Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

8 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

How much extra is quarantine cleaning for a 4x4? Will a spotless car always avoid the additional cost of cleaning, or is there a degree of randomness?

Most quarantine cleans are around the $450 mark including the re-inspection fee (it varies from state to state). One of the biggest misconceptions is that a valeted car will automatically pass a quarantine check. While it will obviously help with first impressions, AQIS officers are actually looking for any kind of plant material or evidence of insects or spiders in spots like underneath the wheel arches, in the engine bay, or the air vents at the base of the windscreen. So by all means, give it a wash (if your car is muddy, it's a big red flag), but take more note of those areas than whether or not it looks clean. 

Edited by Iron Chef
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Iron Chef said:

Most quarantine cleans are around the $450 mark including the re-inspection fee (it varies from state to state). One of the biggest misconceptions is that a valeted car will automatically pass a quarantine check. While it will obviously help with first impressions, AQIS officers are actually looking for any kind of plant material or evidence of insects or spiders in spots like underneath the wheel arches, in the engine bay, or the air vents at the base of the windscreen. So by all means, give it a wash (if your car is muddy, it's a big red flag), but take more note of those areas than whether or not it looks clean. 

Thanks for this info. We are planning of being in Melbourne for a few months when we first arrive, then probably move to Queensland. Would it be better to import the car directly to QLD, or to VIC and then transfer later? Are there any other pro and cons for each state, which is the easiest, quickest and cheapest?   

11 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Thanks for this info. We are planning of being in Melbourne for a few months when we first arrive, then probably move to Queensland. Would it be better to import the car directly to QLD, or to VIC and then transfer later? Are there any other pro and cons for each state, which is the easiest, quickest and cheapest?   

Whereabouts in Melbourne will you be?  Public transport in Melbourne is so good, you might find the car will sit in the garage most of the time anyway - unless you are way out in the outer suburbs. Easier to send it straight to QLD than go through all the hassle of registering it twice. Besides, the drive to Queensland isn't particularly scenic.  Google says it's an 18 hour drive but that's non-stop.  It would be three days and that's without stopping to see any sights.  If you decide to detour to see some interesting places, it could become a very long trip indeed.

Edited by Marisawright

The drive to Queensland is beautiful if you take the scenic route. Around the coast to merimbula or up over the dividing range into Canberra and see the capitol, then on to Sydney for a night or 2. Continue up the coast to Coffs Harbour and then into the Gold Coast and Brisbane. If you have the time to do it then its great. If you just want to scream up the cenre then its a bit boring.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ArrowsEng said:

The drive to Queensland is beautiful if you take the scenic route. Around the coast to merimbula or up over the dividing range into Canberra and see the capitol, then on to Sydney for a night or 2. Continue up the coast to Coffs Harbour and then into the Gold Coast and Brisbane. If you have the time to do it then its great. If you just want to scream up the cenre then its a bit boring.

Wow! We did exactly that on our last trip (although on the way back to Melbourne) and stayed a night in Merimbula. It’s a very beautiful place I think we will also have a better look at the Alpine region next time.

Melbourne to the Sunshine Coast is a long way but we really enjoy touring and just taking our time and getting off the main road and having a look round. Husband refuses to use a satnav, paper maps only (unless really lost in Sydney) and loves to explore random places. We never know where we will end up each day but always manage to find accommodation.

Just like life, if you charge about from A to B the road can be boring, best to take your time and smell the roses.

Edited by SusieRoo

46 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

For the vehicle compliance test, I understand a UK import needs to be ‘stock’ or ‘factory’. But my husband’s 4x4 is lightly modified with suspension, tyres and snorkel. Will this be a problem?

Requirements for roadworthy vary from state to state, so if the modifications are light it should be ok. Having said that, you're better off sending the car straight to Queensland rather than having to effectively through the same compliance process twice.

• Thanks 1

For a 4x4 the rules in Melbourne (and should be the rest of the states), are a 2" lift and tyres that are no more than 50mm bigger diameter than the largest on the tyre placard do not need any engineers report. The snorkel no one cares about as lots of 4x4's run these, although most 4x4 have water in the diffs before they ever get water in the engine, this is because people put the snorkels on for looks and if they go though water they have forgotten to put a tube on the diff breathers (this should run up to above the doors) and so water enters the diff and causes more trouble.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

So I've got my 143 contributory visa, entry by aug19, would like to ship my car, bear with me on this, I'm trying to get this organized on my own and I am finding it a minefield/infomation overload. Has anybody used a car shipping agent, as in they do all the paperwork, send specific forms to fill in etc? Any advice however small greatly appreciated, note, I am only taking my car, no furniture or household goods as it might not fit anyway.

