Becoming a midwife in australia, without previously been a nurse

Sanders

Hi Everyone

I am seriously hoping someone can help me with this.....

Me and my family already have our state sponsored visa, on my partners quals.

We were lookin to be movng this year , i decided last year that i would like to change my career path so the situation really is do i train here in the uk or wait til i am in australia.

I have already passed an access programme which is equivalent to a levels but not sure if this is accepted in australia????

I have tried to contact a couple of universitys in oz however the reply i have had is i need to apply before they will advise on my qualifications etc.

ALso does anyone know a rough costing of training to be a midwife in australia??

Thank you in advance for any help!!!

Hi,

I am currently in my second year training as a midwife, I was never a nurse and also got in via my access.

Not sure is Oz takes the access course as i have never looked into this, but I did look at training my final year in oz. Felt it would be good as get to know the system over there and also build up some contacts so hopefully be able to get a job when finished.

Not sure what visa you are on but if not PR then very expensive, think it was around $25,000 per year for international students!

There is a link below re another post I answered this is for nursing in Queensland (sorry not sure where you are wanting to go ) but if you look on the website they also do midwifery.

I am now staying in the UK until I have finished and then hoping to get a grad midwifery place for 1 year, which is like what we do here.

Good luck if you need any more info/help just ask.

Tina x

Bachelor of Nursing - Courses and Programs - The University of Queensland, Australia

• 2 months later...
Guest murphmk

Hi Family of five,

I have just joined the forum today. I am also a direct entry second year student midwife. I was hoping to pick your brains in the hope that you can help me navigate the forum efficiently. Is it possible for us to get jobs in oz as a newly qualified midwife? or do we need to work for 12 months in the uk first? Ive read conflicting info on other peoples posts. Do you know when the best time is for us to apply for visas etc if this can be done. Do you know what the associated costs would be for the grad programme in oz, if we had visas etc. what is the difference in the visas ive picked up on some people saying they can only get a 457 visa ?

sorry for all the questions!!

Lx

Hi Family of five,

I have just joined the forum today. I am also a direct entry second year student midwife. I was hoping to pick your brains in the hope that you can help me navigate the forum efficiently. Is it possible for us to get jobs in oz as a newly qualified midwife? or do we need to work for 12 months in the uk first? Ive read conflicting info on other peoples posts. Do you know when the best time is for us to apply for visas etc if this can be done. Do you know what the associated costs would be for the grad programme in oz, if we had visas etc. what is the difference in the visas ive picked up on some people saying they can only get a 457 visa ?

sorry for all the questions!!

Lx

HI Murphmk

I read somewhere also that we needed 1 years experince, however got chatting to a couple of midwifes already in Oz who had gone straight out, getting jobs before they had even finished uni. That was in Perth, they also did not go on to the grad programme as from what they said english midwives are highly regarded so not all places expect you to undertake a grad programme.

They got jobs via an expo and one applied via an agency, I have the agency details on my other computer, PM me if you want the details.

The only thing is depending on your age ( Im old ) with out the work experience part of the points you may not quailify for a visa.

Also to have your skills assessment you need to be registered with Oz nmc so need to be quailified, that all has to be done before you can apply for a visa. However if you have a sponsor they sort it out for you.

So my plan is to go on OH visa,(if we can get one on him) hopefully once I finish in the August 2012, then register then start working after xmas.

Better go now, essay due in on monday which still needs alot of work ( phys 3rd stage, the joy )

Any more questions please ask and keep in touch of how you are getting on.

Tina x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mcculloch

Not sure where you want to go but I am planning to study nursing out there...pending visa...as an international student your looking as 20k per annum (adelaide) costs are usually bewteen 18-25k. If you have PR then it is significantly cheaper...im told roughly 3-5k (adelaide). Im not sure about the access course however, when i was researching about my qualifications...as long as you can prove that they are the equivelant as A-levels etc it shouldnt pose a problem. A letter from a high up professional from your college should do it :o)

murphmk...it is quite common for newly qualified nurses etc to be hired from oz well before the completion of their first year. My mum (an itu nurse) emigrated 2 years ago and was shocked at the number shes been told about :o) good news for you! from what i can remember tho this was in WA, SA & North T...

• 2 years later...
HI Murphmk

I read somewhere also that we needed 1 years experince, however got chatting to a couple of midwifes already in Oz who had gone straight out, getting jobs before they had even finished uni. That was in Perth, they also did not go on to the grad programme as from what they said english midwives are highly regarded so not all places expect you to undertake a grad programme.

They got jobs via an expo and one applied via an agency, I have the agency details on my other computer, PM me if you want the details.

The only thing is depending on your age ( Im old ) with out the work experience part of the points you may not quailify for a visa.

Also to have your skills assessment you need to be registered with Oz nmc so need to be quailified, that all has to be done before you can apply for a visa. However if you have a sponsor they sort it out for you.

So my plan is to go on OH visa,(if we can get one on him) hopefully once I finish in the August 2012, then register then start working after xmas.

Better go now, essay due in on monday which still needs alot of work ( phys 3rd stage, the joy )

Any more questions please ask and keep in touch of how you are getting on.

Tina x

Hello Tina

I realise this is an old post, so hope you're still on the site. I am due to qualify as a midwife in August and was wondering if you could let me know the agency or expo that your contacts for jobs through? (Tried to Private message you - couldn't work out how!)

Thanks

Emma