State Migration Plans - Numbers to be limited

George Lombard

State Migration Plan - New Details Released

With the Australian Government election process completed, the State and Territory Government’s are finally releasing some further information regarding their long awaited State Migration Plans.

The South Australian Government is the first of the States to give Australian visa applicants some certainty regarding their State Migration Plan. They have released details of the new sponsorship process, criteria and the much anticipated list of occupations for which they intend to sponsor under their State Migration Plan. Significantly, the South Australian Government has announced that they are now accepting and processing new State Sponsorship applications for those occupations which will be included on their State Migration Plan.

The South Australian Government has also indicated that there will be a cap on the number of applicants sponsored for each occupation and that once sponsorship is approved it will only be valid for 30 days. This means that applicants must prepare and lodge their Australian visa application within 30 days of receiving their State Sponsorship approval. Given the limited number of places available for each occupation on their State Migration Plan, visa applicants who delay making their Sponsorship applications in the hope that their occupation will be included on other State or Territory Government State Migration Plans risk missing out altogether.

Being the first of the State Governments to release details of the State Migration Plan occupations available for State Sponsorship will no doubt give South Australia first pick of the most promising Australian visa applicants. Unlike other Australian States taking sponsorship applications, South Australia has confirmed which of the Schedule 3 occupations they will sponsor for under their State Migration Plan.

Applicants whose occupation is not included on the South Australian Government sponsorship list may still seek South Australian sponsorship after the implementation of their State Migration Plan at which time they will also be able to accept off list nomination applications.

The Tasmanian Government has also assisted applicants by indicating which occupations are likely to be included in their State Migration Plan. It is expected that Tasmania’s Government State Migration Plan list will be limited to medical, engineering and some technical trades, mirroring those occupations currently in demand in the State. The Tasmanian Government has indicated that they may also be willing to sponsor for further occupations using their Off List nominations where an applicant is able to demonstrate a job offer in Tasmania.

The Victorian Government State Migration Plan still appears to be some time away from release. The advice on their website now provides that the State Migration Plan details will not be available before at least 18 October 2010, while the remaining State and Territory Government’s have provided no further State Migration Plan updates as at 29 Setember 2010.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lankan1

Hi Eric

Think "Northern Territory," I suggest. The staff who run DBERD in the NT always seem to be pathetically grateful that any migrant might be willing to consider the NT at all (whereas I think that the NT is Australia's best kept secret and I can't imagine why 99% of prospective migrants all seem to want to head for Burbsville in anywhere except the northern half of Australia.)

Who knows? Unexpected popularity could prove to be one of the effects of the NT's SMP!

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

What do you mean by "NT is Australia's best kept secret" ??? May be best for certain occupations such as mining, but not at all good for IT people :(

Hi all,

We are sponsored by the ACT but have not yet received this email. However I am wondering whether they are sending this to just their ACT sponsored prior to a certain date? Say those who lodged 2008 / 2009?

We got our ACT SS in July this year and they spent ages checking our employability with the IT industry, etc. and we did our Commitment to Canberra statement which was very detailed and well researched.

I don't suppose anyone really knows the answer but it would be good to know the dates ACT SS was lodged / granted for those who do receive the email and those that don't.

PS - thanks George for this useful info once again

Ta

claire

Hi Claire,we got our 176 ACT SS 18th Sept 2010 and sent off our Online Application to The DIAC Sept 20th 2010 and our attached documents as they requested,I phoned The DIAC a few day's ago, as when I log on to check my application it does not look as if they have been received by them? when I phoned they told me they had received them, but it can take up to 12 months to get a Case Officer allocated. They advised me not to get our Medicals,etc until we have been asked for them to be done by themselves, as they only last for 12 months!!!!

Hope this helps people who like us are in the Dark, without a Light?

Steve.

We have, definitely no email yet. We are going to email to check this weekend so they get it for Monday.

Ta

Claire

Hi, we sent them a mail last night to find out why we had not received the email and they replied this morning.

Basically we didn't get the email because our ACT SS was only just granted in July 2010 and they say we do not need to re-confirm our intention and therefore no action is required from us.

Cheers

Claire

Hi, we sent them a mail last night to find out why we had not received the email and they replied this morning.