15 hours ago, Debs54 said:

So I've got my 143 contributory visa, entry by aug19, would like to ship my car, bear with me on this, I'm trying to get this organized on my own and I am finding it a minefield/infomation overload. Has anybody used a car shipping agent, as in they do all the paperwork, send specific forms to fill in etc? Any advice however small greatly appreciated, note, I am only taking my car, no furniture or household goods as it might not fit anyway.

Hi Deb, welcome to the forums, that's what I do, see my link below.

We used Iron Chef and he was very helpful. It was great having our cars here as in WA used cars are expensive compared to the UK. 

We used Shannons for insurance as RAC won't insure imports but the premiums were good, and service excellent.

Having said that, we sold the cars a couple of years later for other reasons (one was a Volvo and there are few dealers but servicing was expensive. In addition I had a split tyre and had to buy 2 new ones as tyre sizes here were different.) The Clio Sport was low mileage and 10 years old at time of import but parts had to be ordered from France most of the time as the spec was different here. Iron Chef pointed out that we knew its history and would not lose out when selling. And that was true. We sold to a French lady who was looking out for this model.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fosseboy said:

We used Iron Chef and he was very helpful. It was great having our cars here as in WA used cars are expensive compared to the UK. 

We used Shannons for insurance as RAC won't insure imports but the premiums were good, and service excellent.

Having said that, we sold the cars a couple of years later for other reasons (one was a Volvo and there are few dealers but servicing was expensive. In addition I had a split tyre and had to buy 2 new ones as tyre sizes here were different.) The Clio Sport was low mileage and 10 years old at time of import but parts had to be ordered from France most of the time as the spec was different here. Iron Chef pointed out that we knew its history and would not lose out when selling. And that was true. We sold to a French lady who was looking out for this model.

Thanks for the reply, 

16 minutes ago, fosseboy said:

Thanks for this, I’ve already got my car sorted with DC Design customs and fabrication once there.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m trying to contact IronLadyImports via the website for a quote. However the departure date is mandatory and as yet I don’t have a specific date. Is there a way to contact and get a quote on the basis of a rough date?

Just now, RonG said:

I’m trying to contact IronLadyImports via the website for a quote. However the departure date is mandatory and as yet I don’t have a specific date. Is there a way to contact and get a quote on the basis of a rough date?

You can put any date in, it's not vital to shipping prices currently :)

• 4 months later...

We’re moving to Melbourne Jan/Feb & was about to start applying for import permits.

We want to bring Volvo XC90, 2015, 24861 miles & Ducati Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak, 2018, 1604 miles.

I’m a stay at home mum so my partner always deals with purchasing/registering vehicles. I drive the Volvo daily but from what I can see you can only import 1 registered vehicle each.
He’s the registered keeper of both. Is there any way around this or are we going to have to pick between them?!?! [emoji15] i think he’ll be rather upset at leaving his bike [emoji51]

On 16/10/2019 at 07:14, kazb67 said:

We’re moving to Melbourne Jan/Feb & was about to start applying for import permits.

We want to bring Volvo XC90, 2015, 24861 miles & Ducati Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak, 2018, 1604 miles.

I’m a stay at home mum so my partner always deals with purchasing/registering vehicles. I drive the Volvo daily but from what I can see you can only import 1 registered vehicle each.
He’s the registered keeper of both. Is there any way around this or are we going to have to pick between them?!?! emoji15.png i think he’ll be rather upset at leaving his bike emoji51.png

It will be fine, you will just need to supply your marriage certificate as part of the documents. Your address on your driver's licence presumably matches your partner's address on the V5C, so you should be fine to bring both.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello @Iron Chef

We are in the process of our VIA for a Porsche 911 (2006, 62,000 miles) car and are also looking to ship household effects too.  If we use our removal company to ship the car within a 40ft container with the rest of our household goods, will this be the most cost effective way? 

Or should we ship the goods in a shared container and then use a separate company for the shipping of the car alone? How much is that usually?

Thanks for your help