Possibly being made redundant on 857 RSMS! (visa was only granted 3wks ago) HELP!

Guest Janner

Hiya, this is my first post on here but i have been a serious lurker over the past year or so whilst trying to sort out mine and my partners rsms 857 visa. This forum has been a goldmine of information.

My partner and i have recently (3 weeks ago) been granted permanent residency on an 857 rsms visa (i am an arborist or tree surgeon in WA), i was previously working for my employer for 6 months on a working holiday visa. However, work has seriously slowed down the past couple of months and the boss is starting looking at downsizing. This is exactly what happened to me in the UK and made me come over here in the first place!!

From what i have read and understand so far, if i am made redundant on the RSMS i am to find work within the same industry in a regional part of australia. The problem being that arborist work is very slow throughout regional WA at the minute. There is however still arborist jobs in Perth. What am i supposed to do if i can't find a job in the same industry in regional WA?! can i apply for jobs in different industrys whilst still staying in regional WA?

I feel pretty screwed at the minute to be honest. The mrs and i were feeling really settled where we are at the minute having joined clubs and become part of the community. If anybody can offer any advice it's greatly appreciated.

Guest Gollywobbler
Hiya, this is my first post on here but i have been a serious lurker over the past year or so whilst trying to sort out mine and my partners rsms 857 visa. This forum has been a goldmine of information.

My partner and i have recently (3 weeks ago) been granted permanent residency on an 857 rsms visa (i am an arborist or tree surgeon in WA), i was previously working for my employer for 6 months on a working holiday visa. However, work has seriously slowed down the past couple of months and the boss is starting looking at downsizing. This is exactly what happened to me in the UK and made me come over here in the first place!!

From what i have read and understand so far, if i am made redundant on the RSMS i am to find work within the same industry in a regional part of australia. The problem being that arborist work is very slow throughout regional WA at the minute. There is however still arborist jobs in Perth. What am i supposed to do if i can't find a job in the same industry in regional WA?! can i apply for jobs in different industrys whilst still staying in regional WA?

I feel pretty screwed at the minute to be honest. The mrs and i were feeling really settled where we are at the minute having joined clubs and become part of the community. If anybody can offer any advice it's greatly appreciated.

Hi Janner

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

There is no hard & fast rule about where you should work or what you should do if teh employer pulls the plug. The main thing is to ensure that DIAC understand that the employer pulled the plug, not the RSMS visa holder. There is little or nothing that an RSMS visa holder can do to prevent the employer from terminating the employment.

Libby Hogarth is a very experienced, very well respected Registered Migration Agent who is based in Adelaide. Please see the post below, which Libby made a couple of days ago:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/agents-information/94808-rsms-visa-cancellations.html

I echo Libby in suggesting that you should contact an experienced registered migration agent and in this situation, Libby Hogarth would probably be my own first choice. I would suggest talking the whole thing over with her.

Cheers

Gill

Archived