Our Australian adventure Has begun

PontePom

Fantastic posts! Really upbeat and positive. I think your attitude is tantamount to whether you make it or break it in Australia (talking generally here). We are over in 12 weeks and my wife has been offered 2 jobs, one in the Gold coast and one on the Sunshine coast. Need to decide where we want to go. Cant wait to crack on with it.

JOHN

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know, it is so great to read someone with such a positive, let us get up and at 'em attitude. The only way to succeed in Australia is to leave your UK life behind (I don't mean forget the family!!!) and put all your energy in to your new life in Oz. That is what we did when we emigrated and we never had a problem. You just have to put your hands over your ears and sing lah, lah, lah, lah, lah when you are around whingeing poms. Their experiences are exactly that, THEIR EXPERIENCES!! I have lived in Adelaide and Melbourne for 17 years, and even I feel like slashing my wrists when I read some of the negativity on this site. God help people reading it when they are just about to fly out. Another thing I find quite strange on reading some posts, they are talking about returning to the UK when they haven't even left!! Talk about a defeatist attitude. Make as many Australian friends as you can (also not whingers) as that also helps you to feel at home. Most of them are very welcoming and you will find that you are not always having conversations about the UK! Just a thought!!! We are currently living in the UK having returned solely to travel around the UK and Europe. We emigrated in our early 20's with two young sons, so never had the money or the opportunity to do it before we left for Australia. We have now got the travel bug out of our system, I think the airline strikes also helped with this LOL. My daughter (born in Adelaide) returned two years ago and is happlily settled again and my two sons and their family are also returning in January 2011. Me and hubby return on 30 November, just in time to miss another cold, miserable winter. Luckily we are all Australian Citizens so only had to book our fare. I wish all those reading this post a safe landing in Australia and a very happy life there!

wow what a day :-)

Our goods came today they said 11am but they were here at 9.15am

They were fantastic

Only a Mickey Mouse ornament broken which is not bad but Pam is not happy cos she loves Mickey Mouse but all being well a bit of glue will sort it.

Quite a bit still to sort out but loads sorted and typing on a full size keyboard and a 26" screen is great :-)

I'll update more as we get through it all and recovered a bit cos rather tired.

John Masons have been fantastic from start to finish and can't recommend then enough to whoever has any doubts...

Howard

Hi,

My husband and I just want to say thanks so much for these posts. We are just starting out with the visa process and it is great to get an insight to the end product! It's really uselful and intersting, can't wait to hear more updates :-)

Just been unpacking the last few bits onto a new bought unit and found our Disney castle ornament to be broken :-(

It was what we bought Pam for her 40th birthday.

Also we can't find an attachment for our Dyson vacuum cleaner.

So just contacted insureyourmove to see what we do next.

Car should be here end of next week now.

Unfortunately it was sat waiting to be collected from Thursday and finally was picked up yesterday. So wasted time and we've had to extend our hire car again :realmad:

But nothing we can do about it...

It's only money!!!

Even if we're running low now on reserves (Until house sells)

Car only needed 1 bracket fitting in the boot for compliance.

I've been told the total cost to have the car sorted will be around $500.

So not too bad...

I've got a quote for the rego online and that was $550.90 and $863.90 with CTP insurance.

The weathers been WET!!! recently lol

Bought a dryer yesterday just so we could dry some clothes.

My outside washing line which is under cover was not working in the thunderstorms lol

And using the outside washing airer was a no go...

Sounds like we in for 3 months of storms from what I was reading in the paper today.

Oh well at least we're used to it :wink:

I'm glad so many have found this post to be useful to them.

I'm really enjoying adding to it as we go along.

But as you probably have read I say it as it is and no rose tinted glasses and again these are my views and how we have found things. Not everyone will agree or like what we like.

Howard

I am so enjoying reading all of your threads. I was a little anxious about our move to aus but after reading these threads, you are all putting my mind at rest.

From all of your messages, I have picked out so many bits of good advice.

My husband, four yr old daughter and myself, are moving to Brisbane in April 2011. I have been planning this for yrs. My husband has dragged his heels because of his job but finally, I have pinned him down. We got our visas last year and came out to Aus last Oct to activate them.

We thought we might head for Buderim. We wanted to live near mountains and beach. Is it better to organise a rental property before we leave uk? What are your thoughts on shipping cats?

Heidi

Guest Lowther

Howard re sausages it's my 13 year olds staple diet and it took me 1 year to find super butchers in Oxenford there british pork sausages are the ony ones he can eat. You dont live near Warwick Place Helensvale as I was hoping its not my noisy music LOL!

Howard re sausages it's my 13 year olds staple diet and it took me 1 year to find super butchers in Oxenford there british pork sausages are the ony ones he can eat. You dont live near Warwick Place Helensvale as I was hoping its not my noisy music LOL!

