Relocating to Melbourne soon.....

Guest Bettie

Hello, I currently live in tamworth in the UK. My husband works for AECOM and has just got a job which will be in Melbourne.

Not sure where to live in Melbourne.....need a garden though, don't want to live anywhere rough, we've been checking out crime rates for all areas in Melbourne. Is Glen Eira ok??? seems to be, but does anyone live there?

We have no leaving dates yet, but his work is sorting everything out. I keep feeling a bit nervous about the whole thing but I suppose that's only natural.

We have a 19 month old girl, who I hope to put in to nursery after a couple of months as I hope to find work on a part-time basis, hopefully with the police.

I really up for a new change, my husbands visa is for 4 years, I will rent my gaff out, so if we don't like it we can come back, but hopefully it will be a good crack.

I have travelled round Oz back in '99, but this will be a lot different.

Hello to any new people, speak to you soon:wacko:

Glen Eira is a nice suburb its next to Elwood, Elsternwick, Caulfield and Balaclava and is very popular with the Jewish community here in Melbourne It consists of a lot of apartments and the houses are quite expensive, depends how much rent you want to pay but not cheap in any of these areas. We used to live in Caulfield South which is just next door really and we liked it a lot. Very handy for everything.

Have a look at realestate.com.au and domain.com.au for rentals and it will give you an idea of what you will have to pay.

A lot of the Brits who work in Melbourne city now seem to be choosing to settle in areas like Port Cook which has a lot of new housing for rent and sale and its not a long commute to the city. Probably cheaper than Glen Eira.

Glen Eira the property is old as are the apartments.

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lisa in Melbourne

Hi Bettie - lots of British mums in the Mordialloc area. Lovely beaches, relaxed area.

Wherever you are, the best place to make friends when you've got a kid is at the local playground - especially in the winter, because you can be sure that the only other people outside in what the Aussies call 'freezing' weather are the Brits!!!

Good luck.

L

Archived