Guest johnnybgood

Maternity benefits on a 457 visa?

Guest johnnybgood

My wife and I moved to Melbourne almost 1 year ago and we would like to start a family. However, we are unsure about what maternity benefits we would be entitled, if any.

I know that my wife will not get paid maternity leave but will be entitled to up to 12 months of unpaid leave.

We are aware that there is a proposal to bring in 18 weeks paid maternity leave as standard at the minimum pay level, something like 500 per week. We understand that this is likely to come into affect sometime in 2011.

What we don't know is:

- are we entitled to this because we are not residents?

- are we entitled to the government's 5-6,000 baby bonus (now paid in installments)?

- are there other benefits which we are not entitled to because we are non-residents?

Has anyone any experience with this issue? If so, what would you recommend?

Is it worth applying for residency and will this mean giving up the LAFHA?

Thanks in advance!

J

I dont think you will be entitled to anything at all from a quick perusal of the Centrelink payments site Parent or guardian

If your wife is the 457 visa holder I am not too sure that her employer would be that enamoured of her taking a year off on leave without pay.

No, you wont get the paid parental leave either Family Assistance Office | Residency Requirements - General

One thing that really gets Aussies going is these sorts of posts where people from another country come and then want all the benefits that they have not paid for. One of the biggest downers for immigrants being accepted. There are certain lot of people that always seem to get the benefits and I thought the UK people would understand how locals feel. However it seems that no difference between people wherever they come from they always want something for nothing.

Tax provides us with hospitals roads and a fairly decent way of life and should not be providing perks.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Guest johnnybgood
One thing that really gets Aussies going is these sorts of posts where people from another country come and then want all the benefits that they have not paid for. One of the biggest downers for immigrants being accepted. There are certain lot of people that always seem to get the benefits and I thought the UK people would understand how locals feel. However it seems that no difference between people wherever they come from they always want something for nothing.

Tax provides us with hospitals roads and a fairly decent way of life and should not be providing perks.

I find your reply insulting! First of all I was transferred to Australia by my employer to fill a skills gap in the company which couldn't be filled nationally. In doing so I do not see why I should loose assistance which is afforded to nationals in terms of maternity benefits.

My wife and I would have to live on one salary for at least 9 months. We are already disadvantaged in that we have no relatives here to assist with a new baby.

My wife and are paying our taxes just like everyone else. We paid our taxes in our countries of birth and now will not be there to benefit from our contribution.

I simply asked a question. I did not infer that I was intitled or looking for a handout and I didn't complain when the question was answered. You have assumed this and then felt the need to display your incredible ignorance.

In the EU we have freedom of movement. We signed up to this and in doing so accepted that benefits provided in our country would be available to any EU national wishing to live and work in our country. We did not take a racist and ignorant position like some people clearly do.

My wife and I moved to Melbourne almost 1 year ago and we would like to start a family. However, we are unsure about what maternity benefits we would be entitled, if any.

I know that my wife will not get paid maternity leave but will be entitled to up to 12 months of unpaid leave.

We are aware that there is a proposal to bring in 18 weeks paid maternity leave as standard at the minimum pay level, something like 500 per week. We understand that this is likely to come into affect sometime in 2011.

What we don't know is:

- are we entitled to the government's 5-6,000 baby bonus (now paid in installments)?

- are there other benefits which we are not entitled to because we are non-residents?

Thanks in advance!

J

I afraid that 457 holders get didly squat and yes you lose your LAFHA as soon as you apply for PR.

Guest TheGillams

Also have a look at the healthcare arrangements too. I know that when we applied for our 457 we needed to have private healthcare and some of them had a 2 year waiting period of pregnancy and childbirth. I also understand from what I have read that Medicare will only provide you with emergency care, so you will have to pay for any scans and non essential treatment. I think the birth and medically necessary things would be covered by medicare.

We are in a similar position in that we have just got married, are being transferred by my husband's job because of a lack of skills in his industry (on a 457), and also want to plan for children soon. However, I think we have decided to wait until we have PR before we start trying.

I find comments like the ones posted upsetting as we are only trying to get on with our lives whilst fulfilling a need in the Australian job market. We do not expect payouts, but also have to do the best for our families. I can understand why such comments are made, but if it was all about the money and benefits we would move back to the UK where the maternity benefits are quite generous. I am sure there are plenty of Australians that have moved to the UK and now benefit from our healthcare and maternity benefits, so it is all swings and roundabouts.

Good luck anyway.

Yvette

In defence of the OP, maternity pay is met by the employer and not the taxpayer. Even the UKs generous system the employer pays (the employer gets some of it back as NI reduction to HMRC).

Guest Hearne_Family

What we don't know is:

Thanks in advance!

J

Hi J,

We are in Melbourne on a 457 and 8 weeks ago became parents for the 3rd time (our 1st here) pretty much all of the advice you have been given here - bar one! - is pretty much spot on, medicare will cover pretty much everything, we paid for the 12 week scan. The 1st lot of blood tests were also paid for by us but we did get a medicare rebate on that. I think the scan was approx $180. I believe it will depend on what part of Melbourne you are in.

The baby will be born a British citizen, they will get a Victorian birth certificate, once you have this you then apply for a British passport (paper application dealt with in NZ, with a cost of $200) once you have the passport you then fill in form 1066 (I believe thats the right one) to add them to your 457 visa.

If you want anymore advice about this just drop us a PM.

Good luck with it all.

Terry.

What we don't know is:

Thanks in advance!

J

I don't think you are entitled any of the family tax benefits or the baby bonus, because you're not residents.

I also think your wife is lucky if she gets 12 months unpaid maternity leave from her employer on a temporary visa.

By the way, maternity leave here is at the employers discretion and not a statutory right at the moment.

Guest girlwizz99

Just read up on this and I am also pretty certain you would not be entitled to anything on a temporary residence visa. You can get a medicare card as a temporary resident but it doesn't cover long term ailments. For instance, my partner needs a C Pap - snoring machine - for sleep apnea and we are facing a $4000 bill for his sleep study and treatment. I don't see why you should get maternity benefits - which basically is self induced rather than an illness... Unfortunately when you come over on temporary residency you accept you will be a bit of a 2nd class citizen until you get PR .

Guest vixen29

Hey J,

Just a thought, are you still paying tax in any way back in the UK? I'm not sure how this would work but may be able to claim on that basis from the UK? Maybe a mortgage etc.

Worth looking into? It would seem unfair to pay in to the system for years and to ocntinue doing so but be entitled to nothing (but may be the case!).

We are in a similar predicament and have decided to hold of for a while on trying.

E

As a temp resident I am sure you can get a medicare card so should be covered. I had one when I was on a 457 - then they ungraded it to a full green one when I became a PR. Good luck and hope everything works out for you.