Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!


Changing employers on a 457 visa

Recommended Posts

I’m trying to get to the bottom of changing employers when employed on a 457 visa. It seems as of Sept 2009 it is possible to do this:


From the horse’s mouth:

Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457) link to DIAC site - has the txt below

Applying for a new visa or changing employer

If you have an employee who wants to apply for a new visa (where their current visa is about to expire), the employee must lodge a new visa application.

From 14 September 2009, 457 visa holders who wish to change employer or position (within the validity of their current visa) will not be required to apply for a new Subclass 457 visa.


I think that means that a new employer would need to do both the first two bits of the 457 application i.e.


Step 1 - Employer Applies to be a Sponsor

The employer must complete an application to become a sponsor.


Step 2 - Employer Nominates a Position

The employer must nominate the position to be filled.


Step 3 - Employee Applies for a Visa

The employee must apply for a visa to be allowed to work in Australia.


457 charges

Employer Sponsored Temporary Visa Charges link to DIAC site

Charge Type Charge Amount

Visa Application Charge $265

Nomination Charge $70

Sponsorship Charge $350


So it would cost the new employer $420


Does this look about right, has anyone done this recently and have anything to add or correct? Or does the employer only need to carry out Step 2 and nominate a position? I’m assuming Step 2 cannot be done without Step 1 having also been done?


Many thanks, Rob

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Rob a friend of mine did. As you know since September 2009 you can change sponsors without having to complete an additional 457. All you have to do as far as I am aware is just be nominated by the new employer - serve you notice at your current job then start working for the new employer. I was going to do the same thing earlier this year but mt PR finally came through. Shouldnt be too many dramas. Good luck!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't need to apply for another 457 if your existing one is still current.


If the employer is already approved as a sponsor, they don't need to do step 1 as sponsorship approval isn't required for each employee. It covers any number of nominations over a period of 3 years.


They must do step 2 as each nomination is specific to a position and employee.


That means that it will cost an employer either $420 or $70 depending on whether they are already a sponsor or not.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now