State Migration Plans and planning levels...

George Lombard

I am a recent graduate accounting graduate but for SA sponsorship there is a special requirement of 3 years' work experience. Does this apply for recent graduates as well? The funny thing is, in another part of the website it says that international students are eligible to a work experience waiver if they manage to get an overall IELTS score of 7.5 which I fortunately have. Does this work experience waiver apply only to occupations with NO SPECIAL REQUIREmENTS or does it apply to management accountants as well?

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kittymeow
Hi,

I cannot comment if NSW is oversubscribed, but NSW say they sponsored around 280 applicants for 176/886 last year. If NSW gets only 10% of 23000 places, their applicants should be ok, even those from previous financial years.

Alex

If i'm not mistaken. My agent mentioned WA allocated 500 state sponsor mid year..:mask:

If i'm not mistaken. My agent mentioned WA allocated 500 state sponsor mid year..:mask:

Aparantly, ACT is one of oversubscribed states as it has already sent emails to its applicants, it is also very small and can not include all its applicants in SMP, in addition it has not stoped accepting applications like other states and kept accepting applications during temporary suspension of visa applications,

I wonder how ACT plans to provide all its migrants with job opportunities ?!:eek:

Regards

Aparantly, ACT is one of oversubscribed states as it has already sent emails to its applicants, it is also very small and can not include all its applicants in SMP, in addition it has not stoped accepting applications like other states and kept accepting applications during temporary suspension of visa applications,

I wonder how ACT plans to provide all its migrants with job opportunities ?!:eek:

Regards

Just because they sent an email to their sponsored applicants asking them to re-confirm their interest does not mean that they are an over-subscribed state. Do you know this for certain?

The email they sent did not say that they cannot include all in SMP, they were clearly trying to find out who was still interested as some applicants were sponsored back in 2008 and may have decided to not move to Oz or go to another state.

Just because they sent an email to their sponsored applicants asking them to re-confirm their interest does not mean that they are an over-subscribed state. Do you know this for certain?

The email they sent did not say that they cannot include all in SMP, they were clearly trying to find out who was still interested as some applicants were sponsored back in 2008 and may have decided to not move to Oz or go to another state.

As far as I remember they ask their applicants to prove positive prospect of employment for their nominated occupation.

Regards:wubclub:

As far as I remember they ask their applicants to prove positive prospect of employment for their nominated occupation.

Regards:wubclub:

Reza, they have not asked their applicants to prove positive prospect of employment for their nominated occupation, they have asked the application to reconfirm their interest in ACT and to prove that the job market will assist them in finding suitable employment. They do not want to waste their time on those not really interested and I am with them on this.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

The State Governments are not over subscribed. The only thing that could make them "over subscscribed" would be a decision by Minister Evans to cut back on the number of applicants that each State is allowed to sponsor, after all.

It looks to me like another Government lash-up. If Evans wanted to curtail the number of people that each State is allowed to sponsor, why didn't he insist on that in December 2008 when he first introduced the idea of promoting State sponsorship?

I think it is the usual story of Evans having tried to slam the stable door after the horse has bolted and then trying to blame everybody else for his own incompetence and lack of foresight. No doubt it was yet another of his feeble excuses for wanting the Cap & Kill Bill 2010.

The State Governments have been sponsoring people for several years. They know what they are doing. I suspect that Evans suddenly arrived on a bike, did not understand what he was doing but shared Rudd's obsession with trying to micro-manage all the details from Canberra. It is grossly unfair to try to blame the State Governments for his own shortcomings but I suspect that this is what he tried to do.

Hopefully the new Minister is less xenophobic and less incompetent than Evans.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

I understand that the carve up of the 23,000 places between the states means that most states have approved more sponsorship applications than they can fill in the next 12 months, and some have more applications on hand than they can fill in the 12 months after that, possibly longer for particular occupations. Something a senior DIAC official said in May explaining the new arrangements - that the Skilled Migration Program was not a demographic correction exercise for states wishing to generate a larger workforce - starts to resonate.

