Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

Hi All - advice from personal experience. Cars are very expensive here, so if you've got a reasonably new one (2-3 years old), consider importing. However, if car is older, think hard because it will cost $3k-$k to get the car here and then you have the road worthiness certificate. A bit like a one-off MOT - and you can get caught out. This is not a straight up and down test, its a negotiation between the certified garage who does the test (and will initially fail it) and you. You will have to have some work done (whether the car needs it or not) and its a negotiation to try to get the amount of work they want to do down a bit. This does'nt only happen to Pommie immigrants, it also happens with inter-state migrants. We were quoted $7k, which we negotaited back to $5k - other Aussies I know have negotiated $4k billsback to $2k+. Its not a reason not to import, just be prepared, get a third party inspection eg. RACV, RACQ while the car is still in quarantine if you can and give them this before they do the inspection. It won't stop any attempts to rip you off but it will limit the extent.

This is not to say that Australians are all 'hooky' they are'nt. But be as wary here as you would be in say the USA. People will take advantage of you in business or where money is concerned if they think they can, its just seen as fair game ..................and the 'rip off' is a little more prevalent here than in the UK ......car importation is one area where the unwary (and unlucky) can be punished.

Having said that, its a great place to live and the people are super-friendly day to day.

I think ripping off foreigners is a bit of a world-wide phenomenon - we had similar experiences when we moved to Japan. The prices you're mentioning are pretty ridiculous, given Qld is one of the easiest states to get cars registered in. Not that I particularly want to be doing my job for free, but I can point people in the right direction for workshops who will look after them if need be.

Rust is something transport departments are fairly hot on though, particularly if it's in the chassis rails or other structural areas, so make sure it's all tidy as structural rust can be an expensive fix.

As per another post I made, I'd think twice aboiut the Audi - unless its in really great nick. It'll cost you $2k-$3k to get it here and you may be unlucky with the road worthiness test - we had ours done in QLD so I can only talk about this. If there are any issues , the car will be failed and then you are into a negotiation with the garage about how much work needs to be done before they will give you the all-important road worthiness certificate. Each case is different, but honestly, if it needs more than a minimum of work (if its got body work issues - any rust bubbles - especially) think hard as the garage knows you need the certificate to drive the car and that you've spent money to get it here, so they'll be trying to push the bill up and they will have all of the leverage. NB. Other states may be different - so worth seeing if anyone importing into NSW, SA, VIC, WA has any similr experience.

Each state is different, and like most things, it can depend on what mood the inspector is in as much as anything else. In many cases it's not what you know, it's who you know...

Just looking for other peoples opinion here as we can't quite make up our minds whether it is worth shipping our car. We have a 2 yr old VW Passat Highline, low mileage and in VGC. I know VW Passats are pretty expensive in Oz but would it really be worth shipping ours out?

Should have said the engine is a 2.0 Litre diesel (TDi) and is an automatic.

I would think so - VW has very good resale here, and the Passat is very highly regarded. They were sold here with the 2.0 litre TDi so servicing won't be a problem.

I would think so - VW has very good resale here, and the Passat is very highly regarded. They were sold here with the 2.0 litre TDi so servicing won't be a problem.

Thanks for that Iron Chief! Another question maybe you can help, the UK Passat only has MPH on the dial but has KPH as a digital read out at the bottom of the clock. Do you know if they would insist on the spedo being changed?

Guest emasnwy

Mr Iron Chief,

Is there anything you need for a car with Air-con,can it be shipped without touching anything or hos it need de-charging...do we need a cert for it..also dose it matter how much fuels in the tank..and i gather it has to be spotless..ie under wheel arches.can or can`t the car be packed if its containered..????

Dizzy Dave..

Thanks for that Iron Chief! Another question maybe you can help, the UK Passat only has MPH on the dial but has KPH as a digital read out at the bottom of the clock. Do you know if they would insist on the spedo being changed?

It's Chef ;) I suspect it would be ok, but I can't speak for the local authority in the state you're going to, as they will obviously have the final say.

Mr Iron Chief,

Is there anything you need for a car with Air-con,can it be shipped without touching anything or hos it need de-charging...do we need a cert for it..also dose it matter how much fuels in the tank..and i gather it has to be spotless..ie under wheel arches.can or can`t the car be packed if its containered..????

Dizzy Dave..

I think I've mentioned this already in this thread, but you either need to have a CFC gas permit here (cost: $600 and about a 3 week wait) or you can de-gas it before it leaves the UK (cost: much less and about 10 minutes!). If I haven't put a copy of the form that needs to be filled out on here, let me know.

It's Chef ;) I suspect it would be ok, but I can't speak for the local authority in the state you're going to, as they will obviously have the final say.

Oops, sorry Chef! I'll try to find out from the WA vehicle people.

Hey hey Iron Chef,

Great post, very helpful! So I have a bit of a odd one about overseas travel during the qualifying period..

I'm an Aussie citizen and I've been living in the UK the last few years, I have a 2006 BMW M5, which is in good nic, low mileage etc that I'd like to import when I move back. I will have owned the car 12 months before I apply for the import approval.

I'll have only been outside the UK and away for the car for less than 20 days or so when I apply (so under the 42 day requirement), but during the qualifying period I am planning to take the car over to Europe and do a driving holiday for 2 months. Do you think they are going to have an issue with me being out of the UK for these 2 months? I'll have the car with me and driving it everyday - presumably the question should be all about absences away from the car....

Your thoughts, hints or tips welcomed :)

Hey hey Iron Chef,

Great post, very helpful! So I have a bit of a odd one about overseas travel during the qualifying period..

I'm an Aussie citizen and I've been living in the UK the last few years, I have a 2006 BMW M5, which is in good nic, low mileage etc that I'd like to import when I move back. I will have owned the car 12 months before I apply for the import approval.

I'll have only been outside the UK and away for the car for less than 20 days or so when I apply (so under the 42 day requirement), but during the qualifying period I am planning to take the car over to Europe and do a driving holiday for 2 months. Do you think they are going to have an issue with me being out of the UK for these 2 months? I'll have the car with me and driving it everyday - presumably the question should be all about absences away from the car....

Your thoughts, hints or tips welcomed :)

There's no restriction on where you use the car, so if you take it overseas on a driving holiday (make sure you go to Nurburgring!) you would need evidence to show that you took the car with you - fuel receipts, ferry tickets, that sort of stuff, especially if it has the licence plate of the car on it.

Morning all....

Been mulling this over for a long time but looks like we've finally let the house so I now need to make a decision so am hoping for some 'useful' advice.....

I have two cars; a Kia Sorento 3.5lt V6 converted to LPG owned for 2 years and a Jaguar XK8 4lt V8 owned for 6 years. The Sorento is my day to day car and the financials involved in importing this stand up well so this I will certainly be taking this over.

My dilemma is with the fact that both my Jag and the Sorento are registered in my name. I had thought that I wouldn't be able to get around this but I am sure that I did read somewhere on here that the 'officials' are OK with married couples importing two cars if you can prove that the 'non registered' driver appears on the insurance document and has had daily use of the car. I was hoping that as my wife is insured and uses the Sorento as much as me, that we may be able to import this in her name. Can anybody shed any light on this?

The second part of the dilemma is that the Jag has been laid up in storage in my garage for the past 2 years and registered on a SORN. It has not been insured or MOT'd and as such I wouldn't be able to produce the documents to prove that I could have driven it at the drop of a hat. Are these documents always asked for.......?

Any advice would be really welcomed...!

Thanks in advance....:confused:

Hi Guys! Can anyone tell me which company is a good one to use! We've got a 2010 Vauxhall Zafira so really want to take it with us next year! Also is it best to ship it seperately without any household goods?

Thanks any help appreciated!!

