Medicals overweight

Guest condor

Hi, I am new to this forum and I tried to post and cant see it on here so trying again, bear with me if its on twice, please. Has anyone had problems with medicals with being overweight. The doctor said my daughter was overweight ( which we know). Everything has been sent in and our agent got a message from CO saying that my British passport was sufficient for english requirement and that our medicals were uploaded just waiting for my daughters to be cleared and then it would not be long for our visas. Could this be a problem, your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Guest english reject

Iam over weight and have not done my medicals yet ( SMPs grrrrr ) any info you get or have would be great.

ER

Hi, I was overweight when I had my medicals done (Obese according to my BMI). Your BMI has to be >40 (morbidly obese) before it may mean you need to do more tests to clear the medical. Here's how you're graded:

A grade if BMI 16–40.

Body mass index

B grade if BMI<16 kg/m2. Consider

(BMI)

clinical reasons, for example, TB, cancer,

malnutrition.

A grade if BMI>30 kg/m2 and there is no

evidence of complications.

B grade and refer to physician if

complications of obesity are known or

suspected. Report to address nature and

severity of complications, treatment

needs, and fitness for travel and stay in

Australia.

Taken from the Instructions for Panel Doctors (Attachment 4) http://www.immi.gov.au/gateways/panel_doctors/conducting_medicals/instructions/panel-doctors-instructions.pdf

Being overweight

Being overweight in itself does not necessarily mean you will

not meet the health requirement. If you are assessed as being

obese, some exploration of related medical conditions (which

can exist or be emerging) will be made. These include diabetes,

heart disease (including hypertension) and arthritis. Such

conditions may mean that you are assessed as not meeting the

health requirement.

Hi Condor, I copied the above from the Australian Immigration website. I too am really trying to lose some weight before we have to do our meds. I see that Peach has also quoted with a more informative answer which I will be reading in full later. Hope its good news for you when it arrives !

Guest GeorgeD

My BMI was measured at 32 (they weighed me with even my jacket on!) My blood pressure was slightly high when measured and there is a history of diabetes in the family, although I have no diabetes related problems I am aware of. As far as I know my medical wasn't referred, and even if it was there was no further investigation before it was granted.

Im overweight by BMI standards and i passed medicals with no worries. I was really worried about but the Dr didnt even ask me about it for the women out there i'm a size 22. My blood pressure was also raised but did not seem to be an issue

Thanks for the replys. I went on a site to calculate her BMI and she is 29. I am 29.8 and mine is cleared. So I think I am panicking. Anyway I did have her tested for Diabetes a couple of months ago and the tests came back fine. She is on a diet with me at the moment.

By the way I love this forum. Well done.

Thanks for the replys. I went on a site to calculate her BMI and she is 29. I am 29.8 and mine is cleared. So I think I am panicking. Anyway I did have her tested for Diabetes a couple of months ago and the tests came back fine. She is on a diet with me at the moment.

By the way I love this forum. Well done.

How old is she?

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Condor

The problems of obesity are far worse in Australia than they are in most other countries except, possibly, the USA. The MOC is not looking out for a person's BMI per se. A lot of doctors have no patience with trying to treat somebody's BMI as a genuine indicator of anything because the thing that causes somebody's BMI to be high might be unhealthy fat but it might also be very healthy muscle. Rugby players have very high BMI readings, apparently, but when you look at a bloke who plays rugby he is often 15 stone of pure muscle and brawn.

What the MOC is looking for are symptoms of other diseases in which a person's weight might be a contributory factor. Diabetes, cardio-vascular problems, problems with the person's musculo-skeletal system just because s/he is or has been carrying too much weight and so forth. I suspect that they burble about obesity in the Panel Doctors Instructions purely to warn the Panel Doctor to check the person for other ailments that their weight might have been contributing to.

I've never met a doctor who uses a coherent sentence if shorthand jargon will do instead. They are worse for this shorthand jargon between themselves than they are with their patients. It does seem to occur to most of them that the patient has a right to understand what is going on but they often don't bother to explain the details to the patient in any way that really makes any sense to the patient, in my experience.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Condor

The problems of obesity are far worse in Australia than they are in most other countries except, possibly, the USA. The MOC is not looking out for a person's BMI per se. A lot of doctors have no patience with trying to treat somebody's BMI as a genuine indicator of anything because the thing that causes somebody's BMI to be high might be unhealthy fat but it might also be very healthy muscle. Rugby players have very high BMI readings, apparently, but when you look at a bloke who plays rugby he is often 15 stone of pure muscle and brawn.

What the MOC is looking for are symptoms of other diseases in which a person's weight might be a contributory factor. Diabetes, cardio-vascular problems, problems with the person's musculo-skeletal system just because s/he is or has been carrying too much weight and so forth.

Gill you are totally right about the BMI classifcation, i am 20 stone and 6 FT 3" i was told i was obese and they didnt even asked me to take off my coat also..

The fact is that i am a retired Wrestler and rugby player

there is definelty some fat on me but 90% is bone and muscle...:jimlad:

Dotors only know what a computer tells them...

Cheers Nick..

the medical doctor told my wife she was over weight so i came over with the kids and left her there ................:laugh:..........he did tell my wife she was over weight but she didnt have to be told really ,but we knew the medical doctor so passed with flying colours .....but he did mention the weight ..........

Thanks everyone for replies. Someone asked how old she is, my daughter is 7. Lets just hope all goes well, we have waited 3 and half years so far since we first applied, so I think I am just anxious, as others dont seem to have had problems. thanks for adivce.

Thanks everyone for replies. Someone asked how old she is, my daughter is 7. Lets just hope all goes well, we have waited 3 and half years so far since we first applied, so I think I am just anxious, as others dont seem to have had problems. thanks for adivce.

A BMI of 29 in a 7 year old is a massive cause for concern and although I don't think it is cause for refusal they may take a little longer to pass.

Archived