Basically we didn't get the email because our ACT SS was only just granted in July 2010 and they say we do not need to re-confirm our intention and therefore no action is required from us.

Cheers

Claire

That's interesting! If they're not asking you for the job research part of it, do you think that means they are placing more emphasis on us reconfirming rather than job opportunities? Or more likely because you have had SS granted so recently that they must know themselves that there are opportunities for you (otherwise they may not have granted it)?

That's interesting! If they're not asking you for the job research part of it, do you think that means they are placing more emphasis on us reconfirming rather than job opportunities? Or more likely because you have had SS granted so recently that they must know themselves that there are opportunities for you (otherwise they may not have granted it)?

Hi Lavender

I don't know what they are placing more emphasis on, perhaps both.

We applied for our SS in April 2010 and because we our occupation was IT we had to have our "employability" assessed by an independent IT panel and it took ages and ages. We chased up the whereabouts of our SS twice with ACT over a period of a month and each time they said our app was still with the IT review panel. We were getting worried because others who had applied after us were getting their SS granted and we felt like ours was taking ages, but it was because of the independent IT panel and not ACT taking the time.

Also, our occupation is now one of the very few IT ones on the new SOL schedule 3 (compared to previously) so perhaps that is why also.

Cheers

Claire

Hi Lavender

I don't know what they are placing more emphasis on, perhaps both.

We applied for our SS in April 2010 and because we our occupation was IT we had to have our "employability" assessed by an independent IT panel and it took ages and ages. We chased up the whereabouts of our SS twice with ACT over a period of a month and each time they said our app was still with the IT review panel. We were getting worried because others who had applied after us were getting their SS granted and we felt like ours was taking ages, but it was because of the independent IT panel and not ACT taking the time.

Also, our occupation is now one of the very few IT ones on the new SOL schedule 3 (compared to previously) so perhaps that is why also.

Cheers

Claire

Oh I didnt know that ACT has independent IT panel ... it means they had reviewd my application too .... Thanks Claire for the info

just for the info about the email sent by ACT regarding to reconfirmation of SS ... wana share that, received that email from ACT on 28th Sep. .. submitted my reply to my agent. let see when he will send it to ACT ... lets hope for the best ....

I am little bit worried now. i dont know why australia is doing this but after one year of applicaion they still want to know about our commitments .... ACT asked me about JOB PROSPECTS ... come on guys they have got several orgnization who provide them data based upon the market needs of each profession .... IMO states are just passing time, so that no one can push them to release SMP early ... v clever indeed .. lets hope for the best and Good luck to all of u

Oh I didnt know that ACT has independent IT panel ... it means they had reviewd my application too .... Thanks Claire for the info

just for the info about the email sent by ACT regarding to reconfirmation of SS ... wana share that, received that email from ACT on 28th Sep. .. submitted my reply to my agent. let see when he will send it to ACT ... lets hope for the best ....

I am little bit worried now. i dont know why australia is doing this but after one year of applicaion they still want to know about our commitments .... ACT asked me about JOB PROSPECTS ... come on guys they have got several orgnization who provide them data based upon the market needs of each profession .... IMO states are just passing time, so that no one can push them to release SMP early ... v clever indeed .. lets hope for the best and Good luck to all of u

Actually I don't know if it is independent after just checking emails from a few months back. We chased mid May as they told us it was with an "ICT review panel" and that it would be look at start of June. We chased again 22 June and were told they had not yet received the comments from the review panel and they would chase them up. We got our SS finally on 15 July.

I can't remember where i saw it but i have a feeling the ICT review panel for IT occupations was a new thing introduced quite recently. If I can find out where I remember seeing that I will let you know.

Ta

Claire

Actually I don't know if it is independent after just checking emails from a few months back. We chased mid May as they told us it was with an "ICT review panel" and that it would be look at start of June. We chased again 22 June and were told they had not yet received the comments from the review panel and they would chase them up. We got our SS finally on 15 July.

I can't remember where i saw it but i have a feeling the ICT review panel for IT occupations was a new thing introduced quite recently. If I can find out where I remember seeing that I will let you know.

Ta

Claire

OK perhaps it wasn't a new thing. I have pregnancy brain at the moment!! This is what i posted on another thread a few months back with the ACT forum section.

Dear Claire,

As your partner’s nominated occupation is a Computer Professional, before processing commences with the application, it has been referred to an ICT industry panel to assessment employability opportunities in the ACT with regard to skills. Processing will commence as soon as we hear back from the panel, which should be early June 2010.

Hope this clears things up.

Ta

Claire

Guest kittymeow
State Migration Plan - New Details Released

With the Australian Government election process completed, the State and Territory Government’s are finally releasing some further information regarding their long awaited State Migration Plans.

The South Australian Government is the first of the States to give Australian visa applicants some certainty regarding their State Migration Plan. They have released details of the new sponsorship process, criteria and the much anticipated list of occupations for which they intend to sponsor under their State Migration Plan. Significantly, the South Australian Government has announced that they are now accepting and processing new State Sponsorship applications for those occupations which will be included on their State Migration Plan.

The South Australian Government has also indicated that there will be a cap on the number of applicants sponsored for each occupation and that once sponsorship is approved it will only be valid for 30 days. This means that applicants must prepare and lodge their Australian visa application within 30 days of receiving their State Sponsorship approval. Given the limited number of places available for each occupation on their State Migration Plan, visa applicants who delay making their Sponsorship applications in the hope that their occupation will be included on other State or Territory Government State Migration Plans risk missing out altogether.

Being the first of the State Governments to release details of the State Migration Plan occupations available for State Sponsorship will no doubt give South Australia first pick of the most promising Australian visa applicants. Unlike other Australian States taking sponsorship applications, South Australia has confirmed which of the Schedule 3 occupations they will sponsor for under their State Migration Plan.

Applicants whose occupation is not included on the South Australian Government sponsorship list may still seek South Australian sponsorship after the implementation of their State Migration Plan at which time they will also be able to accept off list nomination applications.

The Tasmanian Government has also assisted applicants by indicating which occupations are likely to be included in their State Migration Plan. It is expected that Tasmania’s Government State Migration Plan list will be limited to medical, engineering and some technical trades, mirroring those occupations currently in demand in the State. The Tasmanian Government has indicated that they may also be willing to sponsor for further occupations using their Off List nominations where an applicant is able to demonstrate a job offer in Tasmania.

The Victorian Government State Migration Plan still appears to be some time away from release. The advice on their website now provides that the State Migration Plan details will not be available before at least 18 October 2010, while the remaining State and Territory Government’s have provided no further State Migration Plan updates as at 29 Setember 2010.

Thank you for posting this. So far WA has been the most inactive state out of all! Nothing has been communicate since 8 July!:wacko:

Thank you for posting this. So far WA has been the most inactive state out of all! Nothing has been communicate since 8 July!:wacko:

i spoke to wa yesterday in regard to my situation as a hairdresser off the sol she wasent very forthcoming with info, i asked about the rumor previous sponsord applicants would be included and she said that is true they are pushing for that but they dont know wether diac will honour that yet or not,she told me to ring back in three weeks when asked who i should ask for she said everyone will be able to answer then, so i think that end of oct seems about right:arghh:

good luck to everyone

jools x

looking at the 28 days given by ACT to reply for the reconfirmation of commitment, wonder will SMP be out by end of October? once they compiled all the answer from the reconfirmation, they might need to do an analysis based on the result? wonder how long would it takes and will it need to be sent to DIAC?

hmm.. waiting..

looking at the 28 days given by ACT to reply for the reconfirmation of commitment, wonder will SMP be out by end of October? once they compiled all the answer from the reconfirmation, they might need to do an analysis based on the result? wonder how long would it takes and will it need to be sent to DIAC?

hmm.. waiting..

Hi

I think ACT will get an idea after receiving replys from majority. IMO majority will reply them with in few days of reviving that Reconfirmation email ...... they gave 28 days just to check that who want to retain SS. its a good idea to legally kill some applications. i think First week of Nov. or end of Oct will be the SMP Release time ... i hope i m right .... but still no one knows DIAC .....

