Packaging Question- Help!

emmaroo

We are starting the packing up of the house at the weekend in order to move in to in- laws in a few weeks.

I have got bubble wrap and stuff to wrap up pics and breakables, but my question is when the removal company come to collect boxes to ship will they re-pack things?

Thanks

Emma

Hi Emma, not sure of this will help or not, suppose it depends on if you are doing all the packing or the company are doing the packing, but anyway when we moved over to Melbourne we used Pickfords and they were doing the packing (wouldnt use them again, infact didnt, we used OSS when we came back) but I had some boxes already packed which had been in the loft and they unpacked them and then repacked them into their boxes.

Lorna

Hi Emma, not sure of this will help or not, suppose it depends on if you are doing all the packing or the company are doing the packing, but anyway when we moved over to Melbourne we used Pickfords and they were doing the packing (wouldnt use them again, infact didnt, we used OSS when we came back) but I had some boxes already packed which had been in the loft and they unpacked them and then repacked them into their boxes.

Lorna

Hi

Thanks for that. I thought they might re pack which is why I asked as I don't want to spend ages packing stuff up if its going to all get re done!

Emma

Hi guys

We are trying to get things sorted for my family to join me in feb. So looking at moving companies.

We have bought boxes and packing stuff, but am I right in thinking we dont actually do anything and the movers come to the house and take all your things and pack themselves?

Apart from cleaning what should we do to prepare?

Or do we not touch a thing and let them come in and take the lot?

We wanted to have full insurance on the items we shipped and a condition of this was that they'd only take responsibility for items they packed themselves. Our situation was further complicated by the fact that we placed the stuff we were shipping into storage for several months before we emigrated to do a round-Britain farewell tour.

In the end, the guys that did the packing took a sensible approach--they checked our boxes and, if it was things like books, they'd just put their own tape over the box to signify they'd packed it for insurance purposes. However, anything fragile they actually repacked their way--and did it faster and better than we ever could have. In the end, we had one wine glass broken and the glass in two picture frames cracked. Everything else was perfect.

Bob

Archived