SA interim state sponsored occupations list

Guest tomtom

Thanks for the link Tomtom, sadly oh occupation not listed!!! (323214 Metal Machinist) I could cry, yet another blow.

We already have SS from SA, but if this Interim list does reflect the SMP then there is not much chance of us moving from Cat 4 to cat 2..and therefore is this the end of the road?

Really dont know what to do.. maybe oh will need to go on a little trip, in hope of Employer sponsor!

I'm sat in my office, feel crap and just want to go home...

Adele x

Hi Hubbies on interim list for Solid Plasterer for SA. Did not realize that he would have to take the ielts test as you never use to have to sit this for trades. Which is a real blow as my hubbie is dyslexic so I dont think he will pass test. Do you think all states will make trades sit ielts test? If this is the case it looks like we will not be going

Hi Adele

This really sucks but try and not let it get you down too much. We have been at the bottom of the priority list before and now find that we are bumped up to group 3. They are constantly changing things so who knows, next week you could be priority group 2!!! This list is not the SMP and they may add more to that list because I don't think it will be that easy to get the list changed once it is in so there is still hope, keep your chin up!!!!

Jules:hug:

Thanks for the link Tomtom, sadly oh occupation not listed!!! (323214 Metal Machinist) I could cry, yet another blow.

We already have SS from SA, but if this Interim list does reflect the SMP then there is not much chance of us moving from Cat 4 to cat 2..and therefore is this the end of the road?

Really dont know what to do.. maybe oh will need to go on a little trip, in hope of Employer sponsor!

Adele x

Guest Hughescl
Thought this may be of some use to some. immigration sa have a interim state sponsorship list. Maybe this will reflect the long awaited SMP.

General skilled migration :: Make The Move

tomtom

Does anyone know if you need Ilets if you are British? my husband is Carpenter and we didn't think we would need this, but it says 6.5 or higher under most of the trade thx Claire

Hi Hubbies on interim list for Solid Plasterer for SA. Did not realize that he would have to take the ielts test as you never use to have to sit this for trades. Which is a real blow as my hubbie is dyslexic so I dont think he will pass test. Do you think all states will make trades sit ielts test? If this is the case it looks like we will not be going

If your hubby holds a British, Irish, American, Canadian or new Zealand passport he won't have to sit the test.

I'm trilled as we are on it general electrician. hope its the same for the SMP....

Maria.x

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

Hmmm. I wonder whether SA are at loggerheads with DIAC about what SA's SMP ought to say?

A couple of months ago, the Minister for Immi warned the State Governments that he would not allow them to use their SMPs as a way of boosting the populations in their States. He did not aim his warning at any particular State but I think it is a fair bet that SA was one of the ones in his gunsights. The population in SA is too small for comfort and Immigration to SA has long been seen as one of the ways of helping to solve its population problem.

I suspect that increasing the IELTS requirements for tradies is yet another example of the Fed Govt trying to enrich IDP (who run the IELTS in Australia) and also an attempt by the Fed Govt to try to micro manage the Immigration programme from Canberra instead of allowing the States to do their own thing.

What difference does it make if a Plasterer from Pakistan has IELTS 6.0 or 6.5? The guy can either plaster a wall or he can't and I wouldn't waste a Plasterer's time by trying to chat to him when he is supposed to be plastering my wall.

Apparently it doesn't matter if a Radiation Oncologist can't speak English as well as the Plasterer from Pakistan can????? I'd have thought that it is far more crucial for the Radiation Oncologist to speak good English than for the Plasterer to be able to do so????

My own feeling is that if Joolya's new minority Government does not stop interfering with everything via its Rudd-inspired desire to try to micro manage everything, there will probably be another General Election in Oz before long.

Cheers

Gill

Can anyone tell me. I know we are waiting for release of SMP's to bump up to Cat 2, but, I applied for SS in May and was to late for DIAC with 176 application so was waiting on SMP's but then surprisingly SA gave out a few SS in Aug me being one of them as a nurse. So this was done as by them in anticipation/expectation of their SMP. Why does this not make me a Cat 2 now. Hope ? makes sense

Adele x

hi topturner,

i am also SA sponsored applicant (15 Sep 09). just like you i am sad because my occupation is not in the interim list too but let us not loose hope because it is not yet the SMP. who knows, our occupation will be included when the SMP is released. i am just thinking positive that this interim list is intended to lure prospective applicants and the quota for occupations listed in the interim list are still open. may be the quota for our occupations have already been reached for this calendar year that is why immi SA did not include them in this list because they do not want to invite additional applicants. i hope this will turn out to be true. for the meantime let us wait and keep on praying.

Guest Gollywobbler
Can anyone tell me. I know we are waiting for release of SMP's to bump up to Cat 2, but, I applied for SS in May and was to late for DIAC with 176 application so was waiting on SMP's but then surprisingly SA gave out a few SS in Aug me being one of them as a nurse. So this was done as by them in anticipation/expectation of their SMP. Why does this not make me a Cat 2 now. Hope ? makes sense

Hi Tina

Apparently the State Governments each have to sign a Memorandum of Agreement with the Minister for Immi about the SMPs.

