Awaiting for vetasses to return to the uk for practicals

leethesparks

Hi, Me my partner Lee (Electrcian) & our 3 children are in the process of moving to Perth we have just sent our paperwork off to vetasses & now waiting for thir return to uk to carry out practicals, does anyone have a rough idea when this may be? Also we were told by our agent when we 1st started off process the best visa for us to go would be a state sponser but now it seems this is in cat 2. We have family in Perth who would sponser us if need be, there are so many visa's im getting really confused :confused:. Also has anyone done the Gap training that is on offer in the uk & does this mean you get your A licence before you go to oz??

Any advice on anything would be a great help to me & my family :hug:

Not sure, BUMPING for you. Hubby is a mechanic, we did Vetassess theory, then practical, applied and received State Sponsorship for Victoria and then lodged our 176 Visa. As there are no SMPs from states at the mo and only one or two are accepting applications for State Sponsorship everyone is living in limbo.

You need to ask if anyone knows which sponsorship gets processed quicker, family or state. I do know, you can't lodge for the 176 without any form of sponsorship.

Sorry I could not help anymore, someone will be along shortly. Best wishes Ley x

p.s. there is a thread floating around for electricians, do a search on the forum.

Hi ya thanks for the advice feel like im in limbo at the momment aswell, really confused on here about everybodys slang for things what's a SMP? Thanks for the thread advice i got some good info off it :-) We are desp to get to perth (mandurah) we have family there & visited in march & fell in love :-) We are at the vetassess stage & hoping it all goes well, is the 176 visa a perm one? sorry to bombard you with questions xxxx

Hi,

The SMP's are State Migration Plans, these are roughly replacements for the old state sponsorship system. You are correct that if you nominated by a state on their migration plan you move into cat 2. Problem is that the migration plans have yet to be approved (each state lists those occupations they say the desperately need and the migration minister is going to have final say on whether they can have them), this approval has been delayed by the recent election and may not happen until next year!

To be honest you would be better off concetrating on the Vetasses now as the rules have changed so much in the last year that what holds true now probably won't in 6 months. As a fellow sparks I am applying this logic to my eventual licencing in Oz (visa application lodged and waiting in the queue). It's just too far away to bother getting to grips with current processes and procedures.

Perhaps the family sponsorship is the best way for you to go but I think you still have to have had a trade recognised/ assessed.

Goodluck

Yep, 176 is permanent visa and you have to gain SS (State Sponsorship) first before you lodge for this visa. I recommend what rinkerdink has posted concentrate on Vetassess first and then worry about sponsorship (but you are right to want to know the whole process just don't over worry too much).

DIAC is Department of Immigration & Citizenship, SS as above, SMP is State Migration Plan which we are all waiting for! and O/h is other half meaning partner/hubby/wife. There are other abbreviations, just ask away no one will think anything of it.

Ley x

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi, Me my partner Lee (Electrcian) & our 3 children are in the process of moving to Perth we have just sent our paperwork off to vetasses & now waiting for thir return to uk to carry out practicals, does anyone have a rough idea when this may be? Also we were told by our agent when we 1st started off process the best visa for us to go would be a state sponser but now it seems this is in cat 2. We have family in Perth who would sponser us if need be, there are so many visa's im getting really confused :confused:. Also has anyone done the Gap training that is on offer in the uk & does this mean you get your A licence before you go to oz??

Any advice on anything would be a great help to me & my family :hug:

Hi there Mrs Lee

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

The others are correct. You want to move to WA and WA do not accept applications for State sponsorship unless you have a positive skills assessment in your hand at the time when you apply for the State sponsorship. Please see the SMC website, below, and click on the link at the top right of the page, headed Skilled Migration:

State Migration Centre

At the moment, WA are not accepting any new applications for State sponsorship anyway because they have decided to close the doors to any new applicants until they can publish their State Migration Plan.

The idea of SMPs is brand new and the State Governments have been sworn to secrecy, firstly about the occupations that each SMP will contain and secondly about the details for a person like you who would almost certainly want to apply to WA for State sponsorship once the SMP has been published.

The reason for this is because if your occupation is on the SMP for WA and you have SS from WA then your visa application will be fast-tracked and should be processed within 18 months of submission.