Nearly 3km away so I guess not lol

Although since I had a word with neighbour all has been well plus now shipping arrived we can play our own music loud now lol

I'll have a look at that butchers and thanks for the tip

Howard

I am so enjoying reading all of your threads. I was a little anxious about our move to aus but after reading these threads, you are all putting my mind at rest.

I'm glad you found them useful

Is it better to organise a rental property before we leave uk?

We found it worked for us and we love this place and can extend as we want to which is great.

But we we're very lucky with my brother viewing it for us and the agent got a good vibe and she had shown so many round the house but she picked us

What are your thoughts on shipping cats?

Heidi

Sorry but can't help you on that one

Good luck

Howard

Another little update...

On the damages/lost item with our shipping Removals Insurance | International Removals Insurance | from Insure Your Move have been fantastic they've settled and we should have the money in our bank in the UK very soon.

So if unsure don't be and go with them...

Our car has now been signed off and the plate has been ordered and should be fitted on the car Monday afternoon. Safety inspection for a certificate is booked in for Wednesday Lunchtime. The aircon gas was being filled up today.

I have to then arrange delivery.

So fingers crossed we'll hopefully have it by the end of next week.

I hope so because our car rental expires again on that Saturday.

Can't sort the CTP insurance until the plate is sorted.

Then just to get it registered and away we can go :-)

Then just to sort the comprehensive insurance out...

Lots to do but nice to have someone doing it for you to save the agro and stress.

House is well and truly sorted now with everything we ever wanted and probably more.

Bought aDelonghi EN720M Nespresso Lattissima Premium

http://www.thestorehouse.com.au/delonghi-en720m-nespresso-lattissima-premium-coffee-machine.html

All I can say is best thing we've bought fantastic cappuccino's every time and all with the press of a button it does the milk froth as well It uses pods for the coffee so tastes exactly the same every time and wow...

Loads of choice of strengths of coffee as well.

That's it for now

Next time hopefully we'll have our car here

Howard

Another little update...

On the damages/lost item with our shipping Removals Insurance | International Removals Insurance | from Insure Your Move have been fantastic they've settled and we should have the money in our bank in the UK very soon.

So if unsure don't be and go with them...

Our car has now been signed off and the plate has been ordered and should be fitted on the car Monday afternoon. Safety inspection for a certificate is booked in for Wednesday Lunchtime. The aircon gas was being filled up today.

I have to then arrange delivery.

So fingers crossed we'll hopefully have it by the end of next week.

I hope so because our car rental expires again on that Saturday.

Can't sort the CTP insurance until the plate is sorted.

Then just to get it registered and away we can go :-)

Then just to sort the comprehensive insurance out...

Lots to do but nice to have someone doing it for you to save the agro and stress.

House is well and truly sorted now with everything we ever wanted and probably more.

http://www.thestorehouse.com.au/delonghi-en720m-nespresso-lattissima-premium-coffee-machine.html

All I can say is best thing we've bought fantastic cappuccino's every time and all with the press of a button it does the milk froth as well It uses pods for the coffee so tastes exactly the same every time and wow...

That's it for now

Howard

Glad its all going so well Howard! lots of good info as we're one step behind! Now time for our countdown to begin! 6 weeks and 2 days! Got an offer on the house on monday, lower than we wanted but in current market best to cut our losses now we think! Survey was yesterday so they are serious! My replacement has started, cars left and house sold so no going back now, not that we've wanted to!

Rose

Glad its all going so well Howard! lots of good info as we're one step behind! Now time for our countdown to begin! 6 weeks and 2 days! Got an offer on the house on monday, lower than we wanted but in current market best to cut our losses now we think! Survey was yesterday so they are serious! My replacement has started, cars left and house sold so no going back now, not that we've wanted to!

Rose

Hi Rose,

Wow that's great news with the house even if it's less than you wanted.

I spoke to our estate agent yesterday for an update and no movement at all on our house :no:

But nothing we can do...

I'll get more worried if I'm saying the same in another 6 months.

Those 6 weeks will fly by

Howard

Hi Rose,

Wow that's great news with the house even if it's less than you wanted.

I spoke to our estate agent yesterday for an update and no movement at all on our house :no:

But nothing we can do...

I'll get more worried if I'm saying the same in another 6 months.

Those 6 weeks will fly by

Howard

I think its the market at the moment, we would have to rent it out and the fees and rent not covering the mortgage would mean we lose the same within 6 months if we decided to wait a while!

I know it seems only 5 minutes since I was saying 10 weeks!

