gparkes

Changing to a Vic drivers license

Hi all,

We got our PR granted end of August and wondered how long we get to change our uk licenses to Aus/vic ones??

Also my husband is a lead foot and wondered any of the points from his speeding fines here will be put on the Vic license??

Do they take the UK license from you???

I have heard all sorts of contradicting stories from reading posts so thought i would ask and see what comes up

Gail (29) Tony (41) Olivia (3)

Living in Melbourne since 2007 and love it

:smile:

Guest juliemtaylor

we changed ours over to vic road asap to help with ID and renting etc, easy as. You get 6 months here on PR before you have to get one. We kept our UK ones even though we have not chnged the address in them to a UK address.

Julie x

points dont get transferred, but if he's a bit of a lead foot, dont worry, he'll have plenty in no time.

He'll need to slow down, otherwise he will lose his license before he realizes it.

:wink:

points dont get transferred, but if he's a bit of a lead foot, dont worry, he'll have plenty in no time.

He'll need to slow down, otherwise he will lose his license before he realizes it.

Yep, your telling me nothing i haven't already told him myself, when you spend over $600 in 6 months on speeding fines its no joke!

I am the moaning wife tho and don't get listened to

Gail (29) Tony (41) Olivia (3)

Living in Melbourne since 2007 and love it

:smile:

Guest Toorak Trev
Yep, your telling me nothing i haven't already told him myself, when you spend over $600 in 6 months on speeding fines its no joke!

I am the moaning wife tho and don't get listened to

If the penalty points are earned while in Victoria, they do get transferred across from your UK license to a new Australian.

The vic roads system allocates a unique driver number next too foreign held licenses. When that license is matched ie when you hand it over for verification it transfers.

A young guy just joined us thought it was fun to travel back and forth up the East link at 120km. Each time getting snapped at same 3 cameras same time in morning and afternoon. Now he is in deep trouble because he needs to drive for work.

Guest Les & Woz

Hi we just got our Vic licences. We kept our UK one they don't want that. You can get a 3 year or 10 year one. My husband had a point on his licence for drink driving (nearly 10 years old so due to come off this year) and that not on the new one.

If you have permanent resident visa apparently you don't need to get an ozzie one but it helps with ID etc. Check the vic roads website though to get accurate info.

Good luck x

Guest Les & Woz

Any carpenters living in melbourne close to peninsula who can put on kitchen bench tops. Please contact.

Lesley

If you have permanent resident visa apparently you don't need to get an ozzie one but it helps with ID etc. Check the vic roads website though to get accurate info.

Good luck x

if you have PR you must transfer within 6 months.

If the penalty points are earned while in Victoria, they do get transferred across from your UK license to a new Australian.

The vic roads system allocates a unique driver number next too foreign held licenses. When that license is matched ie when you hand it over for verification it transfers.

QUOTE]

I should have thought about that noticing that they are already in Australia :wink:

yep ALWAYS stick to the speed limits...even though they are ridiculously slow on motorways. My Permanent residency visa arrived yesterday...and so did a fine for $238 for speeding 113k - about 71mph.

yep ALWAYS stick to the speed limits...even though they are ridiculously slow on motorways. My Permanent residency visa arrived yesterday...and so did a fine for $238 for speeding 113k - about 71mph.

congratulations & my commiserations :biggrin:

They dont mess about with the fines do they. :mad:

Guest Popeye

Everyone else has said what is to be said-that's a definate with regards PR, you must change over your license within 6 months. It's straight forward and you can make an appointment at any vic roads office. If you have a HGV license (LGV now i think) you have to do another course and test over here.

Good luck and watch the camera's-they are sods over here for speeding, but saying that they haven't got a clue about how to drive and that's why the speed limit is so low!