MoUs are not legally binding but both sides agree to treat them as if they were Law.

It seems that somebody decided that the Minister could not sign the MoUs whilst the Government spent 6 weeks plus in Caretaker Mode recently.

Now the uncertainty is whether the new Minister (a chap called Chris Bowen) will agree to the idea of SMPs at all or whether he will prefer some other Bright Idea of his own devising instead. Also, even if he agrees to the SMPs, he might not like the details of one or more of the MoUs. It seems that a State cannot publish its SMP until its MoU has been signed.

I get the feeling that some of the State Governments are close to agreeing everything with DIAC and that they will publish their SMPs in October unless Bowen chucks a spanner in the works. However the ACT Rep went to a meeting in London on Monday 13th September. Apparently she said that she thought that the ACT would not be ready to publish its own SMP until December.

From that, I get the feeling that some of the States are not willing to give into DIAC as readily as DIAC might have assumed/wanted/hoped. I've heard a rumour that the NT are being bloody-minded with DIAC as well, but the NT seems to be the Poor Relation out of all of the States in Australia, whereas I've watched hundreds of hours of films, seen photos etc (though I have never actually been to the NT) and my impression is that the NT seems to be Australia's best kept secret.

I think that the NT is quite magical so I don't know why it is unpopular with wannabe migrants. I've never been to SA either but those are the two States that I would most like to visit. Where do my sister and mother both live? Boring old Perth! The trouble with visiting family for maybe a month is that you can't really go anywhere except where they live.

I went to Sydney a couple of times in my teens and early 20s. I loved Sydney, especially Sydney Harbour which is quite beautiful and as a keen yottie, I don't think I could ever get bored with sailing in Sydney Harbour. Personally I also think that Sydney Opera House is an utterly beautiful and iconic piece of architecture (though the music experts say that the acoustic is dreadful and nowhere near as good as some other place in Sydney where they hold concerts.)

I've been to Melbourne once, when I was about 16. That was because of Family Pressure. My parents lived in Malaysia and some of the British Expats there had said that Australia was a much better place to retire to than the UK. My mother has rellies in Melbourne. I don't know why Dad decided to go and look at Sydney instead of looking at, say, Darwin or Adelaide or Perth.

Dad decided to please Mum by including 4 days in Melbourne, so to Melbourne we went! I hated every minute of Melbourne but I think that that is because we were staying with Mum's rellies so they set the Agenda about where we should go and what we should see. We didn't really have any say in it at all. Plus they dragged us around in a car whereas in Sydney we had mostly used public transport or our own feet. My impression of Melbourne was/is totally muddled because I had no impression of where X was in relation to Y and I thought that all of it was dreadful compared to Sydney. However I do think that this happens once a Family starts interfering. I don't think it was Melbourne's fault at all!

Cheers

Gill

This has made me feel a lot brighter today!!!!

Thanks so much for the thread.

OH solid plasterer is on the list which I'm very relieved about as read somewhere recently that SA had enough plasterers??!!!

Just goes to show - you absolutley cannot be sure until you see it officially in black and white, and even then it may well change again!!

Lets hope these trades will now be on the SMP list and also hope those who have SS will be honoured.

Good luck all xxx

Rose.

A lot of plasterers here, we can start a company together! :wink:

HA HA!!!

Good idea !!

I think we should call the company ''PLASTERED POMS!!!" :biglaugh:

Should do quite well

xx

Lets hope these trades will now be on the SMP list and also hope those who have SS will be honoured.

Totally Agree Rose, I so hope that there is at least some backtracking by the new minister in regards to honouring those with old SS. I hope this list is not a true indication of the SMP as if it is we're stuffed!

Totally Agree Rose, I so hope that there is at least some backtracking by the new minister in regards to honouring those with old SS. I hope this list is not a true indication of the SMP as if it is we're stuffed!

I really hope so. It's just so very unfair to those that applied and met all the requirements to do so.

It's only by chance that we applied on my OH's trade. I am a hairdresser and lecturer but because of the kids I do not work full time anymore.

The SMP's surely must take into consideration all those that have sponsorship.

I feel for you I really do.

Wishing you all the luck xx :wubclub:

Rose.

I was at the recent SKILLS AUSTRALIA NEEDS expo in London.

I spoke to the ladies from WA and was told I would need a 7.0 in the IELTS to be sponsored by WA

I said I hadn't reaf anything about this in the past and was told it will be a new requirment when the SMP is released.

I e-mailed Sue Harcuss at WA stat gov migration dept in London and she confirmed that they were "considering" that all trades should have a 7.0 in the IELTS.

One more hurdle and more money with no notice!

Where does it all end?

Archived