If you're planning to own it for 10 years and run it into the ground, then by all means bring it over, but aside from that, I would advise against importing it. They're not sold in Australia and they're of no value to a collector, so you'll effectively end up with an orphan that is hard to find parts for and difficult to sell.

If you have enough large items that you're planning to fill a container with the car inside it, then yes, use a container, but I generally advise people to send their cars RO-RO and send their goods separately.

Morning all....

Been mulling this over for a long time but looks like we've finally let the house so I now need to make a decision so am hoping for some 'useful' advice.....

I have two cars; a Kia Sorento 3.5lt V6 converted to LPG owned for 2 years and a Jaguar XK8 4lt V8 owned for 6 years. The Sorento is my day to day car and the financials involved in importing this stand up well so this I will certainly be taking this over.

My dilemma is with the fact that both my Jag and the Sorento are registered in my name. I had thought that I wouldn't be able to get around this but I am sure that I did read somewhere on here that the 'officials' are OK with married couples importing two cars if you can prove that the 'non registered' driver appears on the insurance document and has had daily use of the car. I was hoping that as my wife is insured and uses the Sorento as much as me, that we may be able to import this in her name. Can anybody shed any light on this?

The second part of the dilemma is that the Jag has been laid up in storage in my garage for the past 2 years and registered on a SORN. It has not been insured or MOT'd and as such I wouldn't be able to produce the documents to prove that I could have driven it at the drop of a hat. Are these documents always asked for.......?

Any advice would be really welcomed...!

Thanks in advance....:confused:

As you've suggested, the DIT do show some form of leniency for couples when cars are driven by one and owned by the other. You should be ok with the Sorrento.

The Jag could be a touch more difficult, because recent changes to the law say that you're supposed to be using the vehicle immediately prior to moving to Australia. Given how long you've owned it, again there may be some concessions given, but if you go back through the documentation required at the beginning of this thread, you'll probably find that you're not expected to provide registration/MOT documents for the entire period you've owned the vehicle. As long as one of your registration docs has the date you purchased it on it, you should be ok. Put it this way, you don't have anything to lose by trying ;)

Guest nicknpip

Hi Iron Chief,

Lots of useful info on this thread but I thought I'd join and asked my own as I don't think I've seen it covered yet.

Our two cars are a Smart Fortwo Pure 2004 and a Peugeot 306Hdi 2l 2000. Privately purchased second hand for £4800 and £2500 respectively. Although lower priced than the queries so far, their replacement costs in Australia appear a lot more. They also seem less common? The chances of a sale here seem pretty slim, is it actually a better idea to ship a relatively cheaper car?

We are also due to take out a 12month working holiday visa in July... we've had the Smart for over a year but the 306 for 3 - I assume that while we are in Australia on the working holiday visa those months will fail us on the 12 months use and ownership prior to export?

The last question, the 306 has had a few modifications and an engine remap (lowered suspension, upper and lower strutbraces, shortshift gearshift, BHP increase from 100 to 150) - having not seen much in the way of 306's on the web and the additional work that's been done to it, what would you suggest?

Many thanks in advance, Nick

Hi Iron Chief,

Lots of useful info on this thread but I thought I'd join and asked my own as I don't think I've seen it covered yet.

Our two cars are a Smart Fortwo Pure 2004 and a Peugeot 306Hdi 2l 2000. Privately purchased second hand for £4800 and £2500 respectively. Although lower priced than the queries so far, their replacement costs in Australia appear a lot more. They also seem less common? The chances of a sale here seem pretty slim, is it actually a better idea to ship a relatively cheaper car?

We are also due to take out a 12month working holiday visa in July... we've had the Smart for over a year but the 306 for 3 - I assume that while we are in Australia on the working holiday visa those months will fail us on the 12 months use and ownership prior to export?

The last question, the 306 has had a few modifications and an engine remap (lowered suspension, upper and lower strutbraces, shortshift gearshift, BHP increase from 100 to 150) - having not seen much in the way of 306's on the web and the additional work that's been done to it, what would you suggest?

