Its Labor again

rgrangana

Canberra — The Associated Press Published on Tuesday, Sep. 07, 2010 12:49AM EDT Last updated on Tuesday, Sep. 07, 2010 1:54AM EDT

Prime Minister Julia Gillard's Labor Party will form a minority government to rule Australia after two independent lawmakers decided to back her coalition.

The decision announced Tuesday by Tony Windsor and Robb Oakeshott gives Gillard's party control of 76 seats in the 150-seat House of Representatives. The conservative opposition controls 74 seats.

Earlier Tuesday, Bob Katter, one of Australia's kingmaker independent lawmakers, said he would support opposition leader Tony Abbott's conservative coalition after inconclusive elections, bringing the conservatives closer to forming a minority government.

The Aug. 21 federal elections failed to deliver any party a majority for the first time since 1940.

Labor has ruled for the past three years and remains in control of a caretaker government.

At least the waiting is over, well this part of the waiting anyway.

John

I wouldn't count on it, Jodie ...

The dynamics of a Government that has to accommodate the wishes of the Greens and 3 independent MPs is not the same as one that governs in its own right.

Best regards.

I agree... with so many minds working in different directions, I wonder how long this is going to last !

I see what you mean guys! It's sort of working in the UK but perhaps it's because the libs are one party!

An Ozzie newspaper reviewer just commented on sky news that nothing will happen in oz for 3 years and nothing new will be passed through parliament!

I hope the above paragraph makes sense,I know very little about polictics!

I foresee a changed emphasis in the skilled migration program such that migrants are encouraged to move to regional Australia.

Application for the grants of subclass 475 visas might (say) be given top priority (with a re-designation of what is "regional" Australia), together with suitable "incentives" for studying in regional Uni's and TAFEs.

Best regards.

Well all these delays are good news for cat 3s but bad news for those in cat 4 and those waiting to lodge a SS with their preferred state! I can't imagine they will accept new applications whilst things are still unclear.

I foresee a changed emphasis in the skilled migration program such that migrants are encouraged to move to regional Australia.

Application for the grants of subclass 475 visas might (say) be given top priority (with a re-designation of what is "regional" Australia), together with suitable "incentives" for studying in regional Uni's and TAFEs.

Best regards.

Hi Alan,

Thats exactly what we have done in the past 2 weeks. We have contacted a lot of businesses for sponsorship through a 457 temporary visa in regional Australia and run it along side our 176SS. At least we will be able to get to Australia quicker this way. We are also awaiting a decision from a prospective employer at the moment, so fingers crossed.

John

Hopefully a new Immigration Minister is on the cards..... A fair one....

One that says "It was a little unfair to change the order so we are going to change the order back to what it was prior September 2009 and lets honor those with SS already and almost certainly those applications already lodged should receive priority over those not yet lodged.

Just an afterthought. I wonder if there will be any current PIOs who have stated that retrospective action is fair as it suits Australia get a letter from the revenue today asking for retrospective tax payments then come on and say how unfair it is when they have already paid and that they shouldnt be effected by this....

Watch this space !!

Best regards.

Well I hope this doesn't happen! There are approx 50 jobs for air conditioning engineers in the Perth metro area, I can't imagine they would change the process that much. There are only a few in regional areas so I think the real need is for the Perth metro area.

I can understand this working for people who are a cat 4. A visa grant is better than the uncertainty for cat 4s.

Well I hope this doesn't happen! There are approx 50 jobs for air conditioning engineers in the Perth metro area, I can't imagine they would change the process that much. There are only a few in regional areas so I think the real need is for the Perth metro area.

I can understand this working for people who are a cat 4. A visa grant is better than the uncertainty for cat 4s.

Hi Jodie,

We were in the same boat as yourself except my OH is a Cook, but we decided to go for a 457 to run alongside our 176 SS. It just gives us more opportunity to get to Australia quicker.

John

John alan commented on a 475 regional visa and you are talking about a 457 job sponsored. Keep plugging away at the 457 route! Richards own company wouldn't even sponsor him so after all the knock backs and negativity from job agencies we are now just waiting! We are lucky to be a cat 3 and I'm feeling positive that our 175 or 176 will get us our visa within the next few months!

John what do you think will happen with this coalition government? Do you think anything will be done regarding SMPs??

John alan commented on a 475 regional visa and you are talking about a 457 job sponsored. Keep plugging away at the 457 route! Richards own company wouldn't even sponsor him so after all the knock backs and negativity from job agencies we are now just waiting! We are lucky to be a cat 3 and I'm feeling positive that our 175 or 176 will get us our visa within the next few months!

John what do you think will happen with this coalition government? Do you think anything will be done regarding SMPs??

Hi Jodie,

After reading a good few articles regarding what might happen with the new coalition government and speaking to colleagues in Australia today, I think that the focus may be towards giving the regional areas priority when it comes to a lot of things. As far as the SMP's go. I think that it will be sorted out reasonably quickly, well at least quicker than the Libs would have done it. I read on TheWest.com today that as soon as Julia Gillard meets with the Govener General today, she expects the government to come out of the caretaker mode, so that once she forms her government, she may be able to get the ball rolling on a few issues or possibly continue on the road things were already going. In my personal opinion, I dont see much happeneing on the SMP front until near the end of 2010. This is only because I think there WILL be a new minister for Immigration and he or she WILL want to put their mark on the way things are done.

I still think the outcome will be very positive for all of us waiting patiently and I also think there will be a greater emphasis on Regional Australia.

Hope this helps,

John:hug:

Thanks for that John.

We would be worse off if it did turn out like that-regional?! There is not enough jobs regional as Richards work is mainly in large offices and buildings that are in larger areas. That isn't the way to get some skilled workers to oz.

Guest VickyMel

Hopefully the states will start screaming again. They can't be too pleased that the skills they are after have been put on hold yet again.

It seems like the skills that the states say they urgently need have been on hold for almost a year now (Sept 23rd 2009) maybe they can change things and up the prioority of SS again just so the states can get some of the people they wanted.

Hehe - OK so I am just wishful thinking here!!!

VickyMel

Guest VickyMel

As with us - the skills we have - and the skills the state said they wanted are really geared to the larger cities/towns.

We would happily work in a regional area - but would possibly not be able to use the skills that Oz was wanting us to come in with and use if we lived there...

Vickymel

Guest Grace Bay

I just feel like I'm in limbo...trying to look ahead here in the UK, but how far ahead do you look??

We are awaiting the SMP's like many others and until then we have no idea where abouts in OZ we will end up, its a nightmare trying to research states/suburbs/schools/job prospects when you have no idea whats going to happen.

I just hope this government allows the states to impliment their plans soon, there is obviously a need for skilled migrants.

Not sure what I think about the prospect of regional influence on immigration!!

I feel it may suit some occupations, but others prosper more in cities. When you consider the infrastructure of the UK, I couldn't necessarily see the likes of an Air Con engineer making much of a living in the Outer Hebrides as opposed to a city with offices/hospitals/shopping centres etc!!!

Hope things get moving soon...:rolleyes:

Hi Grace bay,

I with you-regionally it wouldn't work for air con engineers! I'm feeling a little disheartened by all of this now. I certainly wouldn't pay another fee to change to a 475!

I thought being in cat 3 was a great position to be in. Perhaps only a few more months of waiting for a CO?! I don't know now?!

Hi Grace bay,

I with you-regionally it wouldn't work for air con engineers! I'm feeling a little disheartened by all of this now. I certainly wouldn't pay another fee to change to a 475!

I thought being in cat 3 was a great position to be in. Perhaps only a few more months of waiting for a CO?! I don't know now?!

Hi Jodie,

Dont get too disheartened. Some employers would pay the 457 fees for you and at the end of the day a 457 application fee is only about $300. I still have it on great authority that the states will still honour the sponsorship they gave everyone and that they will still be pushing the Government to help them fill these occupations. The ball just needs a little push and then I think it may start to roll quite quickly.

The states still need our skills and just because an election has taken place doesnt mean the need has gone away. It has only become a greater need.

Hope this helps Jodie,

John

Guest dragsterwish
Hi Jodie,

Dont get too disheartened. Some employers would pay the 457 fees for you and at the end of the day a 457 application fee is only about $300. I still have it on great authority that the states will still honour the sponsorship they gave everyone and that they will still be pushing the Government to help them fill these occupations. The ball just needs a little push and then I think it may start to roll quite quickly.

The states still need our skills and just because an election has taken place doesnt mean the need has gone away. It has only become a greater need.

Hope this helps Jodie,

John

Hi John,

Yeah, i believe that with the election settled, the players should go back to the field and start kicking the ball. Anyway, i'm glad to see the someone from WA is highlighting this issue immediately after the Election result:

"WA miners in dash to Canberra

WA Chamber of Commerce and Industry chief executive James Pearson called for the dumping of the MRRT ahead of a proposed tax summit, as a show of good faith.

Mr Pearson also said it was time to tackle labour shortages through a stronger immigration program in Western Australia, among other initiatives.

WA Colin Barnett Reaction To Labor Win | Mining Tax

Hi john I don't hold no hope of getting a 457. Richards current company have an office in Perth and they won't even consider employing him the visa route way but would of gave him a job in June if he could of got to Perth in 6 weeks off his own back! We've had enough if the knockbacks about ENSs 121 and 457s.

If the government want to get more people through the RMS 475 than that would incur another visa charge. A 457 is a job sponsored visa not a regional visa.