Working Holiday Visa Peeps :)

BritChickx

Guest Herrboarder

I am likely to be heading out to Australia in August time on a Working Holiday Visa, am busy working to get a bit more experience and cash behind me so that I can hopefully find some sponsorship and stay out there! A few jobs seem to be coming up in my area at the minute so its worth trying to apply now, the worst that happens is they turn me down but at least I've got my CV out there right?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it's great that you've got your CV out there, hopefully they'll keep it in their files and when you're out there you can get back in touch, or they can get hold of you and maybe do some temporary work, then see how you go from there? I'm going out in August too!

Guest Herrboarder

That's the plan! If I don't quite meet their requirements now hopefully they will keep it as an Expression of Interest! Seems like the right month to be going, towards the end of our Summer but before the wet Autumn and straight into their Spring! To be honest I don't think I could put up with another winter like the one we have just had - I know Australia has winter's but I'm willing to be they're not as snowy!

That's the plan! If I don't quite meet their requirements now hopefully they will keep it as an Expression of Interest! Seems like the right month to be going, towards the end of our Summer but before the wet Autumn and straight into their Spring! To be honest I don't think I could put up with another winter like the one we have just had - I know Australia has winter's but I'm willing to be they're not as snowy!

Yip there is winters but usually its a bit cold (ie you probably need a jacket) but dry. It snows down the snowy mountains too funny enough about 3 hrs drive from Sydney.

In north QLD there is no winter or summer, just wet & dry seasons.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RedSquirrel

ello ello!! I'm heading out on my WHV hopefully in may! was supposed to be me and my boyfriend, but we split so i am heading out on my own EEEEK but cant wait, its good to hear other people going and experiences!!! loving this thread.

ello ello!! I'm heading out on my WHV hopefully in may! was supposed to be me and my boyfriend, but we split so i am heading out on my own EEEEK but cant wait, its good to hear other people going and experiences!!! loving this thread.

All the very best and have an amazing time!! We leave here in 13 days.. cant bloody wait!!

:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dannylatics

Im going out soon as I man up and just do it. I have about 3 k in the bank and a fairly decent job but Ill be givig all that up to take my dream trip

Planning on a 2 year WHV on my own :( but I have heard its the best way to meet new people and do what you want. While Im over there Id love to find a sponser, Im a service engineer fixing pumps, but Im only 24 so plenty of time after the WHV to get a perm visa

Just really impatient, want it all now. Hoping to start in the Northern territories working my way down the East Coast, hopefully ending up in Perth.

Guest MarkyMark123

Hi,

Sorry, very new to all of this but without boring you all too much I'm looking to go out on a WHV to be with my girlfriend whom I met in the UK (she's australian) to clock up 12 months worth of residence with her and qualify for a partner visa.

I'm currently a car salesman and wan't to avoid stopping my career for a year to do all of this if possible and understand that you can only work for an employer for up to 6 months at a time? What I need to know when applying for car sales jobs is if I can simply cease my employment with a dealership say as a used car sales exec and take up employment with them again as a new car sales exec immediately or not?

If this where a possiblity, would it be frowned upon by the bigwigs who will eventually make a decision on my pootential partner visa pplication and harm my chances of staying in any way?

You help is much appreciated!

Mark

Hi,

Sorry, very new to all of this but without boring you all too much I'm looking to go out on a WHV to be with my girlfriend whom I met in the UK (she's australian) to clock up 12 months worth of residence with her and qualify for a partner visa.

I'm currently a car salesman and wan't to avoid stopping my career for a year to do all of this if possible and understand that you can only work for an employer for up to 6 months at a time? What I need to know when applying for car sales jobs is if I can simply cease my employment with a dealership say as a used car sales exec and take up employment with them again as a new car sales exec immediately or not?

If this where a possiblity, would it be frowned upon by the bigwigs who will eventually make a decision on my pootential partner visa pplication and harm my chances of staying in any way?

You help is much appreciated!

Mark

Hi MarkyMark,

you might wanna take a look at this:

Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)

it states "Working for longer than six months with the same organisation, regardless of whether the duties or location of the employee change, is generally not allowed"

i'd be wary of trying to do this - flouting regulations on a WHV may not bode well for your visa hopes down the line if they find out! i've heard they are clamping down on people trying to get fraudulent 2nd WHV so they may well be paying more attention to how long people work on them too!

i know it sucks and you want to make life as easy for yourself as possible but it's best to stick on the right side of the DIAC so things can go smoothly! :D

Hope it works out for you! :biggrin:

Caz

15 days now.... Can't wait!

Have a great time! We arrived Saturday, to a nice 34 degrees over the weekend, although had a few windy storms since! Its great just chilling down the beach.. looking at a campervan tomorrow although staying put for a few weeks but looks a bargain!!

Are you travelling round or basing yourself in Newcastle?

• 3 weeks later...
Have a great time! We arrived Saturday, to a nice 34 degrees over the weekend, although had a few windy storms since! Its great just chilling down the beach.. looking at a campervan tomorrow although staying put for a few weeks but looks a bargain!!

