Working holiday to perm

outlawtorn

Hi all, I have been looking into moving to perth for some time now. I cant seem to find anyinfo or even if its possible to come over to australia on a working holiday visa find work and then apply for a perminent visa.

Can anyone shed any light or advise on doing this. I am a qualified electrician in the uk however have mainly worked in wiring controll panels/switchgear. Hoping to get something similar in oz but will take anything.

Is it likely if i fly over on this visa that i would end up being able to stay.

Thanx Dan.

Hi Dan,

My brother went to Oz on a working holiday visa, done some travelling around and then got a job.

The company he worked for offered him sponsorship as he was coming up to his 3 months employment. He has since recieved his PR but it has taken him around 4 years. Not 100% sure how this was done but he is still working for the same company.

I presume that someone on here will have more of a technical and detailed answer.

I came to Oz about 6 years ago on a WHV, managed to get a decent job and sponsored on a 457 (4 Year). After 3 years decided I was staying and applied and granted PR, bought a house and did my Citizenship.

I have about 5 friends who did the same and at least 20+ who tried and failed to stay over the years, the hardest bit is finding an employer willing to sponsor. Thats the Achilles heel of such a plan, most employers reckon its too much hassle to sponsor (it is more involved than it sounds) and some employers think employing someone on a WHV is too much hassle as well.

Also its worth pointing out that to work as an electrician or any type of mains work you need to have an electrical licence, this usually involves doing a course over about 12 weeks. You wont be able to work as an electrician without it but you will be able to work as a trade assistant.

There is also a PEER course thats done in Adelaide, think its distant learning and then you do the test over a few days when you arrive in Australia. I don't know much about it but you could try google it.

• 3 weeks later...

I came over on a WHV, did the rural work so entitled to the 2nd year, got a job for 6 months, and then went back to work for them for 6 months on the 2nd year visa, and now they are sponsoring me...

It may be worth looking at if you qualify for the 175 skilled migrant visa and then you can come over for 2 years (if you do the 3 month rural work to qualify for the 2nd year) on a WHV while they process your 175 visa.

It would be worth looking at it as a 2 year plan, you only need to do 3 months on the harvest trail to get your 2nd WHM visa and so you have the rest of the time to find a sponsor - spend some time enjoying the country first and make sure it offers everything you want and then try to find a temp job with an employer you think could be interested in sponsoring and try and make sure you do a good job and see what happens from there...

I would be VERY wary of doing this. Firsttly, getting sponsorship is a LOT harder now as they havwe tightened the 457 rules a lot. Also, you would never be able to work as a sparky as you would need all the skills assesment and things.

Have a hunt on the boards and there are plenty of people who have tried this and are now having to leave Oz

Archived