If your visa application is family-sponsored instead then it will remain in Category 3, instead of moving up to Cat 2. Please send a completely blank e-mail to aspc.processing@immi.gov.au You will receive an auto-reply within about half an hour. The information in the information e-mail that you can get via ordering the e-mail is clearer about the business of priority processing categories than any other document that DIAC produces, so please get the e-mail.

Then please click on the link below:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/agents-information/91630-anticipated-general-skilled-migration-processing-times.html

Click on the link to the Client Service charter in George Lombard's thread above and it will all start to make sense to you.

You have to choose your sponsor before you can apply for your sc 176 application nowadays (since 1st July 2010.) With a State sponsor, this means that you have to get the State sponsorship before you apply for your visa because once the visa application is submitted, you have to produce proof of the State sponsorship offer within 30 days. The State Governments will not get involved in being pinned down by DIAC's arbitrary little new rule about this, so the visa applicant will just have to wait for the offer of SS to arrive before s/he can do anything about applying for a sc 176 visa.

Regardless of the identity of the sponsor, it is imperative that you have a positive skills assessment in your hand at the time when you apply for the visa. The visa application will be refused if the skills assessment is not lodged with it and if the visa application is refused, DIAC will keep the visa application charge that you have paid.

So your agents and the other posters on this thread are 100% right. Just concentrate on the skills assessment for the time being. With a bit of luck, WA will have published its SMP by the time Vetassess send confirmation of a positive skills assessment. Once you can see the occupations on the SMP, at that point you can make an intelligent, informed choice about whether to apply for State sponsorship or whether to run with a family sponsor instead.

With the Gap training, I suspect that it is a device for the trainers to make some money for themselves out of the cash cows called visa applicants, whom everybody tries to milk for money one way or another, I assure you. I've never come across a sparky who has done any gap training and I have never come across a British sparky who has failed to get a positive assessment from Vetassess either. The Cap training is solely a brush-up for the Vetassess practical. It does not provide any sort of licence for being a sparky in Oz.

Does this answer your questions, please?

Cheers

Gill

Guest NeilanGemz

Hi Guys

I've not long passed the vetassess practical assessment in Blackburn (May this year) I've decided to just go the 175 visa route and put my app in for that. Apparently it could take up to 3 years for it to be processed but luckily I'm in no mad rush to move as I'm just starting my electrical engineering degree at Stafford Uni.

I would say that the visa route which would be best would depend on how quickly you want to be over there, of course as with any sponsored visa, as far as I know you have to reside in the state which sponsors you for a minimum of 2 years, whereas the individual allows you freedom to explore.

Your hubby will have to pass the practical skills test no matter which PR visa you are intending to go out on, so that is the first stage, unfortunately vetassess decide on the dates when it suits them and from my experience change them after your booked, again to suit them (mine was brought forward 1 month which to be honest I preferred).

With regards to the A class license there seems to be a lot more involved than meets the eye, and it also depends on which state you are moving to. Your hubby can do a distance learning course from the UK and then sit the exams on your arrival in Oz, only problem is the only place that I know of which does this (which I am using) is located in Adelaide (Peer training). From what I hear on PIO the best route to the A grade license is via southern australia too. You are then able to transfer the license across to the appropriate state (not sure if this is still the case though). Most states issue the restricted license and you have to work on site for between 6 and 12 months as an electricians mate before you can apply for the A grade license (really annoying if as in my case you have been a fully qualified spark in the UK for over 12 years!!!).

I would just say that I would worry about the A grade license after or near to the end of the visa process as things are changing constantly, one day they are accepting visa apps, next day they aren't, next day the codes change, etc. etc.

From what I've experienced it really is a long winding road, but I'm sure it will most definately be worth it in the end :biggrin:

Regards

Neil

Would just like to thank everyone that has replied to my thread it has really helped me get my head around a few things i really apreciate it as even my agent seems a bit in limbo at the momment, how funny mahesh def think the boat idea may be the way forward :-) I will keep you updated on my progress, thanks again guys & gals :hug:

Would just like to thank everyone that has replied to my thread it has really helped me get my head around a few things i really apreciate it as even my agent seems a bit in limbo at the momment, how funny mahesh def think the boat idea may be the way forward :-) I will keep you updated on my progress, thanks again guys & gals :hug:

Hia my agent seems to think that the practicals could be in February, why she thinks that I don't know but hey ho !!!

:biglaugh:

Archived