Australia, Money versus Happiness (Possibly)

Guest guest37336

Guest guest37336

Morning/Evening All.

Couple of threads recently have concerned the possible detriment to financial security if the big move to Australia is made. Some if not most people on PIO have worked their backsides off to get where they are today, and in that respect some of you have pensions to look forward to, and fair play to you all if you are in this position.

After all, if you have slogged away all your life you deserve to be rewarded at retirement with a comfortable pension and the lifestyle that brings. (This is of course if your pensions are safe and haven't been whittles away by the recession and bad management).

But then all of a sudden Australia comes into the equation. Just why Australia now features in your thoughts is as individual as you are, but someway along the lone thoughts of Australia have entered your thoughts and you realise there may be a possibility to live out there.

Some miss family that are already in Australia, some just go for the adventure, but from what I have read the vast majority of people go because they think/hope it will offer them more than the UK can and ultimately make you more HAPPY.

So we now have this situation, do you give up your jobs, house, family, etc in this country BECAUSE you are not truly happy or do you hang on for grim death and stay in this country because at the moment you are fairly secure monetary wise.

I have never been one to put a lot of store on money, as long as I have enough to pay the bills, help the kids out, and go out once a fortnight, then I am as happy as Larry. But at the end of the day what I am trying to say is that money can never bring about happiness in the UK if you are not happy here.

Yep, money can take away a lot of the stress and worry of everyday living but it will NEVER buy you true happiness. So in essence is it worth staying in this country purely for monetary reasons if you will never be truly happy here.

True, you may go to Australia with little except the change in your pocket, maybe not even a job to go to, or on the other hand you may go to Australia very financially secure and a job waiting for you. But at the end of the day, is it truly worth staying in this country if you can not be happy here at the moment.

Far be it of me to say go to Australia, but at the end of the day isn't the whole point of us being on this earth to be as happy as we possibly can, and if Australia 'may' bring that opportunity then why not go for it.

Some will read this post and think I am saying throw it all up in the air and go to Australia, that is NOT what I am saying at all. Just if you are truly not happy in this country then why not go for it.

Yes, it may be the worst thing you have ever done, but you never know, it could be the best decision you have ever made, maybe a little less money, not the house you had in the UK, etc, but if it is a possibility that it may bring you TRUE happiness then I would say go for it.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers Tony:wink:

Well you know our decision mate,i dont think oz makes financial sense to us,NOT if we buy a hse anyway,but were going,hse sale allowing.

Ive never been that materialistic tbh,what ive had ive spent,all i want is a reasonable living,and to not have to work ott hours to achieve that,but if we DO buy in oz then i wont have a lot of disposable income left i wouldnt think,not with a 17 year mtge anyway?

Then again rockola was saying his mates have been offered long term mortgages at my age so i guess i will investigate over there.

We dont want to buy to make £,were just used to having our own place thats all,cant get me swede around living in someone elses property tbh,but i might have to,time will tell.

Pension? i havnt got,by the time i'd stopped gallivanting and looked into it it would have cost big dough weekly,so never bothered,when i stop working jan will just have to roll me into the gutter and tip a cpl of ton of red building sand on me.

We will have a few bob one day,but i hope thats a long way off because its only inheritance,properties etc,so dont want that anytime soon(touchwood).

So yes,we HAVE to try oz,inspite of the fact its not going to make me richer i wouldnt think,no pockets in a shroud an all that,who wants to be the richest bricky in the bone orchard anyway?

Well you know our decision mate,i dont think oz makes financial sense to us,NOT if we buy a hse anyway,but were going,hse sale allowing.

Ive never been that materialistic tbh,what ive had ive spent,all i want is a reasonable living,and to not have to work ott hours to achieve that,but if we DO buy in oz then i wont have a lot of disposable income left i wouldnt think,not with a 17 year mtge anyway?

Then again rockola was saying his mates have been offered long term mortgages at my age so i guess i will investigate over there.

We dont want to buy to make £,were just used to having our own place thats all,cant get me swede around living in someone elses property tbh,but i might have to,time will tell.

Pension? i havnt got,by the time i'd stopped gallivanting and looked into it it would have cost big dough weekly,so never bothered,when i stop working jan will just have to roll me into the gutter and tip a cpl of ton of red building sand on me.

We will have a few bob one day,but i hope thats a long way off because its only inheritance,properties etc,so dont want that anytime soon(touchwood).

So yes,we HAVE to try oz,inspite of the fact its not going to make me richer i wouldnt think,no pockets in a shroud an all that,who wants to be the richest bricky in the bone orchard anyway?

:biglaugh: your posts always make me laugh! Still got my fingers crossed for your house !

Guest siamsusie

dre0664l.jpg

Pabs!! I have a good porch for you guys to live out your later years mate:hug:

dre0664l.jpg

Pabs!! I have a good porch for you guys to live out your later years mate:hug:

Lol,thx susie,jans more of a bouncy castle type of person tbh,the last christening we went to she spent the best part of the night in the bouncy castle with all the kids,she was still in it on her own when the fellah deflated it in the night:yes::rolleyes: