26 Female moving to Sydney October '10 looking to meet people!

Guest Ellie84

Hello everyone!

:)

I'm a 26 year old female Environmental Consultant and I'm going to be moving to Sydney (from Manchester) at the end of October.

I'm really, really excited about coming over but I don't know anyone in Sydney, and as I'm coming over by myself I thought I'd post a quickmessage to try get to know a few people for when I get there!

I’m easy-going and I love reading, films, theatre, cooking (and eating!), arts and crafts, music, walking, having a good old chat over a glass of wine and loads of other things!

I'm looking forward to getting out there and discovering the city and the people who live there, so please get in touvh if you can help :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope to hear from you soon,

Ellie

Hi Ellie,

we are moving to sydney but not quite yet. Hope you have a fab time, i'm sure someone will be along soon who is already there. Where abouts are you headed in Sydney, I know there are regular meet ups look on the NSW section.

Have a fab new life, all the very best Metoo

Guest hayleyasm

Hi Ellie,

Im a 24 year old zoologist, I have been in Oz for 4 weeks now, im lucky as I have a cousin my age here but im looking to meet people too. let me know when you have arrived and we could get a coffee?

Hayley x

Hi Ellie,

we are moving to sydney but not quite yet. Hope you have a fab time, i'm sure someone will be along soon who is already there. Where abouts are you headed in Sydney, I know there are regular meet ups look on the NSW section.

Have a fab new life, all the very best Metoo

Hello Metoo!

Thank you for your message, was lovely of you! :)

Not too sure where in Sydney I'm going to live yet but will be working on Market Street near Harbour Bridge so hopefully somewhere not too far from there as I have to start work at 8 in the morning!

Good luck with your move too! Let me know when you get there and how you get on! Hopefully then I'll be able to navigate my way around and might be able to show you some good places to go too! :)

x x

Hi Ellie,

Im a 24 year old zoologist, I have been in Oz for 4 weeks now, im lucky as I have a cousin my age here but im looking to meet people too. let me know when you have arrived and we could get a coffee?

Hayley x

Hi Hayley! :)

Wow! Your job sounds amazing! I've done a bit of work at Chester Zoo (drilling and done a few bat surveys there too) but that's about as close to zoology I've ever got!

I'd love to meet up :) I should be arriving at the end of October, but have no definate date yet. Will let you know as soon as my confirmation comes through though.

How've you found Sydney anyway?

Ellie x

Hi Ellie,

I'm pretty much in the same position!

My name is Roland, I'm 30 and I'm moving to Australia in November initially to Perth to meet a friend but then I think my ultimate destination shall be Sydney. I should be arriving at the start of December but not knowing many people there, it would be great to meet new people over there.

I'll let you know when I get over to Sydney.

Best of luck with the move and the start of your new life in Oz!

Roland

Hello Roland! :hug:

Would love to meet up! Hopefully by December I will have found my Syndey feet too so I should be able to help you find your way around too! A lovely lady on this forum (which I find strangely addictive!) also gave me the name of a Facebook Group called 'Pommies in Sydney' which might also help you out when you get to Syndey.

Anyway, just give me a bell when you know you'll be coming over and GOOD LUCK! :smile:

Ellie

Heheh yeh you can show me the ropes as I'm sure you'll know where's go out in Sydney by then!

I'm on that Pommies in Sydney group now so I'll post a message when I get to Sydney.

Cheers Ellie, see in December!

• 3 years later...

Hi Hayley,

I understand that this post was from a long time ago, but I am also a zoologist currently situated in Sydney. I was just wondering if you have much luck on the job front? (assuming you have/ were looking for work?) or any advice in gaining employment in our sector over here? many thanks.

Guest hayleyasm

Hi Loz,

I actually have struggled on the job front as I didn't have enough experience to go into consulting and the market is pretty competitive. I have ended up at the University of Sydney doing my masters part-time to allow me to meet some contacts and network.

Because it’s such a small world here, what seems to happen is that many people get warm introductions or recommendations into a role.

Australia seems very Who you know as much as What you know, and I have met several people who have done their undergrad, masters, PhD and Post doc in the same University or Lab, Students here tend to go to University in their local town and commute.

I did do some volunteering with conservation volunteers Australia that introduced me to some people. (And was lots of fun)

What kind of roles are you looking for?

Sorry to not be more help

Hayley

Hi Hayley,

I understand that this post was from a long time ago, but I am also a zoologist currently situated in Sydney. I was just wondering if you have much luck on the job front? (assuming you have/ were looking for work?) or any advice in gaining employment in our sector over here? many thanks.

Hi everyone,

I'm Steph I'm 27 from Liverpool and have just moved to Sydney from Perth. Really like it here so far and have some friends here from home but would like to meet some new people too :)

I love music, eating, cooking, walking, cinema, shopping pretty much everything really!

Hope to hear from you soon

Steph

Hi Loz,

I actually have struggled on the job front as I didn't have enough experience to go into consulting and the market is pretty competitive. I have ended up at the University of Sydney doing my masters part-time to allow me to meet some contacts and network.

Because it’s such a small world here, what seems to happen is that many people get warm introductions or recommendations into a role.

Australia seems very Who you know as much as What you know, and I have met several people who have done their undergrad, masters, PhD and Post doc in the same University or Lab, Students here tend to go to University in their local town and commute.

I did do some volunteering with conservation volunteers Australia that introduced me to some people. (And was lots of fun)

What kind of roles are you looking for?

Sorry to not be more help

Hayley