised in Australia ?:jiggy:

Hi, I did my CACHE level 2 in teaching assistants before I came to Oz and they don't recognise it here, also like some of the others said they don't have teaching assistants just teaching aides which is basically SEN work.

If you do want to do something in childcare tho and want to use the time before you come out to train I would suggest finding an online Australian course called 'Certificate III in Children's Services', you need it in pretty much any childcare job you go for out here, or at least need to study it when you start a job.

I wish I had known that before I came it would of saved me a lot of time and effort applying for jobs and getting nowhere. I am nearly finished with mine and it doesn;t take long if your prepared to put in the time.

Hope you find something when you get here.

Take care

:)

Archived