Motor Mechanic Employer Sponsorship

redrobbersdog

Hi, my hubby and I are waiting for WA to open so that we can hopefully apply for state sponsorship. With the uncertainty when this will happen we are looking at possible employer sponsorship. My hubby has successfully completed his VETASSESS and we are attending the DIAC EXPO next weekend.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to go about approaching employers for sponsorship. Is there a website anywhere that details businessess which will sponsor?

We have written to Audi Australia because my hubby works for Audi but have had no response. :wacko:

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Dawn

Guest PasonJayne

I would be interested in this topic as well as in similar position. Passed Skills Assessment Nov 2009, 175 Visa Lodged Dec 2009. SS successful for Victoria Feb 2010 and now waiting. Currently at Priority 3 as on SOL cat 3 and if profession on SMP should be moved up to priority 2. With everything taking so long and dragging on and on now thinking of heading out to Oz to find a sponsor.

I am in the same frame of mind as you redrobbersdog. Ideally i would want temporary sponsorship until 176 is granted but would be interested to see if any others have approached potential sponsors from within the UK or landed out in OZ and done the rounds as such.

If approaching potential employers with an attractive proposition of work would help, ie Offer them skillsets and areas of expertise they may not already have.

Be interested to know who may have done this already.

Hi

The best way to approach companys is in person ,this way you cant be ignored or fobbed off and have the opurtunity to sell yourself face to face. This is obviously hard if your not here and can't afford a reccie.

The next best way is to stay up late one night and ring around as many companys as you can. You should be able to get a list of garages and main dealers via the White Pages directory on line. E-mails are often ignored and your lucky to even get a reply most of the time.

Good Luck and i hope this helps a little

Cal x

If you were going to come and planned on job hunting bear in mind lots of garages close down over xmas . When we arrived my hubby just drove and drove calling into all the garages he thought may do his type of work (diesel) he ended up with about 5 job offers. Lots of companys like UK mechanics as technology is more advanced there, we have had the newer engines around for longer so have a better idea of whats what. Hubby now runs training couses for a large company helping to bring the aussie mechanics up to date.

Cal x

Guest PasonJayne

Think that may be the best way forward. land out there do the rounds and show them what we have , as you say face to face is always better as they can see who you are and what type of work ethic/attitude you have.

Also better to know who you may be working for as well, moving to Oz big thing without worry of having nightmare employer, has to work both ways.

Only thing is time scales, if someone was offered employment do you know how long it takes to get employer registered if they havent sponsored before and then how long to lodge visa application and get response. If it is liklely to be still 6 months in my case still may be better to wait on SMPs or run both concurrently. For redrobbersdog what definately be a good idea if state approval hasn't been approved yet.

Thanks guys. I know with SMP's it's a frustrating time for everyone and the uncertainity is driving us mad. Hopefully the elections will be sorted out shortly and we may have a better idea of just how much of a wait we have on our hands! IF ONLY we had decided last year to make the move!!!! :cry:

Guest J.and.K
Hi, my hubby and I are waiting for WA to open so that we can hopefully apply for state sponsorship. With the uncertainty when this will happen we are looking at possible employer sponsorship. My hubby has successfully completed his VETASSESS and we are attending the DIAC EXPO next weekend.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to go about approaching employers for sponsorship. Is there a website anywhere that details businessess which will sponsor?

We have written to Audi Australia because my hubby works for Audi but have had no response. :wacko:

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Dawn

Hi, westrac Caterpiller in Guilford,Perth used to sponsor people, and they don't mind employing car mechanics.

Just give HR a ring and ask....Calem Koek used to be the man in charge.

Sorry i dont have the number but they do have a good website.

:biggrin:

Archived