register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest ukswannabeozzies

National broadband network

Guest ukswannabeozzies

Just wondering if anyone has heard any news about the NBN rollout, Im hoping this will be on the go by the time we are going to be moving over (just starting process). As a fibre cable splicer i would have to be employer sponsered and the Broadband rollout should hopefully make it a safe bet.

Well from a taxpayer pragmatic point of view, I do hope it is consigned to the dustbin of history. A huge white elephant which we cannot afford at current predicted cost and certainly will not be able to afford at "real" cost. It will be irrelevant if the greens have their way because we will have nothing to power it with anyway. All the best with your cable splicing but dont wish that huge white elephant upon us.

Guest ukswannabeozzies

cant agree with you there, we put our network down about 17 yrs ago but because it was done privately it doesnt cover everywhere, so people in our areas have an option of 10, 20 0r 50mb speeds and we are trialling 100mb and those outside have to hope they live in an exchange. its called progress, and at one point the infrastructure has to be put down. its that or you suddenly find your lagging behind most other countries in the world and it will cost a damn sight more in the future

Guest fibreman

Hi, Ukswannabeozzies

I know you wrote this a year ago but i could not agree more, i am qualified in fibre optic and would like to know more did you have any luck and were are you at, at the moment