Rose

Do you know, it is so great to read someone with such a positive, let us get up and at 'em attitude. The only way to succeed in Australia is to leave your UK life behind (I don't mean forget the family!!!) and put all your energy in to your new life in Oz. That is what we did when we emigrated and we never had a problem. You just have to put your hands over your ears and sing lah, lah, lah, lah, lah when you are around whingeing poms. Their experiences are exactly that, THEIR EXPERIENCES!! I have lived in Adelaide and Melbourne for 17 years, and even I feel like slashing my wrists when I read some of the negativity on this site. God help people reading it when they are just about to fly out. Another thing I find quite strange on reading some posts, they are talking about returning to the UK when they haven't even left!! Talk about a defeatist attitude. Make as many Australian friends as you can (also not whingers) as that also helps you to feel at home. Most of them are very welcoming and you will find that you are not always having conversations about the UK! Just a thought!!! We are currently living in the UK having returned solely to travel around the UK and Europe. We emigrated in our early 20's with two young sons, so never had the money or the opportunity to do it before we left for Australia. We have now got the travel bug out of our system, I think the airline strikes also helped with this LOL. My daughter (born in Adelaide) returned two years ago and is happlily settled again and my two sons and their family are also returning in January 2011. Me and hubby return on 30 November, just in time to miss another cold, miserable winter. Luckily we are all Australian Citizens so only had to book our fare. I wish all those reading this post a safe landing in Australia and a very happy life there!

Some other things I would limit myself on if you want to make a go of it.

SKYPE: If you spend so much time on there talking to people back in the UK you won't get a feel for where you have moved to. The "friends" back there hardly want to hear what a great time you are having, how nice the weather is, how much time you spend down the beach, how good a tan you have etc. They are going to be jealous and, no doubt, respond by saying something like "we all went out at the weekend to wherever and had a great time, you should have been there" or much to that effect. They are hardly likely to say how crap things are, even if they are.

Facebook: Amazes me how much time people can waste sitting in front of a computer thinking they are keeping up with "friends". It reminds me of the advert on TV for BCF stores (boating Camping fishing) where a pasty guy is sat in front of the computer slaying dragons all weekend with a mouse. The point being "that's not living mate".

SMS and mobile phones in general: How many times have you been talking to someone, deep in conversation and their mobile rings or they get an SMS and your conversation gets put on the back burner while they check out the, obviously, more important text or phone call. It's just plain rude and I'd make a point of not even trying to engage them in a conversation again. The number of times I have seen couples or friends out with each other and all are checking out mobiles or talking on them instead of enjoying the company you are with and talking to them. I reckon restaurants should ban them, like smoking is banned. While I'm at it ban laptops too.

There, rant over I'll wait till the young brigade get on here with "i couldn't survive without my mobile, SKYPE, facebook" (delete whichever is not applicable) I am going to get flamed for this.

While I'm on the laptop subject has anyone noticed when they advertise laptops it always shows you someone (usually a fairly hot girl) with a laptop sat on a beach somewhere. I have to ask myself WHY?? She should be enjoying the company of a good looking boyfriend and frolicking around in the surf, thinking about a good night out sans mobile phone. That's just my opinion though.

My husband, four yr old daughter and myself, are moving to Brisbane in April 2011. I have been planning this for yrs. My husband has dragged his heels because of his job but finally, I have pinned him down. We got our visas last year and came out to Aus last Oct to activate them.

We thought we might head for Buderim. We wanted to live near mountains and beach. Is it better to organise a rental property before we leave uk? What are your thoughts on shipping cats?

Heidi

Plenty of cats out here already.

Rose

Hiya,

I noticed you got your visa's quite quickly, can I ask what sort of visa you applied for as we're undecided. We've got the choise of the state sponsored but not the state we want, or just the skills visa but apparently it can take 2-4 years!

Sounds like it's all go for you now! How exciting! Can't wait til we get to that point! :biggrin:

Hiya,

I noticed you got your visa's quite quickly, can I ask what sort of visa you applied for as we're undecided. We've got the choise of the state sponsored but not the state we want, or just the skills visa but apparently it can take 2-4 years!

Sounds like it's all go for you now! How exciting! Can't wait til we get to that point! :biggrin:

I was 175 but was on the old CSL, I thought at the time we took ages compared to other CSLs because normally when you have the medical you are a month away maximum from the decision we waited 6 months! I'll be honest the system has changed so much my knowledge is out of date, i think if you've already applied then its a 2-4 year wait but I think once they get the new SMPs out and you know what state you can go for and actually apply its should be quicker! They're just taking their time with issuing them- unless I've missed it! Not on as much at the moment!

Yes all go, excited but stress of work is overshawdowing it, getting their last pound or 2 of flesh out of me! No colly wobbles tho!

