Any way to convert 885 into 175 or other offshore option?

Guest stayer

I am wondering if there is any way to convert my pending 885 application (lodged Aug 2008, Management Consultant, present Cat 4) into 175 or other offhore option.

I am sick of having my career and life put on hold. I have my own business with customers worldwide but only charge for service so my income does not qualify for Business Visa. Australia seems to attract only corporate rats or wanna-be entreprenours and doesn't care about talent at all!

As a management consultant, I can hardly promise any good service to cusomers (or possibly employers) if there is danger of getting 28 days notice to leave the country. I would be a bad consultant if I did that.

Is there any way to convert my application? Thanks!

Guest Jane1991

You are free to leave. you don't have to be onshore all the time. Just keep the case officer notified of your offshore location and when you are asked by the CO to come... come on a visitor visa. Simple.

Are you sure there will not be any trouble getting the visitor visa? I know cases where tourist visas were not granted for no appearent reason.

What I have been doing was getting BVB foe 3 months but was pretty costly to fly overseas so often

Guest Jane1991

PAM GenGuide H

43.2 Clients waiting offshore for the grant of their GSM application.

Clients who have returned to their home country after lodging an onshore GSM application may seek a Tourist visa to re-enter Australia if they do not hold a valid BVB.

Visitors & Deregulation Section supports the facilitation of entry on Tourist visas for GSM applicants who have been assessed as meeting the GSM criteria and advised that their visa will be granted on re-entering Australia.

Offshore applicants for GSM visas who have not been advised that their GSM visa will be granted should not be granted a Tourist visa. Allowing clients in these circumstances to re-enter Australia raises the expectation that the GSM visa will be granted and may lead to a prolonged stay onshore without a substantive visa.

__________________________________________________ _________

Don't pretend to have any real knowledge about this, but perhaps it depends on where stayer is paying taxes, as if he/she leaves here for work, and then returns as this is his/her main base and returns on a visitors visa will not have the right to work here, as will no longer be on bridging visa A. and if paying tax here might find everything very difficult. So this idea could present all sorts of problems. I know you can leave when waiting for the 885/6 visa to be granted, but at the moment it looks as though it might take years and years if you are on sched. 4 ( management consultant is sched. 4), and it does depend on family circumstances etc. especially if you have set up home here and have family to consider. I'd be surprised if many 885/6 applicants would want to take the chance to leave while waiting for visas, unless they are young and perhaps single, after living here for years already, as there have been so many changes to everything, goodness knows what might be dreamed up next if you have gone offshore while waiting.

PAM GenGuide H

43.2 Clients waiting offshore for the grant of their GSM application.

Clients who have returned to their home country after lodging an onshore GSM application may seek a Tourist visa to re-enter Australia if they do not hold a valid BVB.

Visitors & Deregulation Section supports the facilitation of entry on Tourist visas for GSM applicants who have been assessed as meeting the GSM criteria and advised that their visa will be granted on re-entering Australia.

Offshore applicants for GSM visas who have not been advised that their GSM visa will be granted should not be granted a Tourist visa. Allowing clients in these circumstances to re-enter Australia raises the expectation that the GSM visa will be granted and may lead to a prolonged stay onshore without a substantive visa.

__________________________________________________ _________

Jane,

can you please provide source of this information? Thaks!

Guest Jane1991

Its a policy advice manual used by DIAC officers . I am sure your agent will have access to it ... its called PAM Guide H

It might be available in public domain but I had to go to an agent to have this information as I did not wish to stay in Aus and wait for a visa.

Guest Gollywobbler
Jane,

can you please provide source of this information? Thaks!

Hi Stayer

The PAMs (DIAC's policy & procedures advice manuals) from which Jane has quoted can be accessed via Legend or via LexisNexis. I am told that the version on Legend is less bad than the version on LexisNexis but that neither of the two versions is really any good.

To access Legend, please see the following link:

LEGENDcom

You can access Legend for free at any State library and at some university libraries. However I would be inclined to phone any relevant libraries that you might be able to get to easily. How long do they allow you to spend at one of their computer terminals?

Astonishingly, I am told that it is not possible to print anything directly from Legend and that it is not possible to keep a copy of any documents unless you do a Copy & Paste into Word or similar. Take a memory stick or similar, I suggest.

If you want to be able to access Legend from home or from your office, you would have to pay quite a hefty price to subscribe to the thing. However as long as you pay up, you are entitled to receive full access to Legend.

I am told that the problem with buying a subscription via LexisNexis is that there can be quite a lengthy delay between the time when DIAC make a new document available and the document being uploaded to LexisNexis.

Cheers

Gill

Its a policy advice manual used by DIAC officers . I am sure your agent will have access to it ... its called PAM Guide H

It might be available in public domain but I had to go to an agent to have this information as I did not wish to stay in Aus and wait for a visa.

So does that mean you are waiting offshore for onshore application?

Thanks for your help!

• 3 weeks later...

I called them yesterday and I was told that Tourist visa will not be granted to me unless High Commisioner in my home country decides so. So it is about granting Bridging Visa A/B while overseas (what is impossible but if High Commisioner decides it will be granted upon arrival).

Anyone has experience with this? I need to travel home frequently due to family reasons.

• 1 year later...
Guest Ausin

Hi,jane

Please advis!!! did you leave australia and waited for your 885 decision from your home country and then once you hade case officer allocated you applied for tourist visa to return back for your visa grant??

I am in such situation currently and waiting for my tourist visa decision..Very much tensed about the outcome!! waiting for a miracle to happen... please share your experiance in such situation..Thanks

• 3 months later...
Hi,jane

Please advis!!! did you leave australia and waited for your 885 decision from your home country and then once you hade case officer allocated you applied for tourist visa to return back for your visa grant??

I am in such situation currently and waiting for my tourist visa decision..Very much tensed about the outcome!! waiting for a miracle to happen... please share your experiance in such situation..Thanks

I am in the exact situation. I had attempted to apply for the tourist visa at the beginning of the year when my 885 application started being processed, but they refused to grant it because I did not have evidence that my application was nearing completion. I got my pre-grant letter last month, and I immediately contacted the High Commission in my home country, forwarded a copy of the pre-grant notification to them, and they gave me the green-light to apply for the tourist visa. Processing usually takes 10 working days, but it's been over a month, and they are yet to make a decision. I have emailed them a couple of weeks ago, and they said they would make a decision the following week, but that didn't happen. After going into panic-mode and being a complete worrywart, I woke up today and decided to fully surrender it to God, let Him take the wheel in this situation and touch the hearts of the High Commission for them to grant me the tourist visa soon.

Hi everyone

some good news from me today. I finally got my tourist visa the day before yesterday. Heading back to Australia this Sunday, and hopefully when I get back it won't take too long for the grant of my 885 visa :biggrin: Thank you all for your prayers and encouragement, and watch this space for more good news from me soon. Bless you all.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi everyone

some good news from me today. I finally got my tourist visa the day before yesterday. Heading back to Australia this Sunday, and hopefully when I get back it won't take too long for the grant of my 885 visa :biggrin: Thank you all for your prayers and encouragement, and watch this space for more good news from me soon. Bless you all.

To end this on a positive note, I arrived back in Australia on 6th November, and on 9th November, I was granted my 885 permanent residency visa.

Archived