ACS - negative assessment

Guest pingunootnoot

Guest pingunootnoot

Hi everyone,

Just received news from our agent that our acs application has been unsuccessful with the nominated occupation of ICT Business Analyst. Apparently we meet the qualification requirements no problem, but it's how they've calculated our employment experience against the occupation.

Is it possible to apply for a review, and nominate an alternate IT occupation? Has anyone been or is going through a similar situation?

Any advice would be of great help. Cheers.

Guest demoiree

Hi,

Can you specify what ACS group you applied(e.g group c = Australia Recent graduate), how many years of experiences you have in IT?

we need some details to answer to your query

Cheers,

Hi everyone,

Just received news from our agent that our acs application has been unsuccessful with the nominated occupation of ICT Business Analyst. Apparently we meet the qualification requirements no problem, but it's how they've calculated our employment experience against the occupation.

Is it possible to apply for a review, and nominate an alternate IT occupation? Has anyone been or is going through a similar situation?

Any advice would be of great help. Cheers.

i heard acs is rejecting alot of people on the business analyst code, and this because many people are making mistakes

remember degrees with little ict content or vender cert require 6 years

if you have a computer science degree you are require to have 4 to 5 years

rare cases they require they require a degree and 5 years experience:eek:

I recieved BA code, and i had a computer science degree with 9 years of it experiecen, with 6 years ba experience. :mad:

Did you look at the ba skills sheet before applying?

i heard acs is rejecting alot of people on the business analyst code, and this because many people are making mistakes

Did you look at the ba skills sheet before applying?

Where do they have such a sheet published UFO ?

Can you please share the link - thanks ?

Where do they have such a sheet published UFO ?

Can you please share the link - thanks ?

Occupation Descriptions -

Business and Systems analyst:

1220.0 - ANZSCO - Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, First Edition, Revision 1

Analyst Programmer, Developer Programmer, Software Engineer:

1220.0 - ANZSCO - Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, First Edition, Revision 1

cheers

How long did the ACS reckon that you've been working as a BA for?

If it's a matter of having three and a half years' experience, rather than four, then the simplest solution might be to wait for a few more months until you hit the criteria.

The ACS tend to nominate an occupation based on what you've been doing, rather than necessarily being what you put on the application form. It might be worth asking whether you'd meet the criteria for a different one, but unless you were working solidly as (say) a developer for four or five years before switching to a BA, you might not have much luck.

Guest pingunootnoot

As per the letter, "You have been assessed as meeting the qualification requirements for Group B of the ACS PIM 3, but do not satisfy the requirements for professional information technology experience of six (6) years in a field closely related to the skill occupation indicated that you intend to nominate in a General Skilled Migration application"

The work experience they calculated in total was 4 years.

Our agent's trying to contact the Assessor to see as to why the rest of the experience was not assessed, and to see which occupation would be a better fit to get reassessed to.

So I guess if no other occupation fits, then the absolute last option is to wait and gain another 2 years of experience :mad:

From what I remember of the ACS assessment, they are very strict on working hours, gaps between jobs and that sort of thing. If anything they err on the side of caution.

I don't know your background, but I'm guessing that you've got at least six years experience in IT, and have spent it in a mixture of software development and BA roles. It could be that the ACS believes that there's little commonality between these.

An appeal might be worth a shot, but if there's a two year discrepancy then it might not be successful.

Edit: Would it be worth you approaching the ACS or engaging in a dialogue with them rather than your agent? Both you and the ACS are in the IT business, and will know a lot more about it than a third party who's probably never worked in it.

Yes, I know that every migration agent on PiO will disagree with my suggestion.

From what I remember of the ACS assessment, they are very strict on working hours, gaps between jobs and that sort of thing. If anything they err on the side of caution.

I don't know your background, but I'm guessing that you've got at least six years experience in IT, and have spent it in a mixture of software development and BA roles. It could be that the ACS believes that there's little commonality between these.

An appeal might be worth a shot, but if there's a two year discrepancy then it might not be successful.

Edit: Would it be worth you approaching the ACS or engaging in a dialogue with them rather than your agent? Both you and the ACS are in the IT business, and will know a lot more about it than a third party who's probably never worked in it.

Yes, I know that every migration agent on PiO will disagree with my suggestion.

You are right; i spoke to mara agent back in MArch he said a DBA could get a systems analyst assessement and so. Many agents do not know IT or the roles:wacko:

Guest pingunootnoot

We had put in a chunk of experience but since one of the previous companies is back home and they don't give out reference letters as per company policy, we had to do a statutory declaration. Do you know if ACS does not count any experience given with a stat. declaration?

Sorry to hear of this situation. Please can you keep this post updated with your appeal progress and the ability to liaise directly with ACS.

Contacting them for advice pre assessment is not possible so I would be very interested to hear how difficult it is once you've been assessed.

Best of luck with the appeal/review process.

ACS assessed you for Group B, i believe that an ACS accessor evaluated yours qualification against for the PIM's group B if you showed up

-Diploma or Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Advanced Diploma with a major in ICT.

or

-An Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Bachelor (undergraduate) degree, or Graduate Diploma, or higher qualification with a minor (sub-major) in ICT in a highly relevant field to the nominated occupation.

You fullfilled the qualifiation for Group B, what ICT related qualification had you put for yours case?

I think 6 years would not be purely for the occupation BA.They counted you for 4 years against the requirment of 5 years.Did you have 5 years of full time expereine for yours nominated occupation (BA)?If you fullfill one more year which comes to 5 from 4 then they assessed you for Group B altogther.

I would suggest to read Group B thoroughly where it is requirment for group B is 5 years of full time professional ICT work experience in a field closely related to the nominated occupation (In Yours Case BA), completed in the ten (10) years before the date of application for Skills Assessment.

Prove yours appeal with one year more to make it 5 from 4 to get Group B successfully.

If you showed MCS degree which solidfy to fullfill Group A then 2 years requirment in case of Group A.Here is link for Pasa Guide line which i understand for Group A and B number of experiences.

For Group A (if you have AQF equivlent Bachelor (undergraduate) degree or Graduate Diploma or higher degree level qualification with a major in ICT in a highly relevant field to the nominated occupation) they require 2 years.

For group B (If you have Qualifications Framework (AQF) Diploma or Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Advanced Diploma with a major in ICT, or an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Bachelor (undergraduate) degree, or Graduate Diploma, or higher qualification with a minor (sub-major) in ICT in a highly relevant field to the nominated occupation) then they require 5 years full time.

http://www.acs.org.au/assessment/docs/PASAGuidelinesforApplicants.doc

Graemsay Please shed some light on my that thread ..

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/96796-clear-my-anzsco-confusion.html

• 3 weeks later...

Did you have any success contacting ACS to have this situation reviewed? Did you have to appeal or provide more evidence etc.? Interested to hear how you got on.

Guest Mongobear

I will also try to get re-assessed as a BA but do not know how they calculate the experience. Does "closely related occupation" mean any IT-work (administration, helpdesk ... ) or will it have to be closely related to "Business Analyst".

I mean you have to have done technical work and supportive stuff before you will be a good BA. This is where you gain the experience. Anyone know how the ACS thinks aboput this?

We had put in a chunk of experience but since one of the previous companies is back home and they don't give out reference letters as per company policy, we had to do a statutory declaration. Do you know if ACS does not count any experience given with a stat. declaration?

The company I work for is the same, they do not give out references - only details of length of employment.

ACS accepted the above letterheaded length of employment and a personal reference from my Line Manager, with his printed business card attached. I was accessed as a Systems Analyst.

Could you get this?

Archived