We need to see the SMPs before we can comment specifically - hopefully DIAC will also release the division of the 23,000 between the states, between occupations, and between temporary and permanent applicants as well. Perhaps you could be using the combined resources of PiO participants to try and ferret out that information through the individual states, who it seems are all well aware of the situation.

On your other questions above I'm sorry I wasn't a consistent attender at the conference but haven't heard anything more about cap and cease, other than the quite unofficial suggestion that the Department would continue to regard this as an option but only for very longstanding offshore applicants.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

I understand that the carve up of the 23,000 places between the states means that most states have approved more sponsorship applications than they can fill in the next 12 months, and some have more applications on hand than they can fill in the 12 months after that, possibly longer for particular occupations. Something a senior DIAC official said in May explaining the new arrangements - that the Skilled Migration Program was not a demographic correction exercise for states wishing to generate a larger workforce - starts to resonate.

We need to see the SMPs before we can comment specifically - hopefully DIAC will also release the division of the 23,000 between the states, between occupations, and between temporary and permanent applicants as well. Perhaps you could be using the combined resources of PiO participants to try and ferret out that information through the individual states, who it seems are all well aware of the situation.

On your other questions above I'm sorry I wasn't a consistent attender at the conference but haven't heard anything more about cap and cease, other than the quite unofficial suggestion that the Department would continue to regard this as an option but only for very longstanding offshore applicants.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi George

Thanks very much for the information above.

What an unholy muddle! 23,000 State-sponsored visas means a startng point of 2,875 per State/Territory. WA alone could easily gobble up the quotas for two whole States. Why on earth did Evans promote State sponsorship in the first place?

I think we will have to wait for the SMPs to be published, as you say.

I am sure that the Poms in Oz members will obtain as much information as they can from their own contacts with individual States. Do you think that the MoUs would prevent simply using the FOIA to extract some hard information from DIAC?

Thanks very much for the snippet concerning S39 and the 2010 Bill.

Cheers

Gill

Gillard made comments about "two speed migration" to Australia, so the limited places on the SMP could be an instrument for implementing that.

In which case I'd be expecting states like WA to have a larger quota, whereas VIC could see theirs being capped.

The question that I've got is does the figure for state sponsored applicants cover SMPs and the old fashioned state nominations, or just the SMP?

The loss of the 15 MODL points makes it much harder to get a 175, meaning that independent migrants are either going to have to be very young (under 35 and in a 60 point occupation) or married. That might be a way of skewing the demographics, or it might be a way of clearing some of the backlog of applications.

The way things seem to be going, our family and I'm sure many others may end up with the original visa we applied for! Crazy!

Files have just been moved from one pile to another just to clear the dust!!

Hi Guys

I have just heard from our migration agent regarding the SMP's and numbers for ACT:

Having attended the MIA National Conference on Friday, the States are hoping they will be released before the end of this year.

The ACT has 1750 places available under the new SMP, of this number 100 will be taken for off list nominations. There are already 700 Nominations approved which will also be deducted from this number. Once the quotas are filled by visa grants it is not yet know what will happen to the applications which have not been finalized in that Financial Year i.e. whether they will be queued and carried forward to the next financial year or caped and ceased.

Hope this helps.

Suzanne

• Like 1

Guest Lankan1
Hi Guys

I have just heard from our migration agent regarding the SMP's and numbers for ACT:

Having attended the MIA National Conference on Friday, the States are hoping they will be released before the end of this year.

The ACT has 1750 places available under the new SMP, of this number 100 will be taken for off list nominations. There are already 700 Nominations approved which will also be deducted from this number. Once the quotas are filled by visa grants it is not yet know what will happen to the applications which have not been finalized in that Financial Year i.e. whether they will be queued and carried forward to the next financial year or caped and ceased.

Hope this helps.

Suzanne

In that case some people are so lucky to obtain a SS after 31st June. Some states ACT, NSW etc already offering such based on SOL schedule 3 & recently SA started offering the same based on interim list which is also based on Schedule 3.

According to your numbers, If particular state lets say ACT quota is for both SMP & SS by the time SMP released the quota will be over :cry: what will happen to people like us :arghh: After waiting this long for this SMP thing our applications will be just carried out to next year :mad:

Unfortunately the Minister did not use his opportunity on Friday to announce the SMPs at the MIA National Conference, but some information about developments is now available.

The starting point is the table of planning levels at Migration Program Statistics - Statistics - Publications, Research & Statistics . There will be 61,700 general skilled migration visa grants in 2010/11. Of these, 23,000 are allocated to state sponsored migration and 35,200 to skilled independent applicants. A further 3,500 people are anticipated under the family sponsored stream.

Talking to states and DIAC people at the conference it seems that the 23,000 planning level on state sponsorship is effectively a cap, ie if they can't reach you in the current program year then it will need to be the next one, or the one after that. This will be made more complex by planning levels for particular occupations in particular state migration plans.

Anecdotally, some states are already highly oversubscribed even though the number of state sponsored visas available has increased dramatically. This may mean that a longer wait is involved for most of those seeking state sponsorship. There are of course already longer waits for everyone else and this form of management may at least allow some sort of orderly progression for all those who fit within DIAC priority groups 1, 2 and 3. Priority groups are explained at http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/priority-processing-14-july-2010.pdf . For priority group 4, although there is an allocation under the GSM program for family sponsored cases, it's hard to see that the specified allocation will make much of an impact as there are as many as 40,000 applicants in this group.

On the timing of the GSMs it seems that 1 November is a popular choice but there are still those who expect it earlier. DIAC of course can't say anything on this.

More to come I hope.

Cheers,

George Lombard

George

I am 496 visa applicant cat 4. Is there a chance however slim that these 3500 family sponsored category who will be processed could include my category of applicant.

Regards

Rahul

Hi Guys

Hope this helps.

Suzanne

Thanks for posting this Suzanne. Sorry if I am being daft but does the 700 nominations approved mean sponsored applicants (like you, me, ozzieland, etc.) and not 700 off-list nominations approved? What is your take on this.

I am inclined to believe the 700 means already sponsored and not 700 off-list but I can't help wondering if I am reading this right.

If this is the case then good news for us if they have 1750 places and only 700 already sponsored.

Thanks

Claire

Hi shane,

That would be interesting to know whether these 700 applicants apply to both cat 3 and cat 4!

I wouldn't be shocked of anything that DIAC do now. We have all seen a lot over the last 12-18 months!

Hi shane,

That would be interesting to know whether these 700 applicants apply to both cat 3 and cat 4!

I wouldn't be shocked of anything that DIAC do now. We have all seen a lot over the last 12-18 months!

It must do thinking about it more. I am cat 3 and sponsored and suzanne is cat 4 and sponsored, both of us by the ACT. We don't have an agent anymore so have not received any comms from them.

So it does seem that we are included in the 700 already nominated / sponsored? More confusion....

Claire

It must do thinking about it more. I am cat 3 and sponsored and suzanne is cat 4 and sponsored, both of us by the ACT. We don't have an agent anymore so have not received any comms from them.

So it does seem that we are included in the 700 already nominated / sponsored? More confusion....

Claire

Hi Claire

700 seems a big figuer for off list and states have coninuosly said they will push for all SS applicants to be included.

A glimmer of hope ?:wacko:

Hi Claire

700 seems a big figuer for off list and states have coninuosly said they will push for all SS applicants to be included.

A glimmer of hope ?:wacko:

I agree. 700 for off-list seem too much so it must be the ones they have already sponsored (whether Cat3 or Cat4). If this is the way the ACT are doing it then let's hoep all the other states follow the same procedure, giving hope to Cat4 peeps with SS.

At the end of the day the states sponsored people because they need them, whether they are 3 or 4. They may be much stricter in the future with new apps (i.e. only taking on SOL Sched 3 people) but the ones already in the system met the requirements at the time they applied, so this should be honoured.

Cheers

Claire

Fingers crossed