Exporting Vehicle

Wozza

Does anyone have any experience of taking their vehicle to AUS!!! :mask:

I'm half way through the experience now.

Our car is now at Brisbane and is being valued tomorrow so I should know how much taxes I need to pay very soon.

We shipped our car with our goods in a 20` container using John Masons.

We're using an agent at this side to sort things for us Iron Chef Imports - Contact

I'll be updating my post here as I go on http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/reccie-arrival-reports/93867-our-australian-adventure-has-begun-3.html#post858877

Any questions just pm me

Where abouts in West Yorkshire are you from by the way?

Howard

Yeah, we exported a Landcruiser to Oz. We spent a fortune getting it steam cleaned inside and out, it looked as good as new sitting on the drive back in the UK. I was amazed how well it came up after a very methodical guy spent all day and i do mean all day working on it. Then, when it arrived in Australia we were told that the quarantine rules required the car to be cleaned and the cost would be $250. We showeed them the paperwork that confirmed we had already had the car totally cleaned inside and out and checked for any traces of soil or other vegetation etc. prior to putting inside a sealed container but it would appear that the UK cleaning products could not possibly do such a thorough job as the very special products that are used by the Australian "experts". So, we were left with no alternative but to pay over the money otherwise the car could not be released from the bonded warehouse.

The day we went to collect our car, I was surprised to see a thick layer of dust and sand completely covering the bodywork. I was even more surprised to find that the 2 batteries that I disconnected prior to shipping from the UK were still disconnected. Whilst waiting around for someone to help me jump start the car I was interested in watching a young lad who had been given the job of removing all the seeds, vegetation and other foreign matter that clearly infests cars coming into the country from abroad. Bearing in mind the incrediblle lengths that the quarantine department go to to explain how sensitive the australian flora and forna is to all forms of dust etc that may enter the airspace down under I was very curious to see what lengths they went to in order to protect their precious and unique plants and animals.

It would appear that a strandard garden hose attached to a regular tap and casualy sprinlkled over the paintwork would suffice with the 4 cars I watched passing through quarantine that day. Crucially, it would appear that the $250 per car was the significant factor dictating whether or not a car was going to pass inspection or not.

I hope this may be of interest to anyone out there looking to import their vehicle into the country.

This is interesting to hear as we are thinking about bringing our car to the Australia, well both of them. One of them is our classic car (TR7), but at the moment it is looking like the cost of bringing it out, would be more than the car is worth. As I am sure you all know rust is a bit of an issue so we are concerned about the bits of rust on it and if the Australian government will let her in.

I'm going through the process to, my car is due to leave a week monday and I'm taking it down to southampton on thursay. I'm using Iron chef as well but rather than use the household shippers I have used an contact of iron chef (seaway) and for the shipping costs alone I am saving about £1000 for my car and hubbys bike. It takes 36 days which is quicker as well, the only ball ache is the drive to port from wirral!

Our car is now at Brisbane and is being valued tomorrow so I should know how much taxes I need to pay very soon.

We're using an agent at this side to sort things for us Iron Chef Imports - Contact

I'll be updating my post here as I go on http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/reccie-arrival-reports/93867-our-australian-adventure-has-begun-3.html#post858877

Any questions just pm me

Howard

Hi PontePom

Many thanks for your reply, live in Brighouse!!!

Wozza

Guest Biker Dan

I'm gonna look in to taking my bike - it's nothing special and not worth a lot over here, but bike (and car) prices seem high in Oz - so it might work out worthwhile? :confused:

I was told by my agent to expect to have the car cleaned in Australia 99% of the time so I just cleaned the car myself with a high powered jetwash etc...

They said I could get the car proffessionally done but don't expect it to make any difference so decided against it.

I guess I'll find out soon as it's getting checked today...

Guest Antphoto

Hi All,

How much does this cost for the whole process of shipping a car please? I have a Mercedes SLK 230 convertible (9 years old) which I cannot sell here due to time of year. Can anyone advise what to do? Will I benefit value wise by taking it over to Oz?I am flying to Gold Coast end of October.

Thanks,

Ant

Any questions just pm me

Howard

Hi All,

How much does this cost for the whole process of shipping a car please? I have a Mercedes SLK 230 convertible (9 years old) which I cannot sell here due to time of year. Can anyone advise what to do? Will I benefit value wise by taking it over to Oz?I am flying to Gold Coast end of October.

Thanks,

Ant

Hi ant

I am in the process of shipping the exact same car and I think its worth it! Some of the costs aren't exact until you know customs fees etc but at a rough guess £4-5k which to me is worth it, with what I'd get from the sale and cost savings of not shipping I still wouldn't get the same car in Oz! I do have the advantage that it was an inheritance so cost me nothing to buy but I still think worth it!

I'm using a broker (kristian @iron chef) to deal with customs clearance etc for a £550fee plus about £500 for shipping, this is cheaper than household shippers quoted (£1900) and that didn't include compliance and registration so still would have had £550 fee. Kristian gave me a contact for shipping, mines going RO RO from southampton next monday and takes 36 days on sea and about 3 weeks to clear other end. Takes 8-12 weeks with household shippers. We're sending my car and hubbys bike and doing it this way has saved about £1000, only bad point is that we have to drive them to southampton from the wirral as pickup was £625 just for car!

You need to get a move on though, you need import permit and that can take a month or longer, you can save some time by faxing docs before posting. You need proof of intention to remain in OZ- perm visa, handed in notice, job in oz, accomodation and one way flight.

Hope that hepls. pm if you want contact details.

Rose