JamesMu

Brit moving to Oz with Kiwi wife - what kind of Visa needed?

Hi,

I am sure that someone will have asked a similar question to the one I ma going to ask but I have had a look on the Forum and can't find it if they have.

I am a UK citizen and am getting married to my Kiwi fiancee next March (2011). We are hoping to move to Oz (Melbourne) in the next couple of years and so are starting to look into Visa's. We are obviously fortunate tha my fiancee is from New Zealand so can move to Oz with no problems, but I would like some advice on the best option for us.

From my research so far, I think the best option for me would be the partner Visa, and hope I get a permanent one. Does anyone know how likely this would be? We have been together for 7 years and own a house together in the UK. We also have a 11 month old daughter, born in the UK.

We are also wondering if it would be worth my fiancee getting her Oz citizenship. Her mum is Australian so she is entitled by descent, but we arent sure if this would actually have any advantage over simply going over as a NZ citizen. Has anyone else looked into this? Would it increase my chances of getting a permanent partnership Visa?

Lastly, we are not sure what kind of Visa our daughter would need?

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated, the Australian embassy are not easy people to get hold of!

Many thanks,

James

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi,

I am sure that someone will have asked a similar question to the one I ma going to ask but I have had a look on the Forum and can't find it if they have.

I am a UK citizen and am getting married to my Kiwi fiancee next March (2011). We are hoping to move to Oz (Melbourne) in the next couple of years and so are starting to look into Visa's. We are obviously fortunate tha my fiancee is from New Zealand so can move to Oz with no problems, but I would like some advice on the best option for us.

From my research so far, I think the best option for me would be the partner Visa, and hope I get a permanent one. Does anyone know how likely this would be? We have been together for 7 years and own a house together in the UK. We also have a 11 month old daughter, born in the UK.

We are also wondering if it would be worth my fiancee getting her Oz citizenship. Her mum is Australian so she is entitled by descent, but we arent sure if this would actually have any advantage over simply going over as a NZ citizen. Has anyone else looked into this? Would it increase my chances of getting a permanent partnership Visa?

Lastly, we are not sure what kind of Visa our daughter would need?

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated, the Australian embassy are not easy people to get hold of!

Many thanks,

James

Hi James

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

The best option, by miles, would be for your OH to obtain her Australian Citizenship by descent.

If she gets that first and then you apply for a Partner visa, you will probably get Australian PR immediately because of your daughter. I think you will be able to add your daughter to your Partner application, as your dependent. I don't think you will need a separate Child visa for your daughter.

If you don't do it this way then either you will have to apply for a skilled visa in your own right or you will have to get a subclass 461 visa but a 461 will never get PR in Oz for you.

New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 461)

Cheers

Gill

Hi James

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

The best option, by miles, would be for your OH to obtain her Australian Citizenship by descent.

If she gets that first and then you apply for a Partner visa, you will probably get Australian PR immediately because of your daughter. I think you will be able to add your daughter to your Partner application, as your dependent. I don't think you will need a separate Child visa for your daughter.

If you don't do it this way then either you will have to apply for a skilled visa in your own right or you will have to get a subclass 461 visa but a 461 will never get PR in Oz for you.

New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 461)

Cheers

Gill

Thanks a lot for the advice, we will get onto the Oz Citizenship asap!

Guest pommykiwis

Hiya,

I am a kiwi who has Aus citizenship by descent & married to a Brit. I applied for citizenship by descent in 2007 & then applied for Aus PR for hubby & 2 kids & whole process for both took < 3 months start to finish. Our paperwork was processed in Auckland & they could not have been more helpful. The age limit for applying for Aus citizenship by descent was removed in July 2007.

then applied for Aus PR for hubby & 2 kids & whole process for both took < 3 months start to finish.

Just to set your expectation, in terms of processing times, things are moving an awful lot slower these days. :biggrin: