Which other part of the UK would you consider relocating to?

Guest guest30085

Guest guest30085

Say if the chance to emigrate is no longer an option and you did not want to stay in your current immediate area - which part of the UK/Eire would you prefer to be in?

Or for those of you who have returned from Oz/abroad - have you moved to a different area than where you originally lived in the UK/Eire. What are the merits of the new area over where you were previously?

I have travelled to a lot of areas in the UK (mostly through previous jobs or holidays - although all motorways look the same when you are a sales rep :SLEEP:) but have never moved far from where I grew up. I dont think that I will stay here for many more years though and will probably move to another part of the UK if emigration is not an option.

Where are you and where would you rather be if you had to stay in the UK?

Hello,

I was in Leeds for 10 years and loved it. Now I am near London and though its closer to where I was born, it just feels pretty soulless to me. Think I love Yorkshire for lots of reasons but Leeds is a really lovely city and also has gorgeous country side close by so best of both worlds. And I miss the people. Salt of the earth!

The South West, definitely. The climate is pretty mild, the countryside is beautiful and the people are great.

Chris hit the nail on the head, i was in Penzance last weekend, people were so nice and friendly, Its what im used to, sit in a pub and chat away to strangers, but there are no strangers , only new friends. I think in the UK the class system gets in the way of how people should interact with each other. If i was to stay in the UK i would live there, cus i was born with the taste of salt in my mouth and grew up beside the sea. Lovely people and such a lovely place.:hug:

Your post really made me smile - this is exactly the subject we've been discussing ourselves lately - if God forbid we don't get to Oz next year!

I'm from Leicester, husband is from Chester and we moved down to Plymouth with the RN 1.5yrs ago.

*We love the fact you can nip to Cornwall for the day/weekend

*There are fabulous beaches, little villages (and cream teas) in Devon

*Walk on the moors

*The Hoe, Plymouth Sound, The Barbican, the sea!

*45 mins and we're at the Eden project (where we make full use of the years free entry after your 1st gift-aid visit; we almost treat it like going to the park now and when the weather is bad it's so lovely and warm in there)

*only 4hrs drive to see family in Leicester/Chester

The South West pretty much ticks all the boxes for us.

Except the house prices are 20% more and jobs tend to be poorly paid (due to ex-forces requiring work after leaving, employers know they also have a pensionable income). But there are jobs down here if you strike lucky!

Liz x

Guest guest30038

Yep, Cornwall for me. Bridget hails from Millendreath Nr Looe........right on the cliff tops overlooking Banjo pier.

I love Dartmoor........the isolated villages..........the rolling mist over the moors.

We pledged to do the entire coastal walk before we left, and our last summer but one, in the UK (1994) we did just that as we were planning a family and knew that we wouldn't be able to do it later...........everything on our backs and just pitched the tent when we (or the dogs) were knackered.

Ticks all the boxes for me except property prices. Excuse the quality, all scanned from print taken with an old practica camera

Bridget and the dogs on the coastal path:

coastal.jpg

A rest in penzance:

kevndogs.jpg

Polperro taxi

dray1.jpg

Bridget.............pretending that she understands map reading

map.jpg

Forgot the name of this place.........can anyone help?

692655-1-polperro-harbour-cornwall-.jpg

147059-1-dead-calm.jpg

Storm at Lands end with the tourists heading for non-existant cover

lands_end_1.jpg

The seagulls make more mess than the dogs

shed_2.jpg

Yep, Cornwall for me. Bridget hails from Millendreath Nr Looe........right on the cliff tops overlooking Banjo pier.

I love Dartmoor........the isolated villages..........the rolling mist over the moors.

We pledged to do the entire coastal walk before we left, and our last summer but one, in the UK (1994) we did just that as we were planning a family and knew that we wouldn't be able to do it later...........everything on our backs and just pitched the tent when we (or the dogs) were knackered.

Ticks all the boxes for me except property prices. Excuse the quality, all scanned from print taken with an old practica camera

Bridget and the dogs on the coastal path:

A rest in penzance:

Polperro taxi

Bridget.............pretending that she understands map reading

Storm at Lands end with the tourists heading for non-existant cover

The seagulls make more mess than the dogs

Polperro Kev.

Guest guest30038

Polperro Kev.

Yep, you're right. I'm so used to seeing it from this angle from the net shed on the other side.

e6wnudkx.jpg

l34anbha.jpg

kev

Guest guest30038
And the other photo without a caption was just west of Looe with Looe Island centre right

Yep, and the village on the coast towards the horizon would be Downderry?

kev

Funny, me and my husband have always said we would live nowhere else in the UK, we are on the tip of Cornwall (but dare I say thatI don't recognie many of those pictures, how isolated am I??)

We love the lifestyle here and the scenery and it is the best place in the UK to bring up kids. However we want to move to Oz. Mainly because of the opportunities and hopefully a similar lifestyle to where we are. Feels good to know that most people would choose to be where we are :biggrin: if they had to stay here. But on a rainy miserable day like today its not all that great lol

Guest sh7t man no way

id move to cornwall mate--in fact ive got me eye on a little fishing business down there--so who knows--its luverly down there,and the place is remote enough to allow you a very quite lifestyle--the people are a bit insular--but thats not a problem--failing that id move to the lakes--i prefer people from up north there more friendly than the namby pamby southerners (there all snobs you know) --on another note where do the friendliest people live in the uk--for me its newcastle--if you were going to move in the UK i think people play more of a role in your decision than the place:wubclub:liverpools nice --but they talk alot:wideeyed:you cant get a word in:wink:

Guest guest30038
but the photo where you are resting in Penzance is actually Falmouth, just above the docks.

You're right again mate. It was with this batch of photos:

The white dot on the port side is the feller below

dry_dock.jpg

blasting.jpg

Archived