457 and medicare

twinkletoes35

You have to pay for private health insurance on a 457 visa:

Health insurance

From 14 September 2009, under visa Condition 8501, all new Subclass 457 visa holders are responsible for all health costs for themselves and their family. They will be required by law to maintain adequate insurance for these health costs for the length of their visa. Applicants for Subclass 457 visas will need to provide evidence that they have obtained adequate insurance before their visa can be granted.

Temporary Business (Long Stay) – Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)

Hi All

Think we were advised needed adequate healthcare cover for visa to be issued.....which we arranged. Think we were then told could apply for Medicare once in Australia and cancel private cover.

Is that not the case?

Would appreciate any advice

The Australian Immigration website says "They will be required by law to maintain adequate insurance for these health costs for the length of their visa." (also in my original post). So it sounds like it would be illegal to cancel your insurance once in Australia!!

Hi Peach

I think it depends which country you are from and if there is a reciprocal health agreement...just checked out the immigration website cos you had me worried that migration agent had given me false information.

You are correct that health insurance is mandatory, however looks like you can use Medicare once you get in Oz as appropriate health cover. Found this on immigration site:

" If you are from a country with a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia, you may be eligible to access Medicare. For further information you should refer to the Medicare Australia website.

See: Medicare Australia – Visitors to Australia

Being enrolled with Medicare under reciprocal health care arrangements is sufficient to meet the health insurance requirement at visa grant and to comply with visa condition 8501.

You can only enrol with Medicare if you are in Australia. If you have enrolled with Medicare you should provide evidence that you have been issued with a Medicare card as part of your application.

If you are overseas, you must arrange adequate insurance for your initial period in Australia and provide evidence of this insurance as part of your application. You may be eligible to then enrol with Medicare once you are in Australia. Being enrolled with Medicare is sufficient to comply with visa condition 8501.

You should also be aware that once you have enrolled with Medicare, you need to contact the Australian Taxation Office to see if you will be subject to the Medicare Levy Surcharge. This might affect the type of health insurance policy you need to maintain while in Australia."

Heres the link: Subclass 457 – Health Insurance

Doesn't say you can cancel private health care though lol!!!

But think it's saying medicare is enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend any good providers for health insurance as part of the 457 process? Have submitted the bulk of my information to the company solicitor for lodging my visa but haven't yet got the confirmation of health insurance.

Thanks

Hi I managed to slip through the net when i was on the 457 so i did not have to pay for health insurance. However, as a PR i now have cover. I would recommend HBA as they seem to be the most reasonable. Medicare only covers you for the public system - so I would definatly recommened getting private health insurance - also ambo cover too. It also reduced you tax levy if your over 30!

Archived