I was 175 but was on the old CSL, I thought at the time we took ages compared to other CSLs because normally when you have the medical you are a month away maximum from the decision we waited 6 months! I'll be honest the system has changed so much my knowledge is out of date, i think if you've already applied then its a 2-4 year wait but I think once they get the new SMPs out and you know what state you can go for and actually apply its should be quicker! They're just taking their time with issuing them- unless I've missed it! Not on as much at the moment!

Yes all go, excited but stress of work is overshawdowing it, getting their last pound or 2 of flesh out of me! No colly wobbles tho!

Yeah I've realised since I've been on here we might as well wait for the SMP list as it seems it's going to be soonish. It might even be before we're ready as we've still got the skills assessement to do through the TRA. I'm really hoping to get it sorted before xmas if poss.

Are you having much time off between work & flying out? Do you have a job to go to?

Yeah I've realised since I've been on here we might as well wait for the SMP list as it seems it's going to be soonish. It might even be before we're ready as we've still got the skills assessement to do through the TRA. I'm really hoping to get it sorted before xmas if poss.

Are you having much time off between work & flying out? Do you have a job to go to?

I think thats probbaly the best plan!

We have a week off, work is crazy for us both having projects to finish before we go. My boss took on a temp for 6 months while I got the new accounts software up and running, the temp was so bad that I had to help with my normal job as well so deadlines weren't missed, the software got behind schedule so I've been working weekends! Next weekend is my last thankfully helped with the cash flow though! The temp was also meant to be my replacement but he had to go so I am also training the new replacement over next few weeks! Luckily she seems OK- which is good since I recomended her!

Far from ideal but working has stopped us spending! The week off will be spent cleaning the house and our stuff!

I don't have a job but have been told theres plenty but they're not interested in seeing me until I'm there. My hubby has had an interview and is 95% certain he has a job but is just waiting for the formal offer, but WA is called WA WA Wait awhile and we seem to be! Not worried as this job is being created for him because they want him

Some other things I would limit myself on if you want to make a go of it.

SKYPE: If you spend so much time on there talking to people back in the UK you won't get a feel for where you have moved to. The "friends" back there hardly want to hear what a great time you are having, how nice the weather is, how much time you spend down the beach, how good a tan you have etc. They are going to be jealous and, no doubt, respond by saying something like "we all went out at the weekend to wherever and had a great time, you should have been there" or much to that effect. They are hardly likely to say how crap things are, even if they are.

Facebook: Amazes me how much time people can waste sitting in front of a computer thinking they are keeping up with "friends". It reminds me of the advert on TV for BCF stores (boating Camping fishing) where a pasty guy is sat in front of the computer slaying dragons all weekend with a mouse. The point being "that's not living mate".

SMS and mobile phones in general: How many times have you been talking to someone, deep in conversation and their mobile rings or they get an SMS and your conversation gets put on the back burner while they check out the, obviously, more important text or phone call. It's just plain rude and I'd make a point of not even trying to engage them in a conversation again. The number of times I have seen couples or friends out with each other and all are checking out mobiles or talking on them instead of enjoying the company you are with and talking to them. I reckon restaurants should ban them, like smoking is banned. While I'm at it ban laptops too.

There, rant over I'll wait till the young brigade get on here with "i couldn't survive without my mobile, SKYPE, facebook" (delete whichever is not applicable) I am going to get flamed for this.

While I'm on the laptop subject has anyone noticed when they advertise laptops it always shows you someone (usually a fairly hot girl) with a laptop sat on a beach somewhere. I have to ask myself WHY?? She should be enjoying the company of a good looking boyfriend and frolicking around in the surf, thinking about a good night out sans mobile phone. That's just my opinion though.

That post makes you sound really old:biglaugh: I bet you are the sameish age as me...43?

JOHN

That's it for now

Howard

Is that the same principle as a Tasimo?

JOHN

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Keep it coming mate sounds like your settling in well, best of luck buddy.

Your doing better than Leeds lol, they have the biggest squad in the championship and could field two teams, but i don't think Grayson knows which is his best team, hopefully when the season progresses other teams will get injuries and if we do, we have plenty to come in, so i am hoping we come good as time goes on.

Keep it coming mate sounds like your settling in well, best of luck buddy.

Thanks for that m8 :-)

We're really happy apart from the damn weather :-(

Just need our house to sell now and all is done.

Contemplating reducing it by another £5,000 to try and move it quicker.

Your doing better than Leeds lol, they have the biggest squad in the championship and could field two teams, but i don't think Grayson knows which is his best team, hopefully when the season progresses other teams will get injuries and if we do, we have plenty to come in, so i am hoping we come good as time goes on.

I think Grayson is a great manager but I agree with you and they lose a game and he makes loads of changes. Not always the best way to go.

I should know as I managed my sons football team for over 3 years.

Howard

Archived