UK National Lottery in Australia

ozziepom

Hi,

I've still got my UK Lottery online account being paid by Direct Debit, and today I got the "you've won a prize" email. I can't log into the account at the moment, because it says "we think you're abroad (no kidding)".

Since I have a UK VPN account accessible from home (not work!!) that I use for watching iPlayer and playing Spotify I will be able to log in later but does anyone know the legal position of playing the Nat Lottery while living in Australia, not much point paying them if they're not going to pay out if I ever get a decent win?

Thanks,

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

If you live in Australia, you cannot play the UK national Lottery. so if you have won a big prize, jump on a plane and claim it from the UK:wink:

• 10 months later...
Guest Roxade

Hi there,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've been playing the UK Lottery online for just over 6 years now (outside of the UK) and I've won quite a few times! Not once have I had a problem receiving my winnings.

But it says this on the National Lottery website

Can I play while overseas?

No, to play UK National Lottery games online, you must be a resident of the UK or Isle of Man at all times. You must also be physically located in the UK or Isle of Man when buying a ticket or when setting up or amending a Direct Debit Account, including changing your numbers and payment details.

If you do not meet these requirements, any ticket purchases you make will be declared invalid and no prizes paid, and we will have the right to reclaim any prizes already paid under these circumstances.

Can definitely confirm that you will not get the money if you win a large amount on the UK lottery. My husband knows of someone in the Army based in Germany who won a large amount and he was unable to claim it even though he only lives in Germany because the Army have posted him there he still pays UK tax, council tax, and can obviously die for his country yet he is not allowed to play the lottery... sorry can you tell I find that a tad frustrating.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be loophole somewhere but not sure where... can someone in the UK log onto your account and see how much you have won?

HTH

Nicki

Guest Hatton
Can definitely confirm that you will not get the money if you win a large amount on the UK lottery. My husband knows of someone in the Army based in Germany who won a large amount and he was unable to claim it even though he only lives in Germany because the Army have posted him there he still pays UK tax, council tax, and can obviously die for his country yet he is not allowed to play the lottery... sorry can you tell I find that a tad frustrating.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be loophole somewhere but not sure where... can someone in the UK log onto your account and see how much you have won?

HTH

Nicki

Just found this.

Members of the Armed Forces who are residents of the UK can continue to play the National Lottery by direct debit, as long as they are physically located in the country or Isle of Man when they set up or amend the arrangement – including buying additional tickets or changing their numbers or payment details.

As long as they continue to meet these eligibility requirements, their tickets will be valid while they are posted overseas.

Alternatively, deployed members of the Services can join a syndicate set up and managed by a friend or family member in the UK

Perhaps this was changed because of the situation I mentioned. We know the person was definitely not allowed to claim is winnings of just over £200,000 ish because he was posted in Germany but this was a couple of years ago so maybe they were forced to review it as it did cause an uproar.

You actually have to be in the UK when the draw takes place, if your not you cant claim the prize money.

Does it come up with "accept" or "agree" option at the bottom, when I log on using my phone I have to agree that I'm in the UK not oversea's.

Lynne x

Hi there,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've been playing the UK Lottery online for just over 6 years now (outside of the UK) and I've won quite a few times! Not once have I had a problem receiving my winnings.

I'm guessing if you've checked the other replies below this you'll know now that isn't supposed to be the done thing :wink: If you are using a VPN to connect and play online then you are playing illegally is my understanding. Using an overseas IP it won't let you log in or anything iirc.

Guest Guest31881
Hi there,

THIS IS A SPAMMING POST AND WE HAVE REMOVED THE LINKS, TAKE NO NOTICE IT WAS A FOREIGN SITE AFTER YOUR MONEY....

The law has not changed, you cannot play the UK lottery if you are not resident with a UK address,

I also have a direct debit UK lotto account which I have left open. But I have changed the account details to Mom's name and address - even though the direct debit funds come out of my UK bank account.

I have won a tenner every now and then, and the money just gets credited to my account.

If I was to win a big one and had to claim it in person, will my strategy work? Can Mom collect, even though the bank account is in my name etc? Or am I wasting my money continuing with the direct debit?

Guest Guest31881

If the Lotto account is in your moms name and address then it is your mom playing the Lotto, I do not think the fact you pay for the ticket matters, if she wins, the big cheque would be in her name.

Archived