Sign in to follow this  
Guest PixieV

Complicated de facto timeline...advice plz!

Guest PixieV

Hi,

I met my partner in a house share in Sept 2009.

We became a couple by the end of Oct 2009.

I had moved into his room by the end of Dec 2009.

My room then initially became a storage/junk room until Feb 2010, when it was rented to someone else (I was on a WHV and work was intermittent, so this was done to reduce my rent).

My WHV just expired and we have both come to the UK for time with my family/holidays.

My partner returns to Oz at the end of October and myself a month after this, on a tourist visa. We then hope to apply for de facto early Feb 2011, currently unsure as to whether this would be better on or off shore? The only issue I have with off shore is that it could mean a long time apart whilst the visa is being processed and for any possible interviews, we would not be in the same country.

My other concern is do we meet the 12 months? I understand that to be classed as de facto we have to have been living as couple, sharing a room, bills etc and so this was from Dec and our housemate can write a statement describing the nature of our relationship. Obviously having someone else move in Feb 2010 is proved by paper; rental agreement, bank statements etc. My concern is that there will be an issue with the month my partner spends in Oz whilst I am in the UK. He cannot stay any longer as he has a job to return to, whereas I obviously do not and would like further time with my family and friends, given I will hopefully not be returning for a while if we are successful with an application.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks!!

Separations due to work commitments are allowed, so one month apart shouldn't be too much of a problem, provided you keep records of how you kept in touch (e.g. phone bills, emails, Skype records). incidentally, videoskype eats up a fair amount of bandwidth, so he'll want to keep an eye on his internet data allowance if you keep in touch this way - my boyfriend got landed with a rather large bill the first month we were apart.

You'll also want to closely document the time you're spending in the UK, assuming you're staying with family/friends for this period, and not actually paying rent/bills etc.

Where will you be in australia? if you're in a state that has a relationship register, then it might help to get registered.

wrt applying offshore, once you have applied you can then enter the country on a tourist/ETA visa, and just pop over to NZ or somewhere close when they are ready to grant your visa.

Since you'd be on a tourist visa if you apply for an onshore visa, your bridging visa won't have work rights, so it wouldn't be much different to applying offshore and coming in on a tourist visa, except that on a bridging visa you'd have to apply for a bridging visa B to leave the country, and they don't just hand those out for holidays, whereas on an ETA you could come and go as you please, just have to pop out every three months.

Guest PixieV

Thanks for your comments. I hadn't realised I could apply off shore and still enter Oz on a tourist visa. I had assumed that if I applied off shore, I would have to stay out until a decision was made. It might be better for me to return to NSW when my partner does in Oct, and then come back to the UK when my 3 month tourist visa expires and apply then. It would mean we wouldn't have had that month apart then at the time of applying and I can visit family etc. Thanks again!

Guest Thamby
Thanks for your comments. I hadn't realised I could apply off shore and still enter Oz on a tourist visa. I had assumed that if I applied off shore, I would have to stay out until a decision was made. It might be better for me to return to NSW when my partner does in Oct, and then come back to the UK when my 3 month tourist visa expires and apply then. It would mean we wouldn't have had that month apart then at the time of applying and I can visit family etc. Thanks again!

You can apply for a 6 month tourist visa 105AU dollars online:biggrin:

You can apply for a 6 month tourist visa 105AU dollars online:biggrin:

That visa is valid for a 12 month period from when it is issued so in effect you can stay for 6 months at a time and then enter the day before it is due to expire and stay another 6 months, effectively giving you an almost 18 month visa. We have just got this visa for my mother in law and I had the above scenario confirmed by Aus house.

There are plenty of options. Just make sure that you have plenty of evidence when you apply, it's a big chunk of money to loose if you get rejected if you dont thane the evidence.

Good luck, you have come to the right place for advise.