Are you travelling round or basing yourself in Newcastle?

Sorry for the late reply! Things were so hectic leading up to us leaving. We arrived in Sydney on Thursday morning, so we are just chilling for a week here before heading to Newcastle on the 18th.

We have just got the Internet and our Aussie mobile numbers sorted. We are currently pricing car hire to drive up to Newcastle, probably going to keep it for a few weeks while we are there to get around and look at properties.

We are definatly looking at basing ourself in Newcastle and working. So much to do and look forward to. This journey has just begun...

Guest orangepeelskin

just to update you on some recent changes to WHV in Australia as announced by the australian Government in parliament 9/3/2011.

British passport holders who have WHV for periods longer than 6 months, must pay a congruence fee of A$230 effective 15/4/2011. This fee does not apply to WHV holders of the Channel Isles, Guernsey and Jersey, Isle of Man. The fee may be paid at any consular office within Australia at major centres. Failure to pay the fee may result in penalties being applied at the point of departure within all Australian airports and ferry terminals upon the departure of the WHV holder from Australian territories. This advice is available at all international Australian consular establishments and via

Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade homepage or Smartraveller: The Australian Government's travel advisory and consular assistance service - Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or contact any consular establishments within a Australian major capital centres.

Guest jeeves
agreed, good thread chick! thought you'd have got more responses though.

i'm a whv has been, went in january 2004 and loved it sooooo much that i ended up living that life style permanently lol 7 years later here i am in a shared house full of working holiday makers with my pr visa making them jealous lol :D

Hi, I'm on a whv now and just saw your post. I want to get stuck into some rural work asap.

Any info or contacts about where i could do some? I dont have any experience but if its better than fruit picking i'd probably stay in it for longer.

just to update you on some recent changes to WHV in Australia as announced by the australian Government in parliament 9/3/2011.

British passport holders who have WHV for periods longer than 6 months, must pay a congruence fee of A$230 effective 15/4/2011. This fee does not apply to WHV holders of the Channel Isles, Guernsey and Jersey, Isle of Man. The fee may be paid at any consular office within Australia at major centres. Failure to pay the fee may result in penalties being applied at the point of departure within all Australian airports and ferry terminals upon the departure of the WHV holder from Australian territories. This advice is available at all international Australian consular establishments and via

Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade homepage or Smartraveller: The Australian Government's travel advisory and consular assistance service - Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or contact any consular establishments within a Australian major capital centres.

I had a look at the DIAC website which I consider a source of truth, cant see anything relating to this.

Also cant find anything in those links.

Guest RedSquirrel
Im going out soon as I man up and just do it. I have about 3 k in the bank and a fairly decent job but Ill be givig all that up to take my dream trip

Planning on a 2 year WHV on my own :( but I have heard its the best way to meet new people and do what you want. While Im over there Id love to find a sponser, Im a service engineer fixing pumps, but Im only 24 so plenty of time after the WHV to get a perm visa

Just really impatient, want it all now. Hoping to start in the Northern territories working my way down the East Coast, hopefully ending up in Perth.

Sounds like you're in the same place as me sir! my feet are so itchy...cannot wait to land down under!

when are you planning on going? I'm going on my own...it feels daunting now but i know as soon as i get there it will all go away and be AMAZING!!

Hey guys,

I arrived here on my WHV last week and living with my mum and dads best friends who are out here, got myself a car, a bank account and a sim card sorted which is good. Gonna go out handing my Cv's to all the companies around the area tomorrow. Weather is gorgeous, people at shops etc are so polite and friendly, only been here a week but i reckon i could really get used to this lol. Fingers crossed i can find myself a work sponsor! Not much more to say other than sun, sea and beer!! lol

Hi Hodgie, not been here long myself and loving it. I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. Just need to go out and get myself a car. How did you find buying one? We are looking at jobs and long term accomodation right now. Best of luck to you.

Hey Ike, i replied to your post about the car, lemmie know if you need more info. I was quite lucky as my mum and dads friends have got friends that own a mechanics and one of thier sons was selling his motor off so i got mates rates as well, its an idea to maybe find a car with an LPG conversion as well. All the best with your plans as well.

Guest villatom1987

Hello everyone, glad i found this post as there doesnt seem to be much on this site for working holidayers! Havent posted on this site since 2009 but been reading loads of info on here regularly, cant believe ive been planning it that long and now its 8 weeks away! Going out in May from Brum to Brisbane via Dubai, cant wait! Going on my own which some of my friends think is weird but the ones who have travelled dont! Im hoping to find some kind of sponsorsip in the time im there, fully qualified bricklayer and lifeguard and with whats happened in queensland the last few months im sure building work is going to be pretty rife for a good while!

Did everyone here use moneycorp to transfer their funds over to an australian bank account?! Can anyone recommend the best hostel to stay in in brisbane for when i get there?! found a few good ones via lonely plant and tripadvisor reviews but wanna see what people on here say!

peace

Archived