You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Pozz

Sat Nav recommendations.

Im set to land in Melbourne next week, and have most things sorted.

Except I need to get a sat nav as I have no sense of direction at all.

In the UK a basic TomTom is £100 and works pretty well. What does a decent sat nav cost over there, and any recommendations?

We have a Tom Tom and it's brilliant. We bought it in the uk & then

downloaded the Australian maps on it & it's never let us down :-)

[url="http://www.move2thecoast.com.au

Personally I have had both Garmin and Tom Tom and find the garmin more reliable. You can pick one up from $99 with 2010 maps. I would definitely be lost without mine.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Hey Pozz i recently relocated to Melbourne from the country (Cobram) and had to get a sat nav as my job involves home visits on occassions. When you get here I would recommend visiting K-Mart or Big W. At both these well known stores you can purcahse good, cheap sat navs. I paid $100 for mine - that was the cheapest but dose me just fine. Also, if you are going to use it at all for work you can claim it back on tax - so just keep the sales docket after buying.

Good luck with the move!! Andy

Hi,

We bought a Tom Tom when we first arrived, but OH has just upgraded to a Garmin nuvi 3760. I think it cost about $400, but it does everything except make a brew!!!

He's really impressed with it and he can link his phone into it and talk when he's driving via the bluetooth???

As you can probably tell, I'm not good with technology....I've now got the Tom Tom and she keeps on sending me to the wrong places!

Steph

xxxx

I have a fairly basic Tomtom One that I've been using for about two years now and it's been very good. It has enough built in memory that, for a recent trip, I had maps for Aus/NZ, The UK and Western Canada USA all loaded at once and still had half the memory free.

You can certainly get that model here for a similar or lower price than the £100 you mention.

Bob

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

-Dorothy Parker

Hi,

We bought a Tom Tom when we first arrived, but OH has just upgraded to a Garmin nuvi 3760. I think it cost about $400, but it does everything except make a brew!!!

He's really impressed with it and he can link his phone into it and talk when he's driving via the bluetooth???

As you can probably tell, I'm not good with technology....I've now got the Tom Tom and she keeps on sending me to the wrong places!

Steph

xxxx

Hi Steph

That was the same problem I had with the Tom Tom, or she would say I was driving on a street which was 4 blocks away.

Kate

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Hi Steph

That was the same problem I had with the Tom Tom, or she would say I was driving on a street which was 4 blocks away.

Kate

:laugh::laugh: I went to Southport on Wednesday for an interview and she kept telling me to turn left, but the road sign clearly said Marina Parade was right!!

I followed her instructions and eventually she found where I was going, she must have shares in diesel!!!

Steph

xxxx

Well amazingly I arrived in Melbourne and asked the fantastic lady from work who collected me where I can buy a cheapish sat nav..... she replied 'we have got you one so dont worry'!!

After a few days of driving in Oz I can say that if you are coming over definately get one, but make sure you get one that shows the speed limit and your current speed.... the one I have has a camera detector too which is also recommended!

I have been so busy looking at the traffic that im not checking the speedo, and often im creeping over the limit. They are hot on speeders..... so be warned!

After a few days of driving in Oz I can say that if you are coming over definately get one, but make sure you get one that shows the speed limit and your current speed.... the one I have has a camera detector too which is also recommended!

Good advice. It's worth noting that down here (well, in Qld at least) they do NOT give you the 10% that used to be the norm in the UK. My wife got ticketed for 102 in a 100 zone--on an open, empty highway.

Bob

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

-Dorothy Parker