9/11, And The 'Impression' It 'May' Have Left.

Guest guest37336

Guest guest37336
Recently my nephew married a Japanese girl. As some of you know there are some sensitivities amongst the older generation of Australians who lived through WW2 regarding the Japanese. One elderly family member refused to attend the wedding, and it was about WW2 memories where the family member had friends in the Pow camps. We said to him that you cannot hold the people of today responsible for the actions of their forefathers, but he would not go to that wedding. Old memories die hard.

Hi Olly.

That was the point I was trying to make in a roundabout kind of way. The Japanese can in no way be blamed for what a few did, BUT, some peoples experience will inevitably lead to misconceptions that we cannot understand because we have very different experiences.

Cheers Tony.

Hi Olly.

That was the point I was trying to make in a roundabout kind of way. The Japanese can in no way be blamed for what a few did, BUT, some peoples experience will inevitably lead to misconceptions that we cannot understand because we have very different experiences.

Cheers Tony.

True Tony, it is hard to change deepseated misconceptions, they last for generations, as they have in my family - my great grandparents were from Ireland (Nth) and there have been some sensitivities with political and religious views between family members which I grew up with, which have been going on for 60 years. They were subtle in some ways, but they were there. I said to my mother I didn't want to hear about it anymore, but she never let it go till the day she died.

Archived