Our Australian adventure Has begun

PontePom

That post makes you sound really old:biglaugh: I bet you are the sameish age as me...43?

JOHN

Need a like button like they have on facebook! Thanks didn't seem the appropriate response! so LIKE from a 38 year old!

I agree lol

from a 45 year old:biglaugh:

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The plate has arrived and is now fitted on the car and its having it's safety check done tomorrow.

So fingers crossed that'll be that :biggrin:

So so sort this out and fit plate etc $150.00

Engineers Fee $180.00

Safety Certificate $104.50

Air Conditioning filling $ 95.00

Personal import plate etc $ 86.00

GST $ 55.95

Total $615.50

I've arranged for my brother to pick it up for me as he's near where the garage is on Wednesday.

Then he'll drive it to me on Thursday and we'll sort out the REGO stuff and take hire car back.

Costs for Rego:

Reg fee $270.30

Duty (New registration) $210.00

Traffic Improvement fee $ 47.15

Total $550.90

CTP insurance $313.00

Comprehensive Insurance with Just Car Insurance

$837.00

Total Insurance cost $1,701.90

But $210 of it is because it's a new registration fee

OUCH lol

Howard

I have been wondering so many times if it was actually worth bringing our car and tbh the verdict is still out.

It'll be with me very soon and I can't wait.

Yes it's cost money and the hire car to cover while it arrived has been the worst costs.

But I also read the posts about shared container shipments and not having left the UK after weeks/months and it starts to make me realise that putting it all together shipping car and then taking full sole use container I reckon it was a good plan for us even if it's cost us more than the cars worth now in total.

We did it and if I had the choice again I'd probably ship it again to avoid using a shared container.

Howard

That post makes you sound really old:biglaugh: I bet you are the sameish age as me...43?

JOHN

No mate, REALLY old. My youngest reckons I knew pythagoras. It's funny how every generation has something that their parents can't relate to and really pisses them off. When I was growing up it was long hair, earings on guys, really loud rock music, spending lots of money on fast cars and drinking.....

Oh well at least some things haven't changed. Still can't get used to kids disappearing into bedrooms for hours on end, talking to imaginary "friends" on facebook. No wonder there is an obesity problem. Being a parent now makes me realise what hell I must have put mine through. We didn't have a phone at home and I used to go out on Friday night and sometimes not get home till Sunday morning. My parents were always sure I would turn up then though, we had a soccer game Sunday mornings.

Just had an email from insureyourmove to say the money has been sent to our bank account.

So I can't recommend them enough. Good price to start with very easy to deal with and swift payout. What more can you ask for???

My brother picked up my car yesterday and is bringing it to me this morning so I can get the rego sorted.

I had the get the CTP sorted so it could be driven to get the rego which I did through RACQ but they filled out the form wrong putting that it would expire in 2010 not 2011. So I rang them and said I had to go back to get it changed and stamped etc. But when I explained it was difficult for me to do the manager came to my house on her way home which was fantastic of her.

Can't wait to get rid of the expense of the hire car. Don't want to think how much it's cost us for the 7 weeks of rental.

I think this is probably the biggest expense of importing a car...

I'll report back once the car is sorted

Howard

Well things didn't go as planned today :frown:

My brother brought me our car and it was great to see it.

I got everything I needed and off I went to get the REGO...

But when I got to the counter after a wait of about 20 minutes and after handing over everything they required I see her typing stuff on her keyboard and frowning at the screen.

Then she says we have a problem your vehicles vin number is not on the database and we can't rego the car until it is.

I was well "nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

She made a phone call to Brisbane but it didn't help not on database so nothing could be done!!!

She did the checks on the car while it was there so I don't have to drive it back when I go, because it wouldn't be covered by insurance to drive a 2nd time.

I got a call from Brisbane telling me the details had been sent and it'll be sorted in a couple of days.

So had to extend hire car until Saturday (more expense) then drive my brother home and now hopefully I'll be able to do the REGO tomorrow.

If not the hire car is going back on Saturday whatever but we'll have to thumb a lift home now lol I mean catch a bus.

Oh well best made plans don't always come good.

So we have 2 cars in garage now but only 1 we can drive.

So fingers crossed it'll all happen tomorrow.

Howard

Well things didn't go as planned today :frown:

My brother brought me our car and it was great to see it.

I got everything I needed and off I went to get the REGO...

But when I got to the counter after a wait of about 20 minutes and after handing over everything they required I see her typing stuff on her keyboard and frowning at the screen.

Then she says we have a problem your vehicles vin number is not on the database and we can't rego the car until it is.

I was well "nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

She made a phone call to Brisbane but it didn't help not on database so nothing could be done!!!

She did the checks on the car while it was there so I don't have to drive it back when I go, because it wouldn't be covered by insurance to drive a 2nd time.

I got a call from Brisbane telling me the details had been sent and it'll be sorted in a couple of days.

So had to extend hire car until Saturday (more expense) then drive my brother home and now hopefully I'll be able to do the REGO tomorrow.

If not the hire car is going back on Saturday whatever but we'll have to thumb a lift home now lol I mean catch a bus.

Oh well best made plans don't always come good.

So we have 2 cars in garage now but only 1 we can drive.

So fingers crossed it'll all happen tomorrow.

Howard

Sounds like it's been pretty hard work sorting all the car stuff out! I'm lucky that we only have a cheap car so will def be selling it & looking to buy one when we get there! Hope they sort it all out for you tomorrow, thanks for the update.

Cara

So...

Got a phone call from them this morning to say they still had a problem that the VIN number was incorrect so they can't do anything until this is sorted.

So I rang the lady I'd spoke to yesterday and after a while got to her and while speaking to her I got a call on my mobile to say it's ok all sorted it's been added to the database. So I rang off from the other call and talked to Helensvale office again asking when can I come down to sort it out only to be told it takes 24 hours for it to be on their computing system.:arghh::arghh::arghh:

So nothing I can do until Monday now.

So taking the hire car back on Saturday has planned but will have to make our own way home now cos can't drive the Clio :cry: Looking at buses but it seems a few changes to do so or around $32 in a taxi:frown:

Pam will have to bus it to work on Monday and all being well I'll have the car sorted to pick her up. But I'll have to walk to get the plates walk home then fit them etc.

So when making plans to do something which you think will be quite simple beware...

I made plans to have it all sorted and done with by now no buses or taxi's required and because I like to be organised I was so pleased with how it was going to work out and Pam who arrives back home this evening from being away for 3 nights in Brisbane, I'd planned a nice chilling weekend and a nice drive out somewhere on Sunday.

But nope that's all gone wrong.

Oh well we'll be smiling about it soon enough lol

Howard

The car is sorted finally :jiggy::jiggy:

Walked down this morning and walked back excited.

Fitted plates on car.

Then sorted fully comp insurance and RACQ membership.

Then when sorting the money out in bank book I noticed that when I got the REGO they'd added the CTP insurance in even though I showed them that I'd already purchased it.

So another trip back but at least I could drive back down.

So happy to have it all sorted and to see our car in garage and not the hire car...

I just gotta remember that thing called a clutch now cos not used to having one lol

So prolly no more updates for a while as into normal daily life now...

Hopefully report on selling the house soon in Pontefract as that's our last obstacle to get over...

Love living here and it feels so like home.

Howard

Replying quicker than expected but we've had an offer on the house and we've accepted it :jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:

£9,000 below asking price but we were thinking of knocking £5,000 off the price as a last hope to get a sale.

They have deposit in place so fingers crossed things will move swiftly.

I've asked my agent to ask for a quick sale at the accepted price so lets see how things go.

So maybe this could be the last piece in our jigsaw.

Well maybe not cos we might sell it but dare we bring the money over here at this exchange rate?????????

Howard

Replying quicker than expected but we've had an offer on the house and we've accepted it :jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:

£9,000 below asking price but we were thinking of knocking £5,000 off the price as a last hope to get a sale.

I've asked my agent to ask for a quick sale at the accepted price so lets see how things go.

Well maybe not cos we might sell it but dare we bring the money over here at this exchange rate?????????

Howard

That is good news about the house, Howard. Hope it goes smoothly.

Howard

That's great news! But yeah you might want to bank it for while! I'm so glad its all coming together for you. Are you still loving oz? How is your wife enjoying her job?

Cara x

That's great news! But yeah you might want to bank it for while! I'm so glad its all coming together for you

Yeah that will be the plan with the money...

Are you still loving oz?

Very much so.

How is your wife enjoying her job?

She's loving it :-)

She's had some ups and downs.

Howard

Archived