register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

connaust

Australia the Lucky Country without Meaningful Debate

Australia the Lucky Country without Meaningful Debate

Lucky Country a land of myths. THE policy debate is dominated by some monster lies and old-fashioned bogeymen.

IT is a cathartic experience announcing your looming retirement, as I did this month. Having spent 21 of my 44 years as a dreaded lobbyist for the tourism, transport, property and infrastructure sectors, I decided it was time to step off the stage for a while.

Declaring your innings temporarily over brings with it a liberated perspective. This is lubricated by the experience the nation has been through in our federal election and its aftermath. I want now to reflect on some pressing issues facing the nation and tackle some of the myths that dominate economic and social public policy debate.

► We can’t afford a big Australia. Wrong. The most depressing, and dishonest, argument permeating politics is that Australia is unable to cope with population growth, and it’s one that has forged a coalition of the far-Left and far-Right.

We are a smart nation, blessed with a magnificent natural and human capacity and, with investment in urban and regional infrastructure, we can sustain a bigger population. Young, migrant nations such as ours are growing or they are shrinking. There is no in-between status.

Traffic congestion and social division are genuine considerations and we do need some limits on growth, but we cannot allow poor planning in Sydney and southeast Queensland, or bigotry, to dominate the debate……

Andrew Smith, B. Bus., M. Ed. Web http://www.aiec.hu Blog http://aiecquest.wordpress.com

Guest sceadugenga

I read the article earlier, Brown makes some good points without wasting too much time justifying them.

I don't agree with all of what he says, I've never been keen on public utilities being in the hands of people who's first obligation is to their share holders.

I do not agree with all he says either. Its quite obvious that the average Aus does not want to spend on infrastructure ( let us keep the money in the bank) so no point in having more people. We will shrink, maybe but there are smaller countries around that survive.

Until politicians act like politicians and not like people trying to save their jobs nothing will happen.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Guest sceadugenga

The reason they don't spend money on infrastructure Petals, is that we keep electing governments who campaign on tax cuts and reduced spending, which means there ain't no money for infrastructure.

Guest sh7t man no way

a country must grow,and prosper otherwise it dies--infastructer to accomadate this is a must without the correct infastructer,and quality of new people intraduced to a new country it will eventually slide into decay--the world moves quickly,and your country must invest to take advantage of this:wubclub:

Fraid it will be decay then, no-one is brave enough to spend a lot of money, look at all the hoo ha about the broadband roll out. Nothing for the future generations, all about the me now generations.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

I agree with article in that too many issues in Australia are attributed to foreigners, immigrants, refugees etc. (there has been a nasty racial agenda simmering away since the Pauline Hanson years, now stoked by both sides of politics) when in fact it is the incompetence of our own governments and elite who are to blame, but they have avoided scrutiny.

Think most Australians agree that money should be spent on infrastructure, transport, regional development etc. but politicians lack political will, and long term vision. Keeping utilities in public hands can mean political interference, and who pays for any losses, taxpayers? Again it is back to governments taking responsibility for establishing and monitoring private ownership to taxpayers advantage, not like many PPPs where assets get sold, then private utilities not brought to task.

The population growth numbers that have been redefined, distorted and projected, mostly to alarm people/voters, are in fact slowing dramatically (heard a projection figure back down to 29 million by 2050....), they are all estimates and change like the wind..... especially when they include temporary visitors whose numbers fluctuate wildy e.g. backpackers, students and 457 temporary workers (but media, racists and politicians don't let that get in the way of an alarmist news story!).

However, if the Australia permanent population shrinks, like Japan, Russia, EU, Greece etc. there will be shortfalls in public funds through smaller tax base, and economic stagnation. Who is going to pay for the looming time bomb of healthcare and pensions (while super system has some years before becoming an effective cushion for most)? With older pre WWII generation living longer requiring nursing care, pensions and, the huge baby boomer bubble starting to formally retire in 2010, what will we do, nothing?

End of the day, most Australians were immigrants directly or indirectly, and have made this country what it is (or isn't), I am not sure why people (especially recent immigrants) now demand that immigration should be cut or stopped? Try telling that to people in particular Australian regions or cities where they are in need of young people,with skills and a strong desire to get ahead.... just shut Australia off from the rest of the world?

After that the next logical step is that we then demand that all one million odd Australian residents and citizens working and living offshore better come back now or they will not be let back in? But then population growth will take off dramatically creating even more problems? Maybe start extending the citizenship test to ethnicity tests? Slippery slope.....

That's my essay of the week :biggrin:

Andrew Smith, B. Bus., M. Ed. Web http://www.aiec.hu Blog http://aiecquest.wordpress.com