applying 885 while on bridging visa for 485

Guest Dilemma

Hi Everyone,

I am in a dilemma about applying 885 visa while still on the bridging visa for 485?

My Student visa got expired last month and since I was waiting for my CDR ,I could not apply for 885 visa which I have eligible luckily.Now i have got my CDRv assessed and I want to apply for 885 visa.

Can I apply for 885 while on bridging visa A for 485?

What will happen if I apply now?Someone told me that my bridging visa A will change to bridging visa C which has no work right and travel rights?

Has anyone applied any visa or 885 visa while you were in bridging visa?

Please help me out guys..:confused:.

Hi

I am no expert, however, I had to apply for a 485 until I could get paperwork together, fell through anyway but, so my agent told me that you can apply for any visa whilst on a bridging visa A and remain on it until your other visa is granted as they are taking up to a year to grant the 485.

Like I say I would try and get an agent to double check but as far as mine is concerned that isnt a problem and there was no mention of bridging visa C.

Hope this helps.

Mandy

Guest demoiree

Hi Dilemma,

I was at a similar situation as you and I've applied 485 and applied for 885 while I'm on bridging visa a , currently I'm still holding my bridging visa a , since bridging visa A has a higher value than bridging visa c , so it will be your active bridging visa until the 485 is approved .

Therefore you should not worry until your 485 expires (if your 885 still in processing by the time your 485 expires).

cheers

Hi Everyone,

I am in a dilemma about applying 885 visa while still on the bridging visa for 485?

My Student visa got expired last month and since I was waiting for my CDR ,I could not apply for 885 visa which I have eligible luckily.Now i have got my CDRv assessed and I want to apply for 885 visa.

What will happen if I apply now?Someone told me that my bridging visa A will change to bridging visa C which has no work right and travel rights?

Are you more than 6 months afer you finished your school? Is it more than 28 days after your student visa expired?

If you are within these 2, you can apply for 885. Otherwise you can as them to process your 485 quicker (I was lucky enough and they did it for me).

It is very clear I think what kind of visa you have to have for applying for 885. I don't think BVC is amongs them.

Hi,

to be eligible to apply for 885 you also need to have an eligible visa. Check the immi.gov.au website and the list of all eligible visas for 885. Simply said, if you are a holder of a BVA and you completed your course no more than 6 months immediately before applying for 885 and you were a holder of an eligible student visa in the last 6 months before an application for 885 (all these conditions apply), then you can make a valid application.

Of course, an advice of a RMA is recommended.

Trust this helps.

Alex

Are you more than 6 months afer you finished your school? Is it more than 28 days after your student visa expired?

If you are within these 2, you can apply for 885. Otherwise you can as them to process your 485 quicker (I was lucky enough and they did it for me).

It is very clear I think what kind of visa you have to have for applying for 885. I don't think BVC is amongs them.

Its been 29 days today since my student visa expired.and I finished my course only in august

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot guys.I have 125 points as I live in a regional area. and i finished my course only in august 2010.so I am eligible to apply i think.

Hi Dil,

If it's less than 6 months since you finished your studies, you can apply 885 at any time.

I was in the same situation, and I got my PR already.

FY!

Cheers

Hi Dil,

If it's less than 6 months since you finished your studies, you can apply 885 at any time.

I was in the same situation, and I got my PR already.

FY!

Cheers

hey thanks buddy..I applied:smile:

• 6 months later...
Guest deepakramanath
Hi Dilemma,

I was at a similar situation as you and I've applied 485 and applied for 885 while I'm on bridging visa a , currently I'm still holding my bridging visa a , since bridging visa A has a higher value than bridging visa c , so it will be your active bridging visa until the 485 is approved .

Therefore you should not worry until your 485 expires (if your 885 still in processing by the time your 485 expires).

cheers

Dear Friends,

I recently completed my PhD and I am almost ready to apply for a 885 application. However, I am on Bridging Visa A (BVA). The reason for getting BVA was that when I applied for my previous student visa extension in Jan 2011, my wife was pregnant and she could not get the X-ray done for the visa medicals and hence DIAC put us the BVA until the baby is delivered (some time 1week of July 2011).

Recently, I heard from my friend that if we now apply for 885 having BVA, we would be granted a Bridging visa C (BVC) and this visa does not allow for any work rights.

Since my wife is only sole earner currently, without any work rights, it would be extremely difficult for us and also with a baby on its way.

Kindly let me know how to tackle this situation and people with any similar experiences please suggest me the appropriate way to deal with this.

Thanks

Deepak

Guest deepakramanath
Hi Everyone,

Hi Dilemma,

I recently completed my PhD and I am almost ready to apply for a 885 application. However, I am on Bridging Visa A (BVA). The reason for getting BVA was that when I applied for my previous student visa extension in Jan 2011, my wife was pregnant and she could not get the X-ray done for the visa medicals and hence DIAC put us the BVA until the baby is delivered (some time 1week of July 2011).

Recently, I heard from my friend that if we now apply for 885 having BVA, we would be granted a Bridging visa C (BVC) and this visa does not allow for any work rights.

Since my wife is only sole earner currently, without any work rights, it would be extremely difficult for us and also with a baby on its way.

Kindly let me know how to tackle this situation and suggest me the appropriate way to deal with this.

Guest Dilemma

Hi Deepak

In my situation,I proceeded to apply and I am still on bridging visa A for my 485 application.Technically My 885 application is "not in effect" but, that doesn't mean it is not under process.I would have got BVC if my 885 application came to effect.But with everyone who is applying 885, while on 485 BVA will still remain with BVA for the 485 application.

In your case,I am not really sure if that will be the same as student visa extension is a complete different class to the 485 and 885.

Also,if you get BVC there is a possibility to remove the work restriction.you just have to show that you need to work for living and your bank statement.That can be done in your state immigration office as far as i know.but you wont be able to get BVB if you want to travel.

And I don't think BVC is a common visa they give for students or ex-students.

I think I would wait for the baby even though its confusing.

A professional advise is recommended.

Guest deepakramanath

Hi Dilemma,

Thanks for your message. The problem is I cant wait till the baby is born, because I have already got my PhD and the case office for my pending student visa may not issue student visa extension at all...based on the grounds that I have already finished my degree. Then I would even loose the criteria for applying for PR.

Looking for more posts on this issue...

Cheers

Deepak

Archived