Working Holiday Visa Peeps :)

BritChickx

Sounds good Hodgie :) best of luck with the job hunt!!

Ike, good luck finding a car! And same goes to you villatom with the hostels!

Some of my friends (and family) think it's weird that I'm going out there on my own too.

Cheers BritChick, im off again to hand some more cv's out lol.

Ahh, they may think its weird but have any of them done it? Im sure you'll love it out here and it wont take you long to make some friends and im sure they will be friends for life! Not long to go for ya!! :D

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest James Kimmins

Hi, I'm going on a WHV for a year from 30th September. I'm flying with Malaysia Airlines and staying for in Sydney for the first week because it's par of the RealGap package I bought (and because it's Sydney)!

After that I feel I'll be doing the Harvest Trial and going where ever that takes me. I'm a bit anxious about it thought because I can't apply for HT jobs until I'm in Australia- I would prefer to have a job waiting for me. Is anyone else working for Harvest Trail? Any good? Is it hard to find work atm in Australia?

I am not on a WHV myself, but my nephew went on one after he finished uni. He saved up for a round-the-world ticket and started off in Tasmania where he had all his stuff stolen and lost his money and passport.

His mum (my sister) arranged new passport and emergency funds and he was eventually able to travel north to Sydney and later to Queensland. He tried a bit of bar work and banana picking for a while then got fed up with that and travelled a bit more.

Eventually he made his way to New Zealand where he stayed for several months and met the love of his life (a kiwi). They have returned to the UK together and are both working hard to save up enough funds to return to New Zealand and then ultimately to live in Australia.

Although he got off to a bad start in Oz (losing money and passport) he absolutely loved the place. So anyway, what started out as a bit of an adventure has now developed into a life plan.

So you never know BC, keep your options open and enjoy (and take care of your belongings).

Best wishes Metoo

Guest James Kimmins

Good luck BritChickx. I have 5 weeks to go, first week in Sydney!

I have a question about mobile phones- doono if anyone can help or advice me? I want to get a new pay-as-you-go phone here in the UK and take it to Australia. I know I need a quadband phone but will any unlocked PAYG UK phone work in Australia with an Austrailan SIM card?:huh:

I did my WHV in 2005 - was epic. I had just finished my first year of uni and I booked an eight week around the world trip back, I did not arive back until 12 months later lol!! I finished my degree and have since emigrated here - best expereince EVER and doubt I will returnt to the UK again!! Have a great time it will be by far one of the best expereinces of your life and yu will meet some intresting characters a long the way!

Good luck BritChickx. I have 5 weeks to go, first week in Sydney!

I have a question about mobile phones- doono if anyone can help or advice me? I want to get a new pay-as-you-go phone here in the UK and take it to Australia. I know I need a quadband phone but will any unlocked PAYG UK phone work in Australia with an Austrailan SIM card?:huh:

Hi from my expereince my old vodaphone never did work even with an Astralian sim. Your best bet would be to just buy a chepay phone when you get here that way avoid any extra expense. Telstra and Optus have some relaly good plans here. Telstra covers the majority of Aus so the signal is good even in remote places whereas the others can be a bit up & down.! Good luck and happy travels.

Dudes im heading out n the 22nd of september on a whv, i have family in sydney who i will be staying with for a while then i will get a 2nd year visa hopefully. I am a carpenter by trade and i am looking to stay out there and make a good go of it. But i havnt got a clue what to expect! Just hope i can find sponsorship! Any advice guys???

Good luck to you all!!!

Guest James Kimmins

Has anybody worked for Harvest Trail before?

Can't apply until I'm in Australia which is a nervous situation, going there without a job, but it seems easy enough to get a job with them.

There's jobs all over Australia with HT and I would like to try an outdoor job rather than offices and call centres I've worked in in the UK.

Good luck to everyone x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Scarletta

Hey everyone,

I'm in a similar situation - I'm leaving blighty in November to embark on a year in Oz on the WHV. I've got over 5 years experience in my profession and I am looking to hopefully get sponsorship when I get out to Melbourne. It's a daunting time going all the way across to the other side of the world alone but I really want to give it a go.

Where did you people start? Did you get your visa then organise your tax file number and then a bank account or is there a better order to do things?

Hey everyone,

I'm in a similar situation - I'm leaving blighty in November to embark on a year in Oz on the WHV. I've got over 5 years experience in my profession and I am looking to hopefully get sponsorship when I get out to Melbourne. It's a daunting time going all the way across to the other side of the world alone but I really want to give it a go.

Where did you people start? Did you get your visa then organise your tax file number and then a bank account or is there a better order to do things?

You can't get your tax number until you are in the country, but you could set up your bank account before you go over if you want - you can then pick up your cash card when you land and use it immediately. HTH a bit :)

Guest The Pom Queen
Hey everyone,

You can open a bank account with NAB online and start putting savings in to the account ready for your trip. A TFN will have to wait until you arrive.

Melbourne is a great place and you are arriving at the right time of year.

Guest guest48973

ill be landing in australia on october 24th cant wait :) i just need to set my bank account up and find somewhere to stay & fingers crossed find a job. 12month WHV

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Joebhoy87

How yous all doing? Heading to melbourne on a WHV 5 weeks and cant wait :D . Going to work ther for a few months as a bricklayer then head up the east coast. Started up a bank account no bother through NAB just need to get a tax number sorted and get a white card for work. Also dnt have somewhere to stay sorted yet, prob end up in a hostel at first. But just cant wait now, hope the last couple of weeks dont start to drag in lol

Hi People! We are coming out in October... just less than three weeks left til we go! Just wondering how everyone is feeling about it?? Once we booked the flights we were so excited but now starting to feel nervous!! - A good nervous I think! We're coming on a WHV. Also, what is the white card? I didn't know if its similar to what my partner would need as a scaffolder im sure I read somewhere he would need a white card.. or green card or something lol. Anyway hope the time goes quick for you!

i arrive in sydney on 10th november. cant wait really excited! :biggrin:

Havent sorted bank account yet, or anywhere to stay or work lol, but im sure it will get sorted :wink:

Probly move on to melbourne at some point then the east coast.

Guest James Kimmins

I leave the UK this Friday (30/10/11) and arrive in Sydney on Sunday. I'm very nervous about it, sure it will go well but it's a huge step.

Been feeling ill for a few days, I just need to get there now.

Anyone else go to Down Under Live in Birmingham today? Some decent info, maybe not worth 400 mile round trip but I feel more ready for the move now.

Meant to be lots of work in Perth. I'm hoping for something around Brisbane and Sunshine Coast.

There could be many more opportunities in Australia than the UK or maybe it's just marketing and BS, we'll soon find out

Archived