Medicals for non migrating dependants

Guest MarkChris

Guest MarkChris

Hi again,

I have a 12 year old daughter who isn't able to migrate with us as her mum holds the majority of the custody. I have been looking at the medical requirements and I am are a bit confused. Does my daughter need to do a medical and have x-rays done even though she's not migrating? She has recently travelled to Spain.

Cheers

M & C

Yes all dependents have to take and pass medicals, even if they are not moving with you. This is because in the future you might decide to apply to bring her over as a dependent child and DIAC do not wish to split families up so they want to know now if she will pass the medicals.

She will do the child version of the medicals. Not sure why you have mentioned she has travelled to Spain recently? Do you mean she has moved to Spain?

To add to what Pumpkin said, another reason that they ask non-migrating children to do medicals is to stop people circumventing the system. i.e. if you knew your child would fail the medical you could claim he/she wouldn't be migrating, then once your own visa was sorted you could have applied for a child visa (which has a health waiver).

Guest MarkChris

Thank you both for your help. We put Spain in just in case it was relevant- it seems that some countries seen as a higher risk. We were unsure if Spain was one of them. Not many people like having medicals and we had hoped hubby's daughter wouldn't need to have one if she wasn't migrating. I can understand why she needs one though. The other question we have is what if her mother refuses to consent to a medical?

Thank you both for your help. We put Spain in just in case it was relevant- it seems that some countries seen as a higher risk. We were unsure if Spain was one of them. Not many people like having medicals and we had hoped hubby's daughter wouldn't need to have one if she wasn't migrating. I can understand why she needs one though. The other question we have is what if her mother refuses to consent to a medical?

Doesn't your husband have access / responsibility for his daughter? If so, I don't see what right the mother would have to refuse medicals.

Archived