Many thanks in advance, Nick

lol you guys obviously don't get Iron Chef on TV over your way - for anyone here who hasn't seen it, check out SBS1 on a Saturday night ;)

Nick, welcome to the forums! I think you'll find that, in order to be able to bring over a personal import, you'd need to have a permanent residency visa, a working holiday visa won't cut it for the purposes of importing a car. Have a read through the regs at the start of this thread for further clarification on acceptable visa codes.

Guest nicknpip
lol you guys obviously don't get Iron Chef on TV over your way - for anyone here who hasn't seen it, check out SBS1 on a Saturday night ;)

I guess not - we don't actually have a TV ourselves, haven't for 3+ years now!

Sorry I forgot to add in there that we're waiting for our permanent residency visa to be approved - we'd be looking to do the import when that's through.

Guest Doozclump

This thread has been very enlightening, cheers.

We are moving to Perth on a 176 visa next year and were just going to sell the cars and buy something (boring) in oz to get us about. After reading this thread i would be grateful if you would think it would be worth our while bringing our cars over. My car is a 2007 Honda civic type r with only 16k miles and wife’s car is a 2004 Mazda rx8 230 with only 20k miles. I have looked at selling them here and would get $24k Aus , but to buy in Perth would cost approx $60k for the 2 of them. I just can't seem to get the sums right in my head for RORO or containers and how much tax etc, I just want to be able to work out a sum of money so I can put it aside for the move, any help would be much appreciated,

Cheer’s Andy

Guest destinationoz

Thanks for all the info Ironchef - you must be getting fed up of the same (similar) question but if you can stomach more .... what do you think about bringing over:

1) Vauxhall Zafira 2007 1.6 basic model, approx 24000 on clock, great nick, owned from new - worth about £7500

2) VW Golf 2004 1.6, about 30k on clock and owned from new ...

We have PR Visa and hope to move out to Canberra within the year!

Thank you very much for your time

Hi Iron C. I'm another person, thinking of bringing my motor over to Oz! surprise surprise! except my car is a Mint X Volvo V40 1.6i with 75k on the clock , full Volvo Service history one previous owner , and an LPG conversion last January. As i have stated the car is Mint inside and outside and the engine is as clean as a whistle and has no leaks anywhere, i have owned this car for 3 years and its never missed a beat. Looking at the Red Book value of my car in Oz from what i can recall it was valued at about 5k over there according to the Red book, but i have seen them advertised from 5-10k online both private and dealers?, its only worth about 2-3k here (looking in the UK Autotrader) .

I'm not sure if the 1.6 V40 was sold in Oz the 1.8 and 2.0 seem to be sold over there, i sent an e-mail to a Volvo Dealer inquiring about availability for parts for the 1.6, and stated that the car would be imported from the UK , but they never replied :(

Ro-Ro services seem to be the way to go, like 1k to her there, but its all this other Oz compliant MOT stuff and import taxes that's putting me off the idea, But i do love that car and if it does come with me, i will drive it into the ground, being a Volvo that could take a long time! i still see E,F, G and H reg Volvos thundering down the M25 on a daily basis and my motor is deffo good for 200k , as a mate has one with 205k and its still running like a champ!

How much paper work and dramas is really involved in shipping a motor over to Oz, is it a headache or a fairly straight forward affair?

I do realise that your being inundated with questions on this subject and would be grateful if you could answer my queries when you can :) cheers

Forgot to mention i will hopefully have a 176 state sponsored Visa (PR)

Hi Iron Chef,

I am looking at buying a Toyota Hilux 3.0 Diesel D4D here in Ireland and shipping to Oz when i move over in Jan 2012. If i havent owned the car for 12months is there any import taxes i would have to pay or are they strict on the 12months.

Im getting a 2009 Model for 28,000 Aus D here in Ireland. 20K Euro.

Is this worth shipping over or should i not bother. Also could i buy 2 here ship and sell one of them once i arrive in Oz.

