Coolum State High/Noosa District School?

PARBUTTN

Hi,

Does anyone have any opinions or information on these schools. There seems to be many private schools in the area, but most seem very religious, and wondered if anyone had children that attended these schools Coolum High, Noosa District and Sunshine Beach High.

Any comments would be appreciated

thanks

Guest Annette from the forest

Hi, I live in Noosa and have started work as a supply teacher and home tutor. In my limited experience I have found Noosa District High in Cooroy to be the better of the schools. Staff are dedicated, the curriculum varied and the staff will actually do something to help the kids. With my home tutoring , it has all been to kids from the same private school whose parents are totally fed up with the poor teaching in basic subjects. Having taught in comprehensives in England for 31 years I found their levels of literacy very low. Don't waste your money on private schools, stick to the state ones.

Hi Annette,

Thanks for your info. I am a bit anti private schools as I beleive the child will acheive whatever they are capable of. My girls have just completed GCSE's here in uk at Grammar schools, but also some of their friends who attended the local comps, whose stats were not that great, have achieved more a less the same. Coolum has really poor OP scores but is a tiny school, I will still look around it as it will be across the road from where we are living. Noosa was more appealing but it looks like we will have to rethink where to live. We are planning to head for Peregian Springs. I have emailed a couple of schools, but had no response, so it looks like we are going to have to contact them once we arrive.

Glad to have been of help. Avoid the private school in Perigian Springs as that is the one the parents whose kids I am tutoring complain about.

Don't be put off if you haven't had a reply yet. That's what it's like over here, you have just about given up on them when they get around to replying, drives me mad but there it is! If I can be of any more help, let me know.

Thanks for sharing that. I have emailed this school as it's OP scores were as high as the Private, one of the top ranking in SC!!!. I think i have wittled it down to Noosa and Coolum, my twins are high achievers here in UK and as long as they are happy I don't care. Grammar school here in UK has been tough for them, with the bulk of homework 3hrs every night 4hrs on thursday. I did not support the school with this however, they battled through but with low morale. Achieved fantastic grades here so I hope they do well and settle in Yr 11 ok.

Do you think if we reside at Peregian Springs we would be in the catchment area for Noosa District? Only had a day around the Noosa area in our reccie trip 2yrs ago,but straight away fell in love with the area but need to do more research once we arrive in 7 weeks. Need to try and enrol the twins before school ends in Dec.

Nicki

Nicki x

Hello Nicki, you would find it difficult to get the twins into Cooroy if you live a Perigian Springs, it's not in their catchment area.

Thanks, thats what I thought. Peregian springs is a large resort and I can't believe all the kids attend St Andrews. If Coolum really poor on viewing, we may have to move more towards Noosaville. It would be nice to know where the majority of kids go to school on that estate.

nicki x

I expect those that don't go to St. Andrews go to Coolum, it's the nearest. I haven't heard a good word about St. As I'm afraid and as I said all the home tutoring has been with kids from there. The standards seem low compared to UK and from what I'm told the staff just don't help the kids at all.

Noosa Waters is an estate very much like Perigian Springs but you'd probably be in the Cooroy catchment area.

Do you want my email address?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Annette,

We are already here on the Sunshine Coast and about to contact schools with a view to getting our two girls in somewhere. We have an 11 y o and a 14 y o (well, 14 in a couple of weeks time!) My worry is that there will be parts of the Australian syllabus that they just won't have covered in the UK. Would you be able to help fill in gaps, if necessary, or is all your experience UK based? They may just need to get their brains back in gear as we left the UK just as schools there were going back for the autumn term, so they have been on holiday since the end of July! Jill

Hello Jill, I have been teaching in English schools for 31 years and 4 months over here! I could help you with basic skills . From what I have seen and heard in the schools I have worked in , their syllabi are very different to England and vary from school to school so once you have decided on a school for your girls you will know more . If you want some tutoring in English before they start, let me know but from what I have seen of Literacy skills here they will be ok. Annette

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, Annette,

We are already here on the Sunshine Coast and about to contact schools with a view to getting our two girls in somewhere. We have an 11 y o and a 14 y o (well, 14 in a couple of weeks time!) My worry is that there will be parts of the Australian syllabus that they just won't have covered in the UK. Would you be able to help fill in gaps, if necessary, or is all your experience UK based? They may just need to get their brains back in gear as we left the UK just as schools there were going back for the autumn term, so they have been on holiday since the end of July! Jill

Hi, Jill

We have a 14 year old daughter who had grammar school education in UK and are looking for a state school. We have been to look at Coolum State High School and wondered where you have decided to send you children. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated as we need to get her into school before the end of year to get a friendship base up and running.

Thanks

Emma

Thanks, thats what I thought. Peregian springs is a large resort and I can't believe all the kids attend St Andrews. If Coolum really poor on viewing, we may have to move more towards Noosaville. It would be nice to know where the majority of kids go to school on that estate.

nicki x

Hi Nicki,

Just wondering what you thoughts were on Coolum High and where you children ended up. We have a 14 year old girl who attended grammar school education in UK and want her to be happy but still need a school that encourages her.

Thanks

Emma

Hi,

We havent arrived yet, 15th Nov. Coolum High has been the only school that has replied to me and sent cirriculum details etc. I like the idea it is quite a small school. The other one I would like to see aswell is Peregian beach college. Noosa district will be out of the area, but are planning to reside at Peregian Springs to start with. What did you think of Coolum High and where do live in oz?

Nicki x

Hi,

We havent arrived yet, 15th Nov. Coolum High has been the only school that has replied to me and sent cirriculum details etc. I like the idea it is quite a small school. The other one I would like to see aswell is Peregian beach college. Noosa district will be out of the area, but are planning to reside at Peregian Springs to start with. What did you think of Coolum High and where do live in oz?

Nicki x

Hi Nicki

We have been to view Coolum High and my daughter really liked it. Set in a nice location and the teachers were extremely helpful and genuine. We are going up this week for a sit down meeting with them as Catherine has to choose her options for year 10 studies. We arrived here on 16 October and have been stopping with family in west Brisbane. We absolutely love Mooloolaba and Coolum and are heading up their to rent short term. We prefer the Broadwalk location which is a new established area and Mount Coolum. We are going to have a good look around this week.

Safe journey and enjoy your adventure. If we can help in anyway once you are here please PM me.

Emma

Hi Emma,

Thats really reassuring to know about the school, I hope the twins like it, they only have one maybe 2 yrs of school but this is a brilliant way for them to make friends. I remember seeing the Boardwalk a couple of years ago and we are renting on arrival in Mudjimba, near Mt Coolum, its lovely all around there.

My girls cannot wait to start school, as they have not been since May after their GCSE's. The Grammar would not have them back as they only offer 2yrs a level courses and it effects their 'drop out' figures.

I am disgusted, as I didnt want to enrol them at another 6th form where they would have to make new friends again. Ideally we wanted to arrive this summer and put them straight into school, but hubbys dad passed away recently, and everything has been such bad timing, so will start them in jan now.Never mind we leave in 12 days and are so excited.

hope you find a lovely place to live on the sunny coast

Nicki x

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Emma,

Thats really reassuring to know about the school, I hope the twins like it, they only have one maybe 2 yrs of school but this is a brilliant way for them to make friends. I remember seeing the Boardwalk a couple of years ago and we are renting on arrival in Mudjimba, near Mt Coolum, its lovely all around there.

My girls cannot wait to start school, as they have not been since May after their GCSE's. The Grammar would not have them back as they only offer 2yrs a level courses and it effects their 'drop out' figures.

I am disgusted, as I didnt want to enrol them at another 6th form where they would have to make new friends again. Ideally we wanted to arrive this summer and put them straight into school, but hubbys dad passed away recently, and everything has been such bad timing, so will start them in jan now.Never mind we leave in 12 days and are so excited.

hope you find a lovely place to live on the sunny coast

Nicki x

Hi Nicki

Just wondered how things were going and if you had arrived yet? There's a few of us meeting up on Sunday for brekkie barbeque on Maroochy River if you fancy it. Have you seen any schools yet? we've been to look at a few more as state system a bit different here to what our daughters are used to.

Emma

hi Emma,

We arrived last monday and are staying at Mt coolum, just opposite the Boardwalk. We have driven up and down the coast and feel we have made the right decision as we wasnt sure GC or SC. We love the Coolum/Noosa area, and have put in an application for rental at Peregian Springs. Locals call it mini Britain, but it certainly isnt the Britain I know!!! We are hopefully viewing Coolum High, St Andrews and Peregian Beach College this week, I am making appts tomorrow, so will let you know. My girls fancy Peregian Beach as it has only just opened to Yr 11/12, and think they will prefer smaller classes. But will shall look around them all.

Can you give me more details about the BBQ at Maroochy, what do I need to bring and where abouts are you meeting?

Great to hear from you

Nicki x

hi Emma,

We arrived last monday and are staying at Mt coolum, just opposite the Boardwalk. We have driven up and down the coast and feel we have made the right decision as we wasnt sure GC or SC. We love the Coolum/Noosa area, and have put in an application for rental at Peregian Springs. Locals call it mini Britain, but it certainly isnt the Britain I know!!! We are hopefully viewing Coolum High, St Andrews and Peregian Beach College this week, I am making appts tomorrow, so will let you know. My girls fancy Peregian Beach as it has only just opened to Yr 11/12, and think they will prefer smaller classes. But will shall look around them all.

Can you give me more details about the BBQ at Maroochy, what do I need to bring and where abouts are you meeting?

Great to hear from you

Nicki x

Hi Nicki

We have a rental on Mount Coolum shores next to the Boardwalk so we are not far from you. Hope you are enjoying being here and you sound like you're very organised and getting sorted quickly.

Meeting on the Maroochy river near the esplanade at 10.00am onwards. Sue will probably have her green flag with her to identify us. In terms of food just bring whatever you would like to eat cooked on the barbie (maybe sausages or bacon). We'll probably have a sandwich. Oh and drinks too of course.

Look forward to meeting you all if you can make it.

Emma

• 2 years later...

Hi Nicki

My name is Chris Roff, and I am the Principal at Noosa District SHS. Just wanted to invite you to email me about your move (croff4@eq.edu.au) We don't have any enrolment boundaries, and some of our teachers live in Peregian Springs, so the distance to us is certainly doable. Drop me a line, and I'll send you some material about the school - I am from Haywards Heath in Sussex myself! Cheers Chris

• 1 year later...

Archived