Guest kittymeow
i spoke to wa yesterday in regard to my situation as a hairdresser off the sol she wasent very forthcoming with info, i asked about the rumor previous sponsord applicants would be included and she said that is true they are pushing for that but they dont know wether diac will honour that yet or not,she told me to ring back in three weeks when asked who i should ask for she said everyone will be able to answer then, so i think that end of oct seems about right:arghh:

good luck to everyone

jools x

isn't it sound too familiar? we're hearing the same thing every month! by then they will tell us next month will be good time to ask again. btw, my agent has a family in Perth. he said he has nowhere to cut hair it's hardly can find saloon there. he will be very surprise if hairdresser is not in SMP. there's big shortage there..

good luck to everyone

jools x

Hi jools123 thanks for posting this, positive news at last we are cat 4 off list ss so like you desperate to be on smp list. Let's hope they keep to the timeline for once x

Guest dragsterwish

good luck to everyone

jools x

Thanks. We can already sense the frustration of WA govt over DIAC's undue delay in approving their SMP. Thus, i wouldn't really fault them for not being able to commit a date to us. But i do appreciate their message to us that they are pushing for sponsored applicants to be in the SMP. That's very re-assuring.

Cheers!:biggrin:

Guest Gollywobbler
Thanks. We can already sense the frustration of WA govt over DIAC's undue delay in approving their SMP. Thus, i wouldn't really fault them for not being able to commit a date to us. But i do appreciate their message to us that they are pushing for sponsored applicants to be in the SMP. That's very re-assuring.

Cheers!:biggrin:

Hi dragsterwish

I suspect that WA is the most independently-minded of all of the State Governments. In 2007, WA was the only State Government that remained staunchly a Coalition Government. The others all sided with Labor originally, though many of them seem to have decided recently that that particular flirtation was not a particularly brainy idea.

My sister has lived in Perth for 30 years now. She is married to an Aussie whose family all come from Perth.

I get the feeling that the people in WA neither know nor care about the problems that Evans claimed that the Eastern States in Oz were experiencing. WA know perfectly well that most of the mineral wealth in Australia is either under WA's dry land or it is under the sea-bed, just offshore from WA. Unemployment is lower than in any other State in Oz and the WA Government predict that around 25,000 extra workers will be needed in the next 5-7 years or so, to cope with retirements and also to cope with the massive Projects that are either already beginning in WA or are poised to start happening pretty soon.

I get the feeling that it is as if Australia were divided into 2 halves, with WA in one half and the rest in the rest. There are a few areas of similarity and overlap between WA and both the NT and SA. Both of those States seem to regard themselves as underdogs, though, whereas WA seem to think that it wouldn't matter to them unduly if the rest of Australia were towed away and either sank or anchored itself somewhere else.

I admire them for their bloody-mindedness. They know that they are the power-house of the Aussie economy and I suspect that they do not allow Canberra to forget it!

Cheers

Gill

good luck to everyone

jools x

Keep those scissor fingers clicking Jools and hang in there :wink:

Shane x

Guest arun123

I do not know when will this wait for SMP will be over and we come to know where do we stand in priority list 2nd or Nowhere .........

hi, all

WA government has updated its website about SMP.

State Migration Plan

5 October 2010

The Government of Western Australia's State Migration Plan is currently with the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship for final sign off. The Plan will introduce the Western Australian Skilled Migration Occupations List.

Details of the State Migration Plan, State Sponsorship criteria and the re-opening of applications for State Sponsorship will be available on the website in the coming weeks.

Keep checking our website for updates on the release of the State Migration Plan.

The Department of Training and Workforce Development - Skilled Migration Western Australia - State Migration Plan

hopefully it could be finalised in the next week~:cute:

hi, all

WA government has updated its website about SMP.

State Migration Plan

5 October 2010

The Government of Western Australia's State Migration Plan is currently with the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship for final sign off. The Plan will introduce the Western Australian Skilled Migration Occupations List.

Details of the State Migration Plan, State Sponsorship criteria and the re-opening of applications for State Sponsorship will be available on the website in the coming weeks.

Keep checking our website for updates on the release of the State Migration Plan.

The Department of Training and Workforce Development - Skilled Migration Western Australia - State Migration Plan

hopefully it could be finalised in the next week~:cute:

wow!! good to know this! to start a sunshine morning :)

Hope ACT would be the same too.. :hug:

Guest katikraza2003

Gud day ppl, Do check the WA website there is some serious update about the SMP..It says SMP would be finalised and state sponsorship for off list would be released in the coming week..Hope for the best...Do check the website frequently

Archived