How I watch BBC Iplayer in Australia

ozziepom

Hi,

Thought this may be of help to someone, some technology is involved but I've tried to keep it as simple as possible so non IT folk could maybe get a nerdy friend to help set it up.

Required:

1) A proxy account

2) A games console (I use a PS3 but a Wii, xbox360 or media client should work too)

3) That the games console to be connected to the internet

4) A PC or Mac on the same network as the console

Iplayer (and others) figure out where you are by looking at your IP address, which is given to you by your internet provider and is country specific. Its possible to present a different IP address to them (like one in the UK) by using a 'proxy'. Free proxies are available but none I tried worked very well and I ended up paying US$6 per month for a commercial one, I chose hideIPvpn and its working well but others are available and may be cheaper, as we watch as much on iplayer as we do Foxtel it seems well worth it, I'll pare my foxtel account to the minimum as soon as I can.

So, you have a proxy account, next step is to test iPlayer works through it via your PC (or Mac in my case), install firefox and then add the Foxyproxy extension, configure your UK based proxy account into it and try iPlayer.

Once this is working the next step is to get this working through your TV.

First you need to install a transparent proxy on your PC, I started out using 'SquidMan' which is a graphical frontend to the Squid proxy. Its job is to set up a passthrough to your proxy account, I needed it because although the PS3 can be directly pointed at a proxy it cant supply login/password details to the proxy (I'm now just running Squid on my NAS but thats another story).

Once the transparent proxy is working, (test with foxyproxy from firefox), point your consoles internet connection at the proxy server running on the PC/Mac (or NAS) i.e. the IP address of the PC and the port the proxy is running on.

The console should then be able to play iplayer direct to your TV over the internet, via your local proxy server and your proxy account.

I've been using this for a few weeks now and it works perfectly. I've also started streaming Spotify to my surround sound system but that needs a few more steps too, which I'll go through if anyone is interested (paid software involved).

Hope this hels, feel free to ask questions (and yes, I already know I'm a sad git or worse).

OzP

Hi,

Thought this may be of help to someone, some technology is involved but I've tried to keep it as simple as possible so non IT folk could maybe get a nerdy friend to help set it up.

Required:

1) A proxy account

2) A games console (I use a PS3 but a Wii, xbox360 or media client should work too)

3) That the games console to be connected to the internet

4) A PC or Mac on the same network as the console

Iplayer (and others) figure out where you are by looking at your IP address, which is given to you by your internet provider and is country specific. Its possible to present a different IP address to them (like one in the UK) by using a 'proxy'. Free proxies are available but none I tried worked very well and I ended up paying US$6 per month for a commercial one, I chose hideIPvpn and its working well but others are available and may be cheaper, as we watch as much on iplayer as we do Foxtel it seems well worth it, I'll pare my foxtel account to the minimum as soon as I can.

So, you have a proxy account, next step is to test iPlayer works through it via your PC (or Mac in my case), install firefox and then add the Foxyproxy extension, configure your UK based proxy account into it and try iPlayer.

Once this is working the next step is to get this working through your TV.

First you need to install a transparent proxy on your PC, I started out using 'SquidMan' which is a graphical frontend to the Squid proxy. Its job is to set up a passthrough to your proxy account, I needed it because although the PS3 can be directly pointed at a proxy it cant supply login/password details to the proxy (I'm now just running Squid on my NAS but thats another story).

Once the transparent proxy is working, (test with foxyproxy from firefox), point your consoles internet connection at the proxy server running on the PC/Mac (or NAS) i.e. the IP address of the PC and the port the proxy is running on.

The console should then be able to play iplayer direct to your TV over the internet, via your local proxy server and your proxy account.

I've been using this for a few weeks now and it works perfectly. I've also started streaming Spotify to my surround sound system but that needs a few more steps too, which I'll go through if anyone is interested (paid software involved).

Hope this hels, feel free to ask questions (and yes, I already know I'm a sad git or worse).

OzP

how does your TV recognise it, meaning what is your connection between your PC & TV is it wireless or a cable connection?

how does your TV recognise it, meaning what is your connection between your PC & TV is it wireless or a cable connection?

