and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest physiomitch

Banking with NAB

Guest physiomitch

Hi

Just seen the ad on this site for banking with NAB. Has anyone had experience of using them to open an account before going to Oz?

Thanks

I've opened one. (haven't got to Oz to activate it yet). Everyone I've dealt with in the UK based migrant banking team has proved to be friendly and professional. :o)

NAB is one of the big four.

I opened an account with NAB in Australia when I got there for first entry. All you need is a passport to prove identity.

Remember most banks in Australia have a monthly charge to maintain even the most basic of accounts but NAB did not have this charge :) Some will waive it, provided a certain amount is paid in every month.

I'm back for a friend: 175 Independent Priority Cat 3 (pre July '11), Cat 4 (post July '11) : On-line 26-Feb-11 | March '11 email asks Meds & PCC | All sent | She got visa on 28-10-11| Me: 176 family | On-line 24-10-09 | CO 11-11-09 | Grant: 22-01-10.

Guest pinksuedeshoes

We opened our account with NAB before we left.

We were contacted by the branch closest to where we told them we would be living via email to arrange an appointment for when we arrived, at which point we were able to collect our cards etc...

Really easy and they were so friendly and welcoming.

Ask about being logged on for internet banking too, as we forgot and its much easier than going in all the time!

You will probably want to do what we were advised to do though, and open another account with them once you have settled that gives you a Visa Debit card, as the card is only an EFTPOS card and you can't do any online shopping with it and the rate of interest on the account is not as good.

Hope that helps.

Guest physiomitch
We opened our account with NAB before we left.

We were contacted by the branch closest to where we told them we would be living via email to arrange an appointment for when we arrived, at which point we were able to collect our cards etc...

Really easy and they were so friendly and welcoming.

Ask about being logged on for internet banking too, as we forgot and its much easier than going in all the time!

You will probably want to do what we were advised to do though, and open another account with them once you have settled that gives you a Visa Debit card, as the card is only an EFTPOS card and you can't do any online shopping with it and the rate of interest on the account is not as good.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. Can I take it they do not give you the option of opening an account for a debit card initially, just the EFTPOS card? Sort of like UK with the solo card, then you upgrade to debit cards. Thanks

Guest pinksuedeshoes

The EFTPOS card can be used in all shops that take cards (chip & pin) and cash machines. I could be wrong being quite new here, but it was only the online stuff that the card was not able to be used for.

The account they set you up can still be used for direct debits etc...

I think it is a standard account they use for migrant banking, but I am sure they would set you up the visa debit account as soon as you had your appointment if you asked. The cards came in the post within a week- depends how desperate you are to internet shop when you get here!!

Guest shuffers

We opened our NAB account on line in the UK and picked our cards up when we arrived for a 3 week reccie visit after transferring our "holiday fund" to it via Moneycorp - thought this was safer than carrying large amounts of AUD around. The standard account you open on line only gives you the cashcard. Our bank manager changed our account over while we were there to the debit card facility and our new cards were ready within 5 working days. Great service so far and you can use NAB and Readi ATM's without any charge.

NAB's everyday accounts do come with a Visa Debit Card at no cost.

Suggest you check out NAB - National Australia Bank which has all the details.

If you have savings you might consider opening a uBank Usaver account which pays interest of 6.01% or 6.51% if you set up a plan to transfer $200 to it monthly.

UBank is an new online bank set up and owned by NAB. http://www.ubank.com.au

I want it all, and I want it now.

Only comment I can make is that we have been with NAB for over 35 years now and have never thought of changing banks.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Guest physiomitch

Hi

Thanks very much everyone for the great answers, certainly more positive about opening an account with them before we leave.

Now just have to sell my business and off we go, hope to be there before Christmas

Best regards