Just Want To Share

Guest guest30038

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mikka711

Wow - I too welled up when I read the first post. Kev congratulations to you and Bridget for raising such a great young lad - you must totally be walking on air with all that he's achieved.

I wish Jake every success for the future, and if I can get my kids into an Oz school anywhere near as fab as Jake's one, I'll feel like I've won the Lotto!!

Best wishes:v_SPIN:

Guest guest30038
Hi Kev,

Would you happen to know if this type of job or funding is available Australia wide? My son is 15 and sounds a lot like yours.

I can guess how much you worry Paul. Once he hits grade 10, the school should be on his case though, looking for vocational courses. The red cross offers lots of support and you can ask the school to approach them.:

Australian Red Cross

There's also centrelink: Disability Employment Assistance Services

Uniting Care: UnitingCare Disability - Home

There's many other charities that help wiith employment but I only have details for Qld

kev

• 4 years later...
Hi Kev,

Would you happen to know if this type of job or funding is available Australia wide? My son is 15 and sounds a lot like yours.

I've recently been with him on a school camp and he surprised me and some of the teachers how organised he was and seemed to be helping a few of the other kids too.

The school he attends have been great and he enjoys going. They have a program for kids with "learning difficulties" and he tends to hang around with what the other kids would call a bunch of geeks. They don't mean it nastily however and he gets loads of support from most of the kids there and has a great circle of friends.

We worry, a lot like you I guess, what he can possibly do when he leaves school.

Hi Paul1Perth

I know its a while since this thread was active but I have been searching for schools in Perth that could offer my son some learning support but finding it very difficult to find any information online. My son was born in Australia and was at school there until he was 8 but we returned to the U.K due to family and also schooling. He is very high functioning autistic (Semantic Pragmatic Disorder) with average/above intelligence but just requires a little help socially. The school your son went to sounded like the type of place I am looking for. Mainstream school with learning support. Would you be able to tell me the name of the school to give me some kind of starting point as we would really like to return to Australia but it is just the schooling issue? Thanks

I know its a while since this thread was active but I have been searching for schools in Australia that could offer my son some learning support but finding it very difficult to find any information online. My son was born in Australia and was at school there until he was 8 but we returned to the U.K due to family and also schooling. He is very high functioning autistic (Semantic Pragmatic Disorder) with average/above intelligence but just requires a little help socially. The school your son went to sounded like the type of place I am looking for. Mainstream school with learning support. Would you be able to tell me the name of the school to give me some kind of starting point as we would really like to return to Australia but it is just the schooling issue? Thanks

Archived