* TV is connected to the XBOX/PS3 which connected to the home network (and internet).

* Laptop is also connected either wired or wirelessly to home network (and internet).

* XBOX/PS3 is configured to web browse via the Laptop, which is turn connects to iPlayer via a UK proxy.

Hope this helps. :biggrin:

Thanks for that. My laptop has an HDMI outlet. Cant I just connect to the TV with that as I cant quite work out why you would need a Games console if you have a way of connecting the PC to the TV?

JOHN

That would also work fine. I think the what the OP was proposing was for folk who didn't have a HDMI port on their PC, but wanted a workaround to watch iPlayer on their TV.

* TV is connected to the XBOX/PS3 which connected to the home network (and internet).

* Laptop is also connected either wired or wirelessly to home network (and internet).

* XBOX/PS3 is configured to web browse via the Laptop, which is turn connects to iPlayer via a UK proxy.

Another way is to buy a wireless PC to Tv convertor kit. it has a range of about 150 feet

Yep thats right, I use my PS3 as it was connected anyway, via HDMI to by TV, its also connected via an optical cable to my home cinema. For the house network I use powerline adaptors but if your wifi signal is good that would work to (my TV is a fairly long way from the study). This is by no means the only way, just the way I did it with kit I already had lying around :wink:

I also stream HD content from my NAS & get blueray quality movies, I found wifi at any distance cant handle full HD reliably.

That would also work fine. I think the what the OP was proposing was for folk who didn't have a HDMI port on their PC, but wanted a workaround to watch iPlayer on their TV.

I could connect my laptop directly to the TV but using a console or media client means its always available, no plugging/unplugging and can be controlled with a remote. iPlayer is pretty much like another TV channel on this setup.

The main point of the post though was to cover getting access to iPlayer when not in the UK, rather than what to play it on.

Boohoohoo! My crappy wireless 'broadband' is too slow for this! I HATE TELSTRA!!!

Yeah, its probably not the best on wireless broadband - and I should mention to keep an eye on your data usage if watching iPlayer online, I think its very roughly 700 meg an hour, even if wireless has the throughput a 2G/month plan would only allow about 3 hours of watching.

Guest littlesarah
Yeah, its probably not the best on wireless broadband - and I should mention to keep an eye on your data usage if watching iPlayer online, I think its very roughly 700 meg an hour, even if wireless has the throughput a 2G/month plan would only allow about 3 hours of watching.

I'm not really into watching TV that much, so it's not a major deal. I listen to the radio shows at work, which is the main thing for me - I need something that will distract me enough not to get bored (short attention span!) but not so much as to impede progress!

It's just the principle of the whole internet thing that really bugs me. I live less than 2 hours from Sydney, and the suburb down the road get broadband, but not us! Every time I see ads for cheap internet it winds me up - we pay through the nose for a crappy service, and then to add insult to injury Telstra send me letters telling me how fab my internet service is, and would I like to pay an extra $20 for another 1GB a month? That would give me an extra GB of data that takes an age to download - how dumb do they think I am?! :chatterbox:

Sorry - think I'd better go make a cuppa and maybe do some work...

Guest guest36762

surely using a proxy which you have to pay for is leaving yourself open if a napster style witch hunt was to occur in the future?

the BBC is starting to cotton on to these proxies and blocking them, turning it into a cat and mouse game, ie new proxies popping up all the time.

surely using a proxy which you have to pay for is leaving yourself open if a napster style witch hunt was to occur in the future?

the BBC is starting to cotton on to these proxies and blocking them, turning it into a cat and mouse game, ie new proxies popping up all the time.

I would gladly pay a license fee if they broadcast it here

I have had the same proxy for 9 months now, not a problem.

• 3 months later...
Guest tomsmith

OzP

Thanks for suggesting this - SUCH a good idea.. but I am having some troubles getting this working... any chance you can assist? I know it's not your job but would love some help though :)

I have a Mac, PS3 and an Internet connection.

I have a proxy that works fine (checked via the Opera browser so I know it is working and iplayer is playing fine) - so now want my PS3 to connect to my MAC on the same wireless network connection.

I installed Squidman

Parent Tab:

Use a Parent Proxy Server (checked) - entered in the information for the paid UK proxy and ticked Parent requires information. Entered the username/password for paid proxy.

General Tab:

HTTP Port: I put in 8080

and Visible Hostname: 100.100.100.100

(NO idea if this is correct.. thought I would have a simple to remember number to connect to)

Saved. Squidman says it connects fine and runs.

Then using FoxyProxy:

I clicked ADD NEW PROXY and Entered into it:

Manual Proxy Configuration

Host or IP Address 100.100.100.100 and the port 8080

And ticked SOCKS proxy

in the GENERAL tab I entered

Proxy Name 100.100.100.100:8080

and the dropdown it says "Use proxy "100.100.100.100:8080: for all URLs

But when I try it on Firefox, it doesn't connect... have I totally go the wrong end of the stick for this?

I'm now using a NAS as a proxy server as its always on, however I just fired up squidman and its set up with the following...

General:

HTTP Port: 8080

Visible name : iMac-Squid

Cache size: Off

(others default)

Parent:

(login details for my VPN account and username/pw)

Clients *THIS MAY BE THE BIT YOU NEED*

Provide proxy services for

192.168.1.0/24 (or your local LAN IP range in CIDR notation)

Direct

Don't use proxy for these hostnames/domains

192.168.1.0/24

In FoxyProxy...

Create a new entry.

Manual config

IP: 127.0.0.1 - ***READING THRU THIS IS PROB THE ISSUE AS THIS MEANS LOCALHOST***

***When you come to set up the PS3 you put the IP of the Mac in and the same port above e.g. 8080***

Port: 8080

Socks v5

In the General tab I just called it "Local Squid Proxy" but thats just a name

I just ran all this up, tested with speedtest.net and it thinks firefox is in the UK (I'm now using Chrome and as I said squid is running on my Nas).

I think the problem you're having may be using an IP address as the visible name (no harm there) but then pointing foxyproxy at that IP, it needs to talk to the local server - the easiest way to do this is via localhost on the reserved loopback address of 127.0.0.1

Let me know how this works out for you.

Regards,

Mike

P.S. feel free to ask any questions, I'll be around for an hour or two

Guest tomsmith

Brilliant! THANK YOU... the first bit now works - I can connect with Squidman and FoxyProxy fine.. it works for sure

So now I need to input the details on my PS3 - I am on the same Wireless network - how do I find the IP address of this mac?

Then, as you said, use the port 8080.....correct?

Manual config

IP: 127.0.0.1 - ***READING THRU THIS IS PROB THE ISSUE AS THIS MEANS LOCALHOST***

***When you come to set up the PS3 you put the IP of the Mac in and the same port above e.g. 8080***

Do you mean there, instead of 127.0.0.1 - I find the IP of my mac and put that in... eg: 123.422.12.12 instead of 127.0.0.1?

Guest tomsmith

An update: Spent a few hours and got it working on the PS3! It works on my home network connection fine, but it's a bit slow.... compared to the network connection I get from the apartment block.. but the problem with that one is I can connect in FoxyProxy when it's set to "localhost" but when I put the IP address of my computer in (what the PS3 would need) it refuses the conncetion.

An update: Spent a few hours and got it working on the PS3! It works on my home network connection fine, but it's a bit slow.... compared to the network connection I get from the apartment block.. but the problem with that one is I can connect in FoxyProxy when it's set to "localhost" but when I put the IP address of my computer in (what the PS3 would need) it refuses the conncetion.

The PS3 should have the IP of your mac and the port the from squidman. Foxyproxy should have 127.0.0.1 (or localhost would prob work) and also the port. The PS3 connects to the proxy across the LAN, foxyproxy connects via the loopback interface and never gets sent across the physical network as its running on the same server as the proxy daemon. If you mean its slow in that it takes a long time to start playing with the spinning circle I get that too, I think its that the PS3 buffers quite a bit of data before it starts playing. Your local network has likely got a lot more bandwidth than your internet connection.

Guest guest32776
Boohoohoo! My crappy wireless 'broadband' is too slow for this! I HATE TELSTRA!!!

Absolutely! Telstra are to telecommunications what the ZX spectrum was to computing :goofy: