How to get started in Melbourne?

JamesMu

Hi,

My Australian fiancee and I are hoping to move to Melbourne in the next 1-2 years. We were there for a quick look around in Feb this year and spoke to someone working for a real estate company about the logistics of finding a place to live.

We dont want to buy straight away, so would be looking to rent first of all, probably for the first couple of years. The lady we spoke to said that companies won't rent to someone who hasn't physically seen the place (fair enough as I dont think we would want to sign a lease for a house we have only seen on the internet anyway!), but it got me thinking about what we would do for the first few weeks in Oz.

What have people on the forum done? A hotel is the obvious choice but a month in a hotel would be very expensive! Are there cheaper ways of finding temporary accommodation right at the beginning?

Thanks in advance for your help!

James

Guest gary12

we had a holiday let for almost 4 weeks, any less and you start putting yourself under pressure to get a house. We used www.stayz.com.au

Kate (movingtomelbourne) has a relocation business and I think has short term properties or she will know where to find them.

After looking at lots of rentals you would not want to rent without seeing the house first estate agents are very clever with their photography.

best of luck

Michelle

We also took a short holiday let, but we were a family of 5. I originally booked for 4 weeks but we had to extend to 6 to wait for the place we eventually found to become vacant. You are unlikely to get the first place you go for and looking can take a lot longer than you think as you can only usually view places at specific times along with eveyone else. I would book at least a month if not 6-8 weeks. A lot of people also use things like the Big 4 caravan parks that also have cabins around Melbourne.

Guest Mark X

We actually found a place in Melbourne on a month-to-month lease, they had furnished 1 and 2 bed places in St Kilda and in the city - nothing flash but quick and easy to organise and what we needed at the time.

Think we paid about $350 per week.

I think the place was called Darling Towers? Also use Gum tree and Stayz as well.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi James

Unfortunately the real estate agent was telling you the truth, rentals are still in high demand and agents don't have to do any chasing of tenants therefore they don't bother with people from over seas as there are enough people here desperate to rent.

Unfortunately everyone who moves over (unless they have family/friends here) usually have to go in to short term accommodation, it is not ideal long term because it is expensive, but it does include utilities etc.

You can pick rentals up at around $450 per week but there are not many around and the ones that are get booked up fast. An average rental in the city can cost $200+ per night.

Kate

Guest The Pom Queen
We actually found a place in Melbourne on a month-to-month lease, they had furnished 1 and 2 bed places in St Kilda and in the city - nothing flash but quick and easy to organise and what we needed at the time.

Think we paid about $350 per week.

I think the place was called Darling Towers? Also use Gum tree and Stayz as well.

Hi Mark

Did you mean per night? The reason I ask is the cheapest they have now is $160 per night in St Kilda and $400 per night for a 2 bed in South Yarra?

Kate

Guest Mark X

No per week, it was a couple of years ago though - but suprised its gone up by that much.

We did haggle a bit and agree to pay upfront for a month and tell them we would probably stay for 3 months (which we did).

We had to complete a simple lease type agreement and pay a small depoist so different to a night by night arrangement.

I'll check with my partner later just to make sure my failing memory serves me correctly on everything above!

The St Kilda appartments were opposite the Botanical Gardens.

Guest The Pom Queen
No per week, it was a couple of years ago though - but suprised its gone up by that much.

We did haggle a bit and agree to pay upfront for a month and tell them we would probably stay for 3 months (which we did).

We had to complete a simple lease type agreement and pay a small depoist so different to a night by night arrangement.

I'll check with my partner later just to make sure my failing memory serves me correctly on everything above!

Hi Mark

No worries, I wish there were more properties around at $350 per week as I am always searching for my clients to get them the best deal, unfortunately these days anything near the city is extortionate:wubclub:

Kate

3 Herbert Street Apartments - St Kilda - Darling Towers

they are about 500-600 p.w. now.

After tonight anything with towers or comes with boat will be commanding a high price

Jeez how fast those water levels are rising. :chatterbox:

Its funny, here in Monbulk, we always get far more rain than most of Victoria, but we only had a few drops last night, and a little just this morning.

So far looking not too bad out there :err:

Not sure if people are getting ripped off, that seems a lot per night! We found a hostel in Melbourne, we have our own private room and it is 400 dollars a week between us, breakfast included. Worked out to be just over £200 per week. Not bad for 7 days. I think hostels are prob best for temporary accomodation until you find a decent rental. When we get to Melbourne we have 2 booked weeks of the hostel then hopefully will have found a rental til then.

Guest mansoni

You might want to check out some of the corporate rental companies. Corporate Keys is one that I've come across and has studio apartments from $400 per week. They look pretty smart too, with additional facilities like restaurants and pools. Looks like I'm going to be in one of these come the start of November while I hunt down a house from my family.

You might want to check out some of the corporate rental companies. Corporate Keys is one that I've come across and has studio apartments from $400 per week. They look pretty smart too, with additional facilities like restaurants and pools. Looks like I'm going to be in one of these come the start of November while I hunt down a house from my family.

Thats the Bell residence in Preston, and you have to book for 12 months to get that rate.

Minimum residence as far as I can see is 35 nights for $540 p.w.

http://corporatekeys.com.au/files/Profiles/-%20Corporate%20Keys%20Residences%20Application%20Form%20and%20Credit%20Card%20Authority.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Toorak Trev

Unless your employer is paying food + lodging hotels should be avoided

Hostels are okay if your backpacking or just a couple but

- Some do put limits on time stays

Generally I would advise to seek short term accomodation realise its more expensive and do not compare with long term rental rates - you are not getting ripped off - its a different cost base.

Furkews place up in the dandenongs looks to be the cheapest or perhaps a better way of phrasing it the best value for money I have seen. Through alot of the British Forum sites Kate from Moving to Melbourne gets a good report.

I do think the first 6 weeks are vital that all members of the family are accounted for and the money provider does not forget that moving half way around the world the others may be suffering while they go out and have something else to focus on.

Sitting in a dodgy bedsit at xmas is not my wifes idea of wow this is it:chatterbox:. Someone put it into perspective once when they compared the cost of $700 per week short term accomodation with the cost of a 12 month property taken up too soon and becoming a noose. $350 V $325 = $25 x 52 = $1300.