Let me know what you think on this.

Thanks

My apologies, I've been out of action for most of this week!

Interestingly enough, I've been helping a bloke from Japan take DIT to court in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal over refusal of an import approval application - more on that when we get the ruling ;)

This thread has been very enlightening, cheers.

We are moving to Perth on a 176 visa next year and were just going to sell the cars and buy something (boring) in oz to get us about. After reading this thread i would be grateful if you would think it would be worth our while bringing our cars over. My car is a 2007 Honda civic type r with only 16k miles and wife’s car is a 2004 Mazda rx8 230 with only 20k miles. I have looked at selling them here and would get $24k Aus , but to buy in Perth would cost approx $60k for the 2 of them. I just can't seem to get the sums right in my head for RORO or containers and how much tax etc, I just want to be able to work out a sum of money so I can put it aside for the move, any help would be much appreciated,

Cheer’s Andy

Hi Andy, my day job is to import cars like your EP3 Civic Type R - I'm presuming it's an EP3 and not an FD2? If it's the latter, then definitely bring it over! The RX-8 is probably worth bringing over if you're enjoying driving it.

I'll put some shipping prices up for you all in a minute so you can get an idea of how much you're looking at.

Thanks for all the info Ironchef - you must be getting fed up of the same (similar) question but if you can stomach more .... what do you think about bringing over:

1) Vauxhall Zafira 2007 1.6 basic model, approx 24000 on clock, great nick, owned from new - worth about £7500

2) VW Golf 2004 1.6, about 30k on clock and owned from new ...

We have PR Visa and hope to move out to Canberra within the year!

Thank you very much for your time

In 50 words or less...sell the Zafira, they never sold the later model versions here, and only bring the Golf if you're intending to use it for a while before you sell it - there are plenty of them here in Oz, and the 1.6 is the cheapest version available here.

Hi Iron C. I'm another person, thinking of bringing my motor over to Oz! surprise surprise! except my car is a Mint X Volvo V40 1.6i with 75k on the clock , full Volvo Service history one previous owner , and an LPG conversion last January. As i have stated the car is Mint inside and outside and the engine is as clean as a whistle and has no leaks anywhere, i have owned this car for 3 years and its never missed a beat. Looking at the Red Book value of my car in Oz from what i can recall it was valued at about 5k over there according to the Red book, but i have seen them advertised from 5-10k online both private and dealers?, its only worth about 2-3k here (looking in the UK Autotrader) .

I'm not sure if the 1.6 V40 was sold in Oz the 1.8 and 2.0 seem to be sold over there, i sent an e-mail to a Volvo Dealer inquiring about availability for parts for the 1.6, and stated that the car would be imported from the UK , but they never replied :(

Ro-Ro services seem to be the way to go, like 1k to her there, but its all this other Oz compliant MOT stuff and import taxes that's putting me off the idea, But i do love that car and if it does come with me, i will drive it into the ground, being a Volvo that could take a long time! i still see E,F, G and H reg Volvos thundering down the M25 on a daily basis and my motor is deffo good for 200k , as a mate has one with 205k and its still running like a champ!

How much paper work and dramas is really involved in shipping a motor over to Oz, is it a headache or a fairly straight forward affair?

I do realise that your being inundated with questions on this subject and would be grateful if you could answer my queries when you can :) cheers

Forgot to mention i will hopefully have a 176 state sponsored Visa (PR)

If you're happy with your car and want to run it into the ground (this applies to any car, for that matter), then the depreciation issue is never going to be a problem, so go for it if you're in that boat. You'll probably find that Volvo can get hold of parts for the 1.6litre (they only sold the V40 in 1.8 and 2.0litre) but that it will take a few days for them to arrive from overseas (or if you want to be proactive, just order the parts you need from Volvo NZ yourself).

Worst case scenario - if your engine was ever to expire, I doubt a replacement second hand 1.8 or 2.0 litre motor would cost much...

Hi Iron Chef,

I am looking at buying a Toyota Hilux 3.0 Diesel D4D here in Ireland and shipping to Oz when i move over in Jan 2012. If i havent owned the car for 12months is there any import taxes i would have to pay or are they strict on the 12months.

Im getting a 2009 Model for 28,000 Aus D here in Ireland. 20K Euro.

Is this worth shipping over or should i not bother. Also could i buy 2 here ship and sell one of them once i arrive in Oz.

Let me know what you think on this.

Thanks

They're VERY strict on the 12 months. Check on prices of Hiluxes here vs UK, but as a general rule the Hilux here has very good resale and it's worth doing. And no you can't buy two and send them over, unless you have a partner who's coming with you and can register one in their name, but I can think of more profitable cars to spend 20K Euro on...

Oh Really Iron Chef.

What car would you recommend i buy to bring with me that i could sell on in Oz for some profit.

I have about 20K Euro im looking to spend.

Also can you PM me please if you would be interested in landing and clearing the car for me.

Regards

Hi Mr Iron Chef.......Reading this thread it appears your knowledge on this subject is legendary......Ok enough with the buttering up....

I would like to know what your thoughts are on importing to OZ my 2004 Vauxhall Vivaro Van, 2.5L, 2900, DTi, LWB with full roof racking, tow bar and built in hands free bluetooth. Its only got 30 000 on the clock and is pretty much a minter but perhaps only worth £5000 in the UK. I can see that the vivaro isnt widely used in OZ but the Renault Trafic is which is pretty much the same van.

I would perhaps run this into the ground if I brought it because its such a good drive, although it aint got 'Air Con'......also not sure about the other costs involved with the import and whether these would make it a viable move.

My last question is....would my van actually fit in a shipping container ?????

Thanks for your help

Carlos

Great original post and very informative.At the end of the day though,i would say most emphatically"Would you be arsed?":nah:It's mega stressful just getting here with all the costs and beurocratic none sense you encounter daily at first,without this as well.Looks like it's not for the faint hearted!:yes:

Hiya,

I am actually feeling pretty guilty about asking another question, about yet another car!I can't help but ask, as your knowledge seems invaluable!!

We are looking to move over Jan/Feb 2012 and own a 2005, Audi TT 3.2 Manual. It only has 14,000 miles on it. We were thinking it could go into the container with household stuff.

Have you any idea for the costs, and if it is a car worth bringing. Looking forward to hearing what you think, as it might get my husband off of the car subject!

Thanks in advance,

Donna

-I think he might have already sent you a little message, so apologise if this is the 2nd enquiry!

They're VERY strict on the 12 months. Check on prices of Hiluxes here vs UK, but as a general rule the Hilux here has very good resale and it's worth doing. And no you can't buy two and send them over, unless you have a partner who's coming with you and can register one in their name, but I can think of more profitable cars to spend 20K Euro on...

Can I just check this ,what your saying is one car per person ,as I was wanting to take 1 car, a motorhome and 2 vintage scooters ,I have plenty of time to change one of the owners over ,but thought its best to check now while I still have time ,

thanks Kevin.

How much does it cost to ship a car?

I should point out that shipping via container can often be better than RO-RO if you're also planning to fill the container with personal effects, but bear in mind that a container will be 50-100% more expensive than RO-RO.

So here are the costs ex-Southampton to all ports in Australia through my contacts in the UK. This should help a bit with working out costings.

Load: Southampton

Destination: Fremantle, Melbourne, Port Kembla, Brisbane

Cargo: 1 x Vehicle

Ocean Freight: USD800.00 / Vehicle

Bunker/Fuel: USD14.96 per Cubic Metre

Port Charges: AUD9.51 per Cubic Metre

Terminal Security: AUD1.50 per Vehicle

Documentation: AUD70.00 per Bill of Lading

As an example:

2001 BMW X5 - 4667mm(L)x1872(W)x1711(H) = 14.94m3

Freight - USD800

BAF - USD224

Port Charges - AUD143

Docs - AUD70

I'll leave you guys to do the conversions, obviously it's gonna change with the exchange rate...

Note: Allow another AUD800 at this end for miscellaneous dock charges and valuation fees.

Hope this helps!

Oh Really Iron Chef.

What car would you recommend i buy to bring with me that i could sell on in Oz for some profit.

I have about 20K Euro im looking to spend.

Also can you PM me please if you would be interested in landing and clearing the car for me.

Regards

Escort Cossie, Mitsubishi Evo FQ400, any UK-special STi Subaru, Clio Williams V6, I'm not sure on prices of some of the exotics, but a late model 911 would be worth considering, or if someone REALLY wants to be my friend, an Infiniti FX50 hehe (think they're still silly money though!)

Feel free to email me at kristian@ironchefimports.com for my assistance although please be patient with replies, I'm completely snowed under with emails at the moment!

Hi Mr Iron Chef.......Reading this thread it appears your knowledge on this subject is legendary......Ok enough with the buttering up....

I would like to know what your thoughts are on importing to OZ my 2004 Vauxhall Vivaro Van, 2.5L, 2900, DTi, LWB with full roof racking, tow bar and built in hands free bluetooth. Its only got 30 000 on the clock and is pretty much a minter but perhaps only worth £5000 in the UK. I can see that the vivaro isnt widely used in OZ but the Renault Trafic is which is pretty much the same van.

I would perhaps run this into the ground if I brought it because its such a good drive, although it aint got 'Air Con'......also not sure about the other costs involved with the import and whether these would make it a viable move.

My last question is....would my van actually fit in a shipping container ?????

Thanks for your help

Carlos

Hi Carlos, if it's the same as the Renault Trafic then servicing should be an issue (I'm pretty sure the Trafic runs that same motor here), but you will die of heat exhaustion without air con so make sure you get it fitted when you get here - if you're planning to run it into the ground, then go for it, just make sure you change the badges to Renault when you sell it or no-one will know what it is ;)

If you can fit it inside a container and put all your personal effects inside it, then that's a better option - because RORO is charged per cubic metre, you'd get whalloped on volume if you took that option, and inner cargo on RORO wouldn't be covered by insurance.

Great original post and very informative.At the end of the day though,i would say most emphatically"Would you be arsed?":nah:It's mega stressful just getting here with all the costs and beurocratic none sense you encounter daily at first,without this as well.Looks like it's not for the faint hearted!:yes:

That's pretty much it - it's a fair effort and a large amount of red tape to cut through, so you really need to want to keep your car (or make lots of money/lose less) to go through with it.

Hiya,

I am actually feeling pretty guilty about asking another question, about yet another car!I can't help but ask, as your knowledge seems invaluable!!

We are looking to move over Jan/Feb 2012 and own a 2005, Audi TT 3.2 Manual. It only has 14,000 miles on it. We were thinking it could go into the container with household stuff.

Have you any idea for the costs, and if it is a car worth bringing. Looking forward to hearing what you think, as it might get my husband off of the car subject!

Thanks in advance,

Donna

-I think he might have already sent you a little message, so apologise if this is the 2nd enquiry!

Hi Donna, I reckon it's worth bringing over, TTs still fetch pretty good money here. As for costs, I can't really give accurate prices on containers at the moment (too many variables) but I'll check into that more for you. I'm waiting on more info from my shipping company by way of comparison.

Can I just check this ,what your saying is one car per person ,as I was wanting to take 1 car, a motorhome and 2 vintage scooters ,I have plenty of time to change one of the owners over ,but thought its best to check now while I still have time ,

thanks Kevin.

The scooters (and any vehicles) will be fine if they were built prior to 1989, and the motorhome still counts as a car, so you would need to have one in your name and one in your partner's name if you want to bring in another car as well as the motorhome and scooters. It can still be done if they're all in your name, but it saves hassles if they're registered in different names when it comes time to apply for import approval.