Help needed please for a new life in perth

davet19650

Hi to everyone down there in perth

having a bit of a dilemma as to our moving down there as to whether we can actually afford to do the big move.

what we are after is some honesty from as many of you already there or in the moving process as to your thoughts on whether we will suvive.

i myself are a painter and decorator by trade, we did our reccie and validation back in march, met up with quite a few people to find out the work situation, seems to be good, but working for a company will pay me roughly 30 to 35 bucks an hour, we are looking at renting which looks to be around the 350 a week, the wife wont be working to start with probably part time at something after a while so my wages will have to cover everything,

we will be looking a buying a car when we get there, this will be a cash purchase with what money we bring over. so with my earnings to cover rent, car insurance,utility bills,shopping etc and any things else that any body can think of will we be able to survive with out going under.

any help greatly appreciated with as many threads back as possible

cheers

Dave

We've not had to manage on one wage as we both work, but I know that Fiona who recently left PIO was the sole wage earner for a while and they managed, they were just realistic, bought an older car (so they still had some funds) and brought a new one this year.

Guest Ladyjady

I'm keen for honest feedback too- am looking at jobs circa $65- $70K, coming on my own with 2 kids aged 14 and 10. It's very scary to jack it all in for a better lifestyle to possibly be in a situation where I can't provide what the kids need at a difficult time for them. Any guidance gratefully received.....

Hi,

Rent costs depends on which suberb you live. Generally the closer you get to the city the more expensive the rent will be. Second hand cars are way overpriced, i couldn't believe the prices when we first bought a car. People seem to ask top dollar for complete si*t heaps. When buying an older car don't forget we don't have the MOT here so inspect any vehicle very carefully.

As for the money situation, i think you will manage on one wage, but things could be a bit tight. It all depends how sensible you are and where you shop. We tend to do our veggie and meat shopping at farm shops. When things are in season they are fairly cheap and good quality.

One thing, if you get a house with ducted heating i strongly advise you dont use it as it is VERY expensive to run and houses generally arn't well insulated so any heat you do get off it doesn't hang around for very long.

Andy

i found my daughter a car two weeks ago a ford festiva 95 hatch 88.000 km on it a few little dents from the hail damage for $2000 and last week i found my dad a holden nova sedan immaculate inside and out , 115,000 km on it just had its cv joints, breaks , break pads and tyres replaced and i got it for $3700 i had my mechanic go over both cars thouroughly before i brought them.

Once you get here, if you get yourself to car auctions...am told they are two. 1. at the airport and 2. held on wednesdays at 5pm in perth cbd. I discovered the auctions after buying an expensive 2nd hand car. My friends bought great cars for only $2,000. Especially the one at the airport you can get a very good car for $2,000 or less.

Guest craighannay

maybe they were 3 beds i saw,,sry

but we know it will be hard if we find a cheap rental for 250/300 it def wont look like our house does now thats for sure :(

30/35 $ an hr - 18.75-20 pound an hr seems a very good wage,maybe i started the wrong trade

are you a home owner now with a property to sell? or you renting when you go

sounds to me you will be on more money than you are now

also $350 rent per month is quite high but there are ones for $200/250/275

i`m worried to but i would rather struggle in oz than be rich in england

This must be a typo?? Do you mean per WEEK? I'd say $350 a week is achievable in some areas but certainly wouldn't call it high. We pay $500 a week for a 3 bed sorely in need of renovation, beautiful though and close to Freo. I've just checked and the median rent for Perth is $470 per week

Guest Ladyjady

I def also rather be poor in Oz than rich in England!

Regarding renting- I am looking at 3 bed properties on the websites and I will need to pay at least $400- $450 for a decent property. Is your 200- 275 based on 1 bed properties for a couple or am I over estimating?

Guest craighannay

we have had a quick look at 3 bed prop

Real Estate & Property For Rent with 3+ bedrooms between $200 and $500 in Albany, WA 6330 (Page 1) - realestate.com.au

BUT we are moving to albany wa and not perth,the further from a city or major city will be cheaper

just have a realy good look because 5/10km down the road may bring you lots of extras and a much bigger house

keep us posted

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi to everyone down there in perth

having a bit of a dilemma as to our moving down there as to whether we can actually afford to do the big move.

what we are after is some honesty from as many of you already there or in the moving process as to your thoughts on whether we will suvive.

i myself are a painter and decorator by trade, we did our reccie and validation back in march, met up with quite a few people to find out the work situation, seems to be good, but working for a company will pay me roughly 30 to 35 bucks an hour, we are looking at renting which looks to be around the 350 a week, the wife wont be working to start with probably part time at something after a while so my wages will have to cover everything,

we will be looking a buying a car when we get there, this will be a cash purchase with what money we bring over. so with my earnings to cover rent, car insurance,utility bills,shopping etc and any things else that any body can think of will we be able to survive with out going under.

any help greatly appreciated with as many threads back as possible

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

I would suggest that you send a PM to Jackal. He does not say much on the boards any more but he reads the forum at least once a week so he would see a PM.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/members/jackal.html

Like you, Jackal is a Painter & Decorator. He went to Oz with his girlfriend in mid-2009. Both of them had had WH visas before that and the place that Jackal had liked was Sydney. His GF preferred Perth and Jackal has a great mate who lives in WA, so the GF's wishes prevailed and they moved to Perth.

Jackal is only 31 or so and the couple have no children. For a young couple without children, I don't think that Perth is the most exciting part of Australia (especially not after living in London originally.)

Once of the first things that Jackal found was that he could not work off his own bat unless he did some course or other at the local TAFE. That took 6 weeks of one evening a week but he got the licence to work on his own or whatever the course led to.

My sister got to know him quite well because she lives in Perth and he repainted her house for her late last year. My mother lives with my sister and Mum is very beady.

My sister lives in Burbsville SoR but she and her husband are now in their early 50s, with two teenaged sons. Elaine and her hubby both work full time and get up with the lark, so they are ready to fall into bed soon after supper every night. Plus having got used to spending most of their evenings at home because of the children, they no longer either expect or want a roaring night-life.

Jackal, I and his GF have had quite a few chats on the phone in the last year or so, plus we e-mail each other etc.

Jackal had no difficulty with getting work with decorating companies in Perth but he said that he thought the pay was very low, plus he was used to working for himself and I don't think he really liked working for anyone else.

They lived in West Leederville to start with, close to the Perth CBD, which is a lot livelier than the quiet suburban housing areas further out. They soon discovered JB O'Reilly's because that was only a 5 minute walk from their flat:

J.B.O'Reillys Irish Pub and Restaurant Perth Western Australia

I think Jackal got quite a bit of work out of that pub - ie independently of his employer - and he had other private customers like my sister via another type of word of mouth introduction (ie me.)

When Jackal grumbled about the pay, I said I had heard that there is a lot of work up round Karratha and that it pays a fortune compared to the hourly rates in Perth. Jackal said he knew all about that (from his mates at the pub, I expect) but he did not want to leave his GF in Perth for weeks at a time on her own - which was very nice of him, I felt.

I think he got bored with Perth pretty quickly but I think that a lot of that is because it is nowhere near as exciting as Sydney. They stayed in Perth for a year but they have now moved to Sydney.

I received an e-mail from Jackal's GF the other day. They obviously adore Sydney so I am waiting to hear all the details from her.

The best thing is probably to ask Jackal to give you a phone number so that you can ring him up and get all the low down from him.

Cheers

Gill

We have been here since June 2010 and the cost of living is expensive compared to UK, but not many people we have spoken to come over here to make their fortune, it is for the sunshine and fabulous way of life. Bear in mind the exchange rate too, we did most of our financial calculations on a rate of $2 to the pound (going rate at the time!!) but it was $1.70 when we actually came over so our cash didn't go as far as we would have liked. Au dollar is really strong at the moment.

Hi Gollywobbler

Yes Jackal

i contacted him back in february just before we went out for our reccie ,he got back and then contacted him when we got to perth, we arranged to meet up for a drink and a chat ,then he texted me the night before and said he couldnt make it, i tried ringing him a few days later and he never answered or replied to voicemail so gave up.

Got to know quite a few guys out there and there is plenty of work obviously more money working for yourself